TiVo Help forums

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 16, 2017 at 3:56:23 PM) shuste73
0 followers
Roamio OTA Netflix quality, Hulu caching, "account closed"
Feb 15, 2017 at 12:04:20 AM (Updated: Feb 15, 2017 at 12:12:16 AM)  |  #1

I just got a Roamio OTA 4 days ago from Amazon with a lifetime subscription service. 

I set up a bunch of shows to record from the digital antenna, and several channels keep saying "account closed" and not recording. The setup page shows that I'm set up with a lifetime subscription and it's connected several times today. I rebooted yesterday and nothing recorded last night. Several shows should record again tonight, so that's the test. 

Some shows have recorded, just not on "The CW" channel (which works fine, just doesn't record). 

NETFLIX: quality is really bad. How can I change that? Quality is fine on my Roku, my Samsung TV, my laptop, etc. Just BAD on the Tivo ONLY. Why? 

HULU: keeps pausing/loading, even when I set the quality down to 1mb/sec. I ran a speedtest.net test and my download speeds are 68mb/sec, which is MORE than enough. As with Netflix, Hulu has no issues on any of my other devices. 

The Tivo is only a few feet away from my wireless router. I'm NOT going to run an ethernet cable across my living room, so it's WiFi or the Tivo can go bye-bye.

So, basically, the interface is cool but recording the TV doesn't work right, Netflix quality is bad, and Hulu pauses repeatedly during an episode. This Tivo is going back to Amazon in a couple of days if these issues can't be resolved. I paid a LOT of money for the lifetime subscription, TOO MUCH for these sorts of basic, simple problems to be happening. 

EDIT: ... the Tivo just lost all signal while watching Hulu and wouldn't reconnect to the Tivo service until I rebooted. My experience so far is well below acceptable. I'd better save the box because I'm 80% of the way toward sending this junk back.

0 followers
Feb 15, 2017 at 10:33:33 AM  |  #2

Update: the CW shows that used to say "account closed" recorded last night for the first time. 

I didn't try Hulu again after the Tivo lost the signal. The signal is 100%, by the way, because I have a high-end Asus WiFi router and literally none of the other devices in my house has a problem... EVER. 

The Netflix and Hulu issues are still deal breakers. Tivo support, I'm looking for real support, please don't tell me to update/reset/etc. things that I've already done.

0 followers
Feb 15, 2017 at 10:12:55 PM  |  #3

Hello? Bueller? 

(Last Login: Apr 9, 2017 at 8:38:38 AM) cybergrimes
cybergrimes
0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:04:22 PM  |  #4

Sorry this isn't a very active community forum-- more folks can help over at tivocommunity.com

Netflix-- there's a setting in your Netflix account (using web browser) for "Playback Settings" which defaults to auto but can be changed to "High" forcing best possible speed for every device. Do you have that set at high?

Hulu-- unfortunately I think your experience is not uncommon at the moment, I'm having  issue with "pausing" or cutting out after watching for 30 minutes or so. It's not a new issue either...

cybergrimes
0 followers
0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:19:07 PM  |  #6

Thanks, cybergrimes. I posted here because I thought Tivo monitored their forums. I guess they don't really care. 

I searched the forums already for these issues. Tivo telling people to login/logout and restart the app isn't helpful because they never figure out the problem that way. I used to manage a tech support team and I didn't like people to close cases with "reboot computer" because then we didn't know what happened and we couldn't stop it from happening to other people and/or fix the bug. 

I got a free Roku with my new SlingTV subscription and the Roku streams Netflix and Hulu flawlessly AND works with SlingTV. 

The whole point of the Tivo was to have one consolidated place for all my TV viewing. And it doesn't do that.

If Tivo doesn't jump in to help by tomorrow, then they clearly don't want my money and I'm happy to give my money to a company that cares about its customers.

cybergrimes
0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:26:58 PM  |  #7

I hear you but I think the Hulu app issues are a Hulu problem to fix. They make the app, TiVo just provides the platform. There's a decent thread on some issues here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/issue-with-hulu-app-on-

As a new customer coming in I wouldn't blame you for making a return though, you have a return period unlike the rest of us who have had a working app back when we bought our devices...

cybergrimes
0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:37:29 PM  |  #8

"I set up a bunch of shows to record from the digital antenna, and several channels keep saying "account closed" and not recording. The setup page shows that I'm set up with a lifetime subscription and it's connected several times today."

Have you called TiVo to discuss this? There could be an issue with your activation regardless of what the setup page is telling you...

0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:39:15 PM  |  #9

If it were a Hulu problem, then why does Hulu work fine on my Dish (which I haven't canceled yet), Roku 3, Roku mini, Samsung TV, Vizio TV, every tablet in the house, every laptop in the house? 

And why did Hulu get worse until the Tivo couldn't connect, then I had to reboot and Hulu worked again? 

The "account closed" issue lasted a few days and didn't come back (yet). Was probably a lag on Tivo's side.

I'd always heard great things about Tivo. Too bad, really, that they have fallen so far behind.

cybergrimes
0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:50:37 PM  |  #10

I'm not saying Hulu as a service is the problem, I'm saying Hulu designed software running on TiVo devices is the problem. I can't say why Hulu worked after the reboot, it's very similar to the problem I have where exiting the app/restarting it fixes the pausing/stutter-- no other TiVo app does this to me, it's something in the Hulu coding.

TiVo retail boxes don't have a lot of customers really so app makers don't give it a lot of attention like major platform players such as Roku, Android, etc.

0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 12:55:48 PM  |  #11

Thanks for the help, but I just requested a refund from Amazon. This thing was nearly $400 with the lifetime subscription service and it's terrible at Hulu and Netflix, to the point where I'd even say the Tivo doesn't even function properly (having to reboot every day or two = "broken" in my mind).

I didn't even mention that the YouTube app doesn't even open. Or that the Showcase feature is always blank. Or that there are no apps I can add to it (I looked and one guy developed Reversi for it... no thanks). Or that the OperaTV thing was really a waste of time. 

Super disappointed in this experience.

(Last Login: Mar 24, 2017 at 6:43:15 PM) tivosupport_flora
tivosupport_flora
0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 2:40:58 PM  |  #12

Hi shuste73! We apologize for the delay. If you could please send me a private message with the phone number and email associated with your account, we would be happy to look into this further for you.

0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 3:18:55 PM (Updated: Feb 16, 2017 at 3:57:53 PM)  |  #13

Sorry, I already boxed it up and returned it this morning. 

To recap: 

• It took 4 days to get it to record OTA HD shows without telling me "account closed." 
  • Hulu is slow and crashed and required me to reboot daily, rendering it unusable
  • Netflix quality is very low; my wife refused to use the Tivo to watch Netflix, effectively making it unusable
  • YouTube app doesn't work, just get a black screen
  • "apps" feature is a non-feature and should be removed since there are no apps
  • OperaTV apps aren't even worth it if they're free. Don't bother.
  • Tuner didn't get all the shows that the built-in tuner in the TV could get, e.g. California Music Channel (CMC), which is a nice, free music station I'd been listening to before I got the Tivo
  • Showcase never worked at all - why include it? 
  • I had to reboot every time the wifi connection went bad
  • EDIT: Pandora had INSANE bass. I've got a big subwoofer and I had to keep turning it down for Pandora and then back up again for TV or using other devices. There was no way to adjust this via software that I could find.
Note: my wifi is fine, no other devices had any issues. The router was literally 6 feet from the Tivo and it had 100% signal strength when it worked. I have a large house and I get great wifi even in the opposite side and one floor up. 
Note2: Hulu and Amazon work great on every other device in my house. I wanted the Tivo to consolidate devices/remotes to make things simple. Tivo failed.
What worked: 
  • I could eventually record OTA HD shows
  • ... that's it, really. 
All these headaches with broken and poorly functioning features for $400? No, thanks.

It's for these reasons that we had to chop you.
(Last Login: Mar 24, 2017 at 6:43:15 PM) tivosupport_flora
tivosupport_flora
0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 7:34:02 PM  |  #14

Hey shuste73, thank you for your post. Again, we do want to apologize for our delay in response. It is never our intention to make any of our customers, or potential customers, feel ignored and underappreciated. We appreciate your feedback about your experience with our product, and we’ll make sure to get it into the right hands, so that we may improve in the future. Overall, we do deeply apologize for all the inconvenience that this has caused for you.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 43
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this