TiVo Help forums

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Jan 9, 2018 at 3:09:28 PM) tivodontlisten
0 followers
Streaming and cutting the cord - Tivo isn't listening
Jan 4, 2018 at 10:27:24 AM  |  #1

So here I am, about to dump cable, shut down my soon to be useless Bolt and go to Roku. 

Got to wonder why Tivo doesn't want to embrace streaming? Especially since streaming and recording of streaming tv is a part of the future. Cable company money in there somewhere I'm guessing.

I see this conversation goes back years and I am certainly not the first to gripe. I hate that I invested my precious money in equipment from what I thought was a forward thinking tech company only to find they are little better than Spectrum, Time Warner and the rest!

Anyone want to buy a Bolt 500?

(Last Login: Jan 12, 2018 at 4:07:46 PM) lpwcomp
0 followers
Jan 8, 2018 at 3:11:36 PM  |  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivodontlisten View the original post

So here I am, about to dump cable, shut down my soon to be useless Bolt and go to Roku. 

Got to wonder why Tivo doesn't want to embrace streaming? Especially since streaming and recording of streaming tv is a part of the future. Cable company money in there somewhere I'm guessing.

I see this conversation goes back years and I am certainly not the first to gripe. I hate that I invested my precious money in equipment from what I thought was a forward thinking tech company only to find they are little better than Spectrum, Time Warner and the rest!

Anyone want to buy a Bolt 500?

Exactly which streaming service that you want is missing?  Which streaming services allow recording to a local device?

(Last Login: Jan 9, 2018 at 3:09:28 PM) tivodontlisten
0 followers
Jan 9, 2018 at 3:20:10 PM  |  #3

Several services offer live tv streaming, Hulu for instance. Most are working on cloud storage of live shows. The only local recording option for streaming I know of is software called Playon, I believe. 

It seems reasonable to think Tivo and others would want to hedge their bets and offer an option for those wishing to leave cable but still having some interest in recording "live" streaming shows such as sports. 

On a related subject...

IMO Tivo should give its users more options in streaming apps. 

(Last Login: Jan 12, 2018 at 4:07:46 PM) lpwcomp
0 followers
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:29:21 PM  |  #4

You seem to be under the impression that TiVo can just add support for a streaming service at will. It doesn't work that way.  The apps are provided by the service, not TiVo.  Why do you think each one operates differently?

Do have an example of any streaming service that allows local recording?

(Last Login: Jan 12, 2018 at 8:23:22 AM) bucket73521
0 followers
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:19:31 PM  |  #5
I feel your pain! I bought the life time back in April and still trying to get a program guide. I can only record manually.
(Last Login: Jan 11, 2018 at 1:44:24 PM) daviator00
0 followers
Jan 11, 2018 at 1:49:09 PM  |  #6

Yep, same here. The apps perform so poorly, especially compared to the Roku. Even Tivo's own recorded programs stutter when attempting to view them. And the skip "feature", what a pack of lies. Better to "skip" the entire Tivo experience.  

And now I have two boxes to get rid of. Tivo replaced my first one as it was so bad then three weeks later another one arrive. No one at Tivo can explain why. 

Finally, their "Customer Relations" team is a joke. I been calling them multiple times a day for four days on an open BBB case and they NEVER answer their phone or return phone calls. 

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 69
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this