TiVo Help forums

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Dec 11, 2017 at 6:49:21 PM) badcommand
0 followers
If You Need to Rollback Hydra on Roamio and/or Mini's v1
Nov 2, 2017 at 8:44:44 PM  |  #1

So after spending an excruciating 3 days with the Hydra UI on my Roamio and 6 Mini's (and with nasty family feedback), I posted the request to rollback on the Tivo forum site. I was sent a message to contact Tivo support directly to find out how. Tivo support was very helpful and gave me the following instructions which they OK'd for forum posting. KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING!!!

For the Roamio:
1.) Go into Menu- Help- Reset to Defaults- Repeat Guided Setup- Select
2.) Press Thumbs Down 2 times (NOT 3!), now press Rewind 2 times, Now press Select (not Enter)
3.) Roamio will immediately go to that right arrow screen, then screen blank, then you'll get a message letting you know that the rollback process has begun

All in all, the rollback didn't take more than 10-15 minutes HOWEVER once complete and finished Guided Setup on the Roamio, if you have a MOCA Mini network, you'll want to go straight into the Roamio and enable the MOCA Bridge option right away before the Roamio dials back in a 2nd time as that process tied up the Change Network Settings option for a couple hours in my case (YMMV)!

For the Mini's v1 (but I'd guess v2 is the same). Also note, I waited til the Roamio had completely rolled back and I completed Guided Setup before starting this process:
1.a.) Go to Menu- Help- Repeat Guided Setup- press Thumbs Down 3 times and press Enter. OR
1.b.) You'll already see the "downgrade" screen and it will prompt you from there.
2.) You'll now see the "old" Guided Setup. Go thru that so the Mini can phone home.
3.) The Mini will phone home and prompt you once again to go thru Guided Setup.
4.) After the 2nd Guided Setup completion, you should be back in business
5.) Congrats- You've just wasted a better part of a day!
Note: Each time I went thru Guided Setup, my Mini would fail to connect and I would get the Network Connection Error screen (N07). Simply waiting a second or two for the Mini (or Roamio) to gather itself and retrying solved the problem 100% of the time.

Overall, the reason the Hydra UI was such a non-starter for me is that the UI was just too sluggish on my entire system. I feel the code is just too heavy on the Roamio processor and I would guess it would be better on the Bolt. I found the lagginess caused me, and I'm being literal here, a bit of almost anxiousness and stress- it was just that poor performing. With that said, someone else did report they were happy with it on the OTA Roamio- I would guess that's due to the processor workload compared to my cablecard version.

Also- and this was just as important- for whatever the Replay button no longer functions as a alternative Back button. This was posted BEFORE I "upgraded" and I honestly wasn't sure just how critical that darn button was- it is VERY important- especially in the My Shows or anywhere the Tivo button is used. So, as currently laid out a new remote with Back is pretty much mandatory and at $45/each for 7 units- a purchase that I'm just not willing to invest in for something (a.) I felt could be easily overcome by leaving the back function intact, or allowing thru Setup, the remapping of a much less used button. And (b.) if I were going to go that route I would prefer to just apply the funds to purchase of units that were strong enough to carry the Hydra interface.

In summary- returning to the Good "Old" Interface has never felt like a better upgrade!

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

(Last Login: Nov 2, 2017 at 8:21:20 PM) dougp
0 followers
Nov 2, 2017 at 8:54:30 PM  |  #2

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you!

You may have saved my marriage.

(Last Login: December 14, 2017 1:33 PM) ohalfie
0 followers
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:22:45 AM  |  #3

Sticking with Hydra, works well for us.

(Last Login: Nov 3, 2017 at 1:25:25 PM) jeffwa
0 followers
Nov 3, 2017 at 1:31:02 PM  |  #4

Thanks Bad Command.

Will roll back this weekend, soon as we can jot down the recording we will need to re-setup.

Hydra=a many-headed "serpent" in Greek mythology

Serpent=a biblical name for Satan

Just sayin....

(Last Login: Dec 11, 2017 at 3:28:11 PM) rayr3004
0 followers
Dec 6, 2017 at 8:39:15 AM  |  #5

The rollback sequence did not work for me. I spoke with a Tivo representative and she gave me the instructions to press thumbs down 3 times and rewind 3 times then select. That did not work. Then after putting me on hold told me that the engineers know there's a problem with the rollback sequence and they are working on it. I logged on this site and was excited to see the 2 thumbs down and 2 rewinds. When I tried it I received the Tivo error sound. The drum. My main issue with Hydra is that it took away the ability to play ALL the shows consecutively that are in a group. I liked putting the group of shows on and having it go from one episode to another. I couldn't believe they took it away. Why would they improve on a program by removing functions? Take what you have already and improve on it. Don't take away! Please HELP!  Any other suggestions. I have a Roamio and a Mini I need to downgrade back to the original software.

Tags Tags: Hydra Downgrade Failed on Roamio
(Last Login: December 14, 2017 1:33 PM) ohalfie
0 followers
Dec 6, 2017 at 8:43:52 AM  |  #6

We're liking Hydra the more we use it. No way I'd go back to older software.

(Last Login: Dec 11, 2017 at 3:28:11 PM) rayr3004
0 followers
Dec 7, 2017 at 10:28:00 AM  |  #7

I tried it again last night and this time it worked. I was told Tivo would send me a message when they fixed the problem, but I did not receive any notification. I tried it by luck last night and it worked. I have the features back that I missed and the machine responds well again. No lag. The menu is great. Love the side by side so I can see what is on now and then scan the right side and see what's on later. It's a great Tivo creation. I would not have changed it to be like the cable providers have. Now if they would just give me back my 3D color Tivo guy all would be perfect. Another Tivo only item they decided to change and make like everyone else. ??? I understand Tivo was purchased by a new company and they probably wanted to make their mark on the product, but they should do more research before making changes and find out what makes Tivo special. Very happy again. 

(Last Login: Dec 11, 2017 at 1:44:04 PM) shinsen24
0 followers
Dec 11, 2017 at 1:51:04 PM  |  #8

Thanks for the info, badcommand.  I, too, have issues with the new UI, butI have only used the old system thru a cable provider. If I rollback and don't like it, can I get back to Hydra? 

(Last Login: Dec 11, 2017 at 5:18:26 PM) sirenesbeautyplace
0 followers
Dec 11, 2017 at 5:25:56 PM  |  #9

Hi Check Out Eyelash Extensions Program 

Tags Tags: Eyelash Extensions utah
(Last Login: Dec 11, 2017 at 6:49:21 PM) badcommand
0 followers
Dec 11, 2017 at 6:59:27 PM  |  #10
I think you would just need to add your equipment back into the TiVo upgrade list. Ironically (timing wise) I believe I found a bug to the rollback if any TiVo folks are reading. That is I have 6 gen 1 minis on MOCA and they all stopped communicating this weekend with my roamio- all at the same time. I ended spending the day performing a factory reset on all devices and the moca net now functions fine. The only oddity was about half half the minis required a 2nd update.
(Last Login: December 13, 2017 11:18 AM) tivosupport_ivory
tivosupport_ivory
0 followers
Dec 11, 2017 at 7:06:32 PM (Updated: Dec 11, 2017 at 7:11:12 PM)  |  #11

shinsen24,

Good thing to know though that you upgraded to the new user interface. However we apologize for any inconveniences it has caused you. 

Yes, you can get back to the New TiVo Experience (Hydra). This link provides instructions on how to upgrade: https://support.tivo.com/SupportPortalArticleViewPage?artURL=%2Farticles%2FFeatu

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 105
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this