TiVo Help forums

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: February 16, 2018 8:07 AM) jimemacmillan
0 followers
How To Prevent TiVo Remote From Turning Off Vizio Sound Bar
Feb 9, 2018 at 10:58:18 AM  |  #1

I just replaced my TV with a LG model and updated the code on the remote. Now however when I turn off the TV with the TiVo remote it's also turning off the Vizio speaker bar which I don't want it to do. This all started with a change over to a new TV so I don't know how the two are connected.

(Last Login: Feb 15, 2018 at 9:17:01 AM) tivosupport_shawlly
tivosupport_shawlly
0 followers
Feb 9, 2018 at 12:18:01 PM  |  #2

Hello jimemacmillan! What kind of remote do you have right there? Is it the normal peanut remote or the TiVo VOX remote? TiVo remotes doesn't have the capabilities to turn on and off A/V receiver. 

0 followers
Feb 9, 2018 at 1:53:49 PM  |  #3

Peanut Remote!

0 followers
Feb 9, 2018 at 2:12:37 PM  |  #4

I'm not sure I'd call it a A/V receiver. It' simply a Vizio speaker bar (see attached). The TiVo remote is most definitely turning it on and off.

Attachments Attachments:
(Last Login: Feb 15, 2018 at 9:17:01 AM) tivosupport_shawlly
tivosupport_shawlly
0 followers
Feb 10, 2018 at 11:53:13 AM  |  #5

TiVo Remote only can control volume for sound bars and receivers. If the Vizio speaker bar would turn off whenever you turn off the TV, you might wanna try to check the settings of your Vizio speaker or your new TV instead. 

0 followers
Feb 10, 2018 at 1:59:22 PM  |  #6

Okay I just took the Vizio Speaker into the kitchen and it's not connected to anything except the power cord. I aimed the TiVo (Peanut Remote) at it and pressed the green power button and the speaker bar turned on. Pressed it again and the speaker bar turns off. This is truly strange because this never happened before.

What makes it so frustrating is the fact that the infrared receiver in the speaker bar seems to have a narrow window. Sometimes I can get both the TV & Speaker bar to come on at the same time and other times I'm not so lucky. When they're not in sync I have to cover the infrared receiver on the TV while aiming the TiVo Remote at the speaker bar to turn it on so that the TV doesn't shut off.

0 followers
Feb 13, 2018 at 3:13:05 PM  |  #7

Okay I have another update. Just programmed the remote so that it controls the TV's volume. I aimed it at the the speaker bar and pressed the power button to see if maybe LG's power code was the same as Vizio's. It did not turn the speaker bar off or on. I went ahead and added the Vizio speaker bar code back in and now the remotes turns off both the TV and speaker bar again. This is so frustrating.

0 followers
Feb 15, 2018 at 9:02:12 PM (Updated: February 16, 2018 8:08 AM)  |  #8

I FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM!!!!Smile

Is anyone here aware that the programmable buttons on the TiVo Peanut remote can be reset? I didn't until accidentally discovering it today in a related Google search. After resetting/erasing all the buttons I entered the codes for the TV and the Speaker Bar as I've done so many times before. Unlike all those previous sessions the speaker bar is finally staying on when I turn off the TV with the TiVo Remote.

Would have been nice if a TiVo tech suggested doing that. Nonetheless here's how to reset it if you ever have strange behavior...

To reset all programmable buttons:

1. Press and hold the TV PWR and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the activity light on the remote turns on and remains lit when you release the buttons.
  2. Press THUMBS DOWN three times, then press ENTER.

Best Of Luck

Jim

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 17
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this