TiVo Help forums

First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) lanthom
0 followers
One TiVo box can't see the other.
Sep 1, 2012 at 10:55:48 AM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I recently added a second TiVo to my account.  The TiVo that is setup in my "Bedroom" is the box we had on the account previously and is working just fine and is connected with a TiVo Wireless N Adapter.  It can see and stream from the "Living Room" box just fine.

The problem is with the "Living Room" box.  Immediately after rebooting the box I can see the "Bedroom" box and can stream a show.  As soon as that show is over I can't play another show and the other box has disappeared from the My Shows list again.  The only way to get it back is to reboot the box and then the same thing happens again, I can watch one show through MRS and then no more.  Everything is setup correctly and I installed the box back on Wed so it's had time to settle.  Anyone have any thoughts?

(Last Login: Jun 14, 2014 at 12:36:01 PM) tivosupport_taylor
tivosupport_taylor
0 followers
Sep 1, 2012 at 12:33:34 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

lanthom,

Can you give some more details about your network.  How are the TiVos obtaining IP addresses?  How is the newer TiVo connecting to the network?  Is there additional networking (hubs, switches, adapters etc.)?  Additionally, if you provide me with the TiVo service number (TSN) I can see if there are any account settings that may be causing this behavior.  The TSN can be located from the TiVo menus (TiVo Central > Messages and Settings > Account and System Information > System Information > TiVo Service Number), on the unit itself above the AC/IN connection, or on your TiVo.com "My account" page under "Active DVRs."

Thanks,

Taylor 

0 followers
Sep 1, 2012 at 4:44:30 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Taylor,

I think you may of hit the nail on the head.  The Living Room box is hard wired to a switch which is hard wired to my router that the Bedroom box is connected to wireless.  I moved the Living Room box over to my main router and it instantly popped back up.

I switched it back to the switch and was able to watch one show before it disappeared. I moved it back to the main router and it showed back up again.  I'll have to start digging for a way to fix.

0 followers
Sep 2, 2012 at 10:40:29 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Ok, I took the switch out of the loop and it's doing the same thing.  Tonight I watched one 30 min show through MRS and then when I went to play another one the TiVo was missing again. 

The TiVo in the Living Room that I'm watching from is hardwired directly into the router and the router I'm trying to connect to is connected via a TiVo Wireless N Adapter.  The bedroom box can connect and stream just fine.

One thing that I do find interesting is I can unplug the TiVo from the router and then plug it back in and it finds it again.  Not sure why that fixes it but it does but I don't want to keep having to unplug the ethernet and plug it back in to get it to work each time.

(Last Login: Mar 25, 2017 at 8:18:20 AM) ggieseke
ggieseke
Sep 3, 2012 at 8:15:24 AM  |  #5
[Archived]  

It sounds like your router is dropping some of the "discovery" broadcast packets that your TiVos use to find each other.  When either one reboots they send out a flurry of packets, but then settle down to just a single packet every few minutes.  I have seen a few posts suggesting that just going into the network settings screen without actually changing anything is enough to restart the process without going through a reboot, but I haven't tried it myself.

Giving both TiVos a fixed IP address may help.  Make sure they are outside of the DHCP range on the router to avoid conflicts.  Once they are both on static addresses you can also manually add the other one to the list of servers.  I'm not sure about the Premiere, but on the older SD menus that option is at the very bottom of the Music, Photos & Showcases screen.

0 followers
Sep 3, 2012 at 8:18:27 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

That was my thought as well and even after completing the above steps it still drops.

Going to the Network Settings does not fix the problem but if I simply unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the router for the TiVo and then plug it back in is enough to re-establish the connect and I can stream again.  I'm running out of ideas on my own. Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

(Last Login: Jun 1, 2016 at 7:26:43 PM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Sep 4, 2012 at 2:11:51 AM  |  #7
[Archived]  

if disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet connection helps, then perhaps it is a problem with DHCP.  You can try switching your DVR over to using a fixed IP address and eliminate the need for DHCP IP lease renewals.  To do that check your router to see what the range of IP addreses are in the DHCP pool.  For example it might be 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.199.  You then pick an address outside that range, for my example range above you could pick 192.168.1.200 and set that as the TiVo IP address from the network settings screen.  Another thing you can do while on the router setting screens is to check the lease time.  Unless you have new computers attaching and leaving your network all the time, you should set it to a fairly long period such as a week.

0 followers
Sep 4, 2012 at 12:48:51 PM  |  #8
[Archived]  

Curious,

I had already setup Static IPs and couldn't get it to work. On a last ditch effort I decided to restore and reset up the network n adapter thinking that maybe it was having issues getting the broadcast through. That seems to have fixed the problem.The box has been stable for the last severalodious without any problems. Normally it wouldtoast about 5 - 10 min. We'll see though. Thayup you everyone for your help.

0 followers
Sep 7, 2012 at 10:11:02 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  

Ok, I just thought this was fixed.  It started disappearing again tonight and the exact same thing fixes it..  Since I've not heard back from TiVo as of yet I'm going to post back here again that I'm having issues again.

tivosupport_taylor
0 followers
Sep 8, 2012 at 12:17:07 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

lanthom,

When the TiVo becomes "undiscoverable" from the other TiVo are you able to ping its IP from a computer on the same network and subnet?

Thanks,

Taylor 

0 followers
Sep 8, 2012 at 1:31:38 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  

I can ping both boxes and can remote control both boxes from my iPad w/o any problems after it goes un-discoverable.  Also, I can watch Netflix and Hulu Plus from both boxes as well.

tivosupport_taylor
0 followers
Sep 8, 2012 at 2:03:28 PM  |  #12
[Archived]  

lanthom,

I was focusing on the unit in your living room but after further inspection the bedroom Premiere appears to be getting relatively poor signal strength.  This is most likely the issue..

Thanks,

Taylor 

0 followers
Sep 8, 2012 at 5:36:32 PM  |  #13
[Archived]  

I'm not sure what you consider low signal strength but the device is showing 2/3 bars lit. 

tivosupport_taylor
0 followers
Sep 8, 2012 at 6:21:54 PM  |  #14
[Archived]  

lanthom,

Your signal strength is too low to use MRV consistently.  We do not support streaming through wireless.  I understand that this is more a network discovery problem, but until the signal strength improves neither of these features will work at all anyway.

Thanks,

Taylor 

0 followers
Sep 8, 2012 at 7:57:45 PM  |  #15
[Archived]  

Won't work at all?  That's funny, I'm using MRV right now watching something from the other box. The only problem is once this show ends I won't be able to see the box, I'll unplug it from the router and plug it back and and I'll watch another show perfectly so don't  tell me that it won't work at all. It truly is a discovery problem but I don't feel the wireless is the cause here as the signal strength hasn't changed from when it was working just fine earlier this week.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 700
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this