TiVo Help forums

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Nov 17, 2017 at 4:17:55 PM) kthaxton
0 followers
OTA signals and MoCa, not on the same cables?
Nov 13, 2017 at 5:44:23 PM  |  #1

Hi, I intend on adding a Mini to another TV in the future (currently have Roamio OTA) and am currently planning how to setup a moca network in my house.

Specifically, I want to verify if my understanding of some previous posts is correct......i.e. OTA signals cannot be on the same coax as moca, is this correct?

So currently, I have my attic antenna going to an amp/splitter that goes to various different rooms in the house. If I want to create a moca network, I will have to isolate the antenna coax from the rest coax that I intend to have moca signals on and have it go to the Roamio only, correct?

(Last Login: November 19, 2017 4:02 PM) oldddawg
0 followers
Nov 13, 2017 at 6:08:33 PM  |  #2

You might want ask on the Tivo Community Forum under Roamio OTA forum. They seem to respond quickly and a lot of information.  From what I am seeing you can run both on the MOCA.   https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?forums/tivo-roamio-dvrs.74/

0 followers
Nov 13, 2017 at 8:06:24 PM  |  #3

From what I am reading you can use OTA Antenna and MOCA on same coax.  You can't use DECA.  This is what I got from Tivo Community

OTA: 40-806 MHz
cable (TV/Internet): 5-1002 MHz
MoCA (E band, for DirecTV DECA): 475-625 MHz
MoCA (D band, for OTA/CATV): 1125-1675 MHz​

(Last Login: Nov 14, 2017 at 7:48:17 AM) jcthorne
0 followers
Nov 14, 2017 at 7:53:30 AM  |  #4

Yes, OTA and MOCA work fine on the same coax network.  That is how my Tiov's are connected.  One Bolt, One Roamio and one each old and new minis.  Only the bolt is on ethernet the others all share the moca network and OTA antenna.

0 followers
Nov 14, 2017 at 10:29:29 AM  |  #5

Thanks for the info guys.....for some reason I didn't realize there was a specific Roamio OTA board.

After re-reading the post that made me think this, I can now see that I mis-interpreted the post. It was the first sentence here:

https://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=11308804#e11308804

This certainly makes matters easier!

0 followers
Nov 14, 2017 at 10:58:18 AM  |  #6

The Tivo Community Forum is a completely different forum.  In my short experience, there is more activity and answers on that forum.  From what I am reading you can have OTA and MOCA on same coax, but you can't have OTA and Cable on the same coax.  Good luck.  I am getting ready to install MOCA on existing coax that was originally Dish for Tivo Mini in another room.  You will also need the Tivo MOCA Bridge for the Router.  If your Tivo Roamio OTA is not connected to the router with Ethernet, you will also have to get a Tivo MOCA Bridge for the Tivo Roamio OTA.  Here is my layout, based on input from the Tivo Community Forum.  Right now Indoor Antenna with future Outdoor Antenna.Tivo Connections.jpg Right now I use indoor Antenna, but may put an outdoor antenna in the future.  MOCA will let me do that.

0 followers
Nov 14, 2017 at 3:31:57 PM  |  #7

Thanks....I'm actually doing something quite similar, except I have an attic antenna that is connected to my original Dish coax, then it is distributed to the various rooms of the house after a splitter/amplifier.  

I do have one question though on your diagram....

...but first understand that I am just learning this stuff and could be way off, but, do you really need two MoCa adapters in the same room? Is there a reason you can't just hook your Roamio Ethernet directly to your router (or a network switch if you only have one port on the router) and eliminate that MoCa adapter?

Won't the Ethernet and MoCa signals act as one (talk to each other so to speak) carrying the same signal via the other MoCa adapter thus eliminating the need for the second MoCa adapter? 

0 followers
Nov 14, 2017 at 4:21:12 PM  |  #8

You are exactly correct.  If you can connect the TiVo Roamio directly to the Router with Ethernet cable (not WiFi) then you do not need the MOCA adapter for the Roamio OTA.  Unfortunately my Router is on the opposite side of the room of my TV and I have no clean way to get the cable over there.  The MOCA adapters are $47 on Amazon right now.   The Roamio OTA just dropped in price today to $332.49 on Amazon so I am doing a price protection on my Discover card to get a little money back.  I bought the Mini direct from Tivo last night for $147.   Good luck on your similar project.

0 followers
Nov 14, 2017 at 4:26:25 PM  |  #9

Awww, I see. Makes sense now.

Fortunately, I too just ordered the Tivo bridge for $47. I should have bought a second one because eventually I want a wired internet connection at one of my TV's that only has coax to it....baby steps.  

0 followers
Nov 14, 2017 at 7:53:51 PM  |  #10

I didn't draw in a POE Filter at the future External Antenna, but I believe you will need one there.  Also I have purchased a 3 way splitter that works with MOCA.  Wasn't sure if the one I have will.

0 followers
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:48:28 AM (Updated: Nov 15, 2017 at 11:13:03 AM)  |  #11

Yep, intend to get a POE filter.

My one unknown is whether Channel Master Splitter/amp is compatible. https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-Distribution-Amplifier-Antenna/dp/B001PI09SE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510760835&sr=8-1&keywords=channel+master+amplifier&dpID=514NN0uBHnL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have an email in to them asking if it is.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 10
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this