TiVo Help forums

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Jul 16, 2017 at 5:50:15 PM) jml74
0 followers
tivo mini or ota roamio?
Jun 18, 2017 at 10:42:48 AM  |  #1

I'm looking to add a TV to my garage.  I see that I can get a Mini for $150, or a refurbed OTA Roamio w/ service for $200.  Would the extra $50 for the Roamio get me any extra capabilities?  I have two CableCard Roamios in the house already; I've never used a Mini, but it sounds like it would basically tap into one of those, right?  Can I do things like Netflix over the Mini?

(Last Login: Jun 21, 2017 at 12:14:44 PM) tivosupport_rochel
tivosupport_rochel
Jun 18, 2017 at 12:48:46 PM  |  #2

Hello jml74! Yes, you can get extra capabilities on the TiVo Roamio OTA because you will have more tuners which will allow you to record 4 shows at the same time, unlike the TiVo Mini who just borrow tuners from its main DVR. But TiVo Roamio OTA cannot access the cable channels you have on your old TiVos unlike on the TiVo Mini. The TiVo Mini acts as a mirror of its main DVR, it can access channels and recordings. And yes, you can access TiVo Apps like Netflix over the TiVo MIni. For more information about these devices, you can refer to www.tivo.com.

(Last Login: Sep 13, 2017 at 9:53:40 PM) krkaufman
krkaufman
0 followers
Jun 18, 2017 at 10:32:35 PM  |  #3

I'd recommend the Mini, given you already have 2 Roamio DVRs -- so long as you can supply the Mini with a solid network connection, ideally wired via Ethernet or MoCA (coax). I expect you already have enough tuners, and you should factor the cost of an additional CableCARD into your cost comparison.

(Last Login: Jul 16, 2017 at 5:50:15 PM) jml74
0 followers
Jun 19, 2017 at 10:38:53 AM  |  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View the original post

I'd recommend the Mini, given you already have 2 Roamio DVRs -- so long as you can supply the Mini with a solid network connection, ideally wired via Ethernet or MoCA (coax). I expect you already have enough tuners, and you should factor the cost of an additional CableCARD into your cost comparison.

That's what I was thinking, but I haven't actually seen or used a Mini, so I wanted to get some more insight (and you're absolutely right about the cost of the CableCard--Comcast used to give a good deal on CCs for TiVO, but those days are long gone).  Thanks!

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 50
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this