TiVo Help forums

First   |  Previous     Page 2 of 3     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Jun 19, 2017 at 5:21:13 PM) lpwcomp
0 followers
Re:Tivo minis won't connect to Roamio OTA
Apr 20, 2017 at 6:32:53 PM  |  #16

Is "Video sharing" enabled on the Roamio?

(Last Login: June 26, 2017 10:05 AM) krkaufman
krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 9:10:36 PM  |  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View the original post

Is "Video sharing" enabled on the Roamio?

As configured via the "Device preferences" page within the TiVo.com "My Account" site, right?

See: https://www.tivo.com/tivo-mma/dvrpref.do

(Last Login: May 11, 2017 at 8:30:33 AM) mystic
0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:20:16 PM  |  #18

Yes, for the Tivo Roamio OTA video sharing is check marked, but the Tivo minis are not because they never completed the set up protocol, so they both have NA for where the check marks would go.

I think I'm onto where my problem lies and it with my router or some of its settings. Krkaufman had me check a setting, which was configured correctly when I checked it, but while looking for the setting I discovered something I didn't know about the Frontier Netgear 7550 router. It has four ethernet ports, which I thought were all the same. However, I managed to download a Technician's installation manual for the router and while reading it I found a section on the ethernet ports that indicates that two of the ports are for a private LAN and the other two are for a private LAN. I had assumed all four ports could communicate with each other, but it appears that the two sets of ports can't communicate with each other.  I am now in the process of perusing archived

posts on the Netgear forum to see if I can find information on how I can hook up all three tivo units in a way that they will be able to communicate. I am new to routers, so I don't understand much about them at this point. Up until now I've only used one to hook my pc up to the Internet. If anyone knows if the Frontier Netgear 7550 router can be configured to do this I'd me much appreciative to be steered toward instructions to so. 

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:24:34 PM  |  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View the original post

Yes, for the Tivo Roamio OTA video sharing is check marked, but the Tivo minis are not because they never completed the set up protocol, so they both have NA for where the check marks would go.

It's a DVR-only setting, so you'll only see the checkboxes (either checked or empty) for the DVRs listed in your account. All your Minis will display "N/A" for each column ("Video sharing" and "Enable video downloads").

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:32:32 PM (Updated: Apr 20, 2017 at 10:34:55 PM)  |  #20
Quote:

I am now in the process of perusing archived posts on the Netgear forum to see if I can find information on how I can hook up all three tivo units in a way that they will be able to communicate.

As a workaround, you could try connecting all your TiVo devices to a separate standalone network switch, which would be connected via a single Cat5/6 cable to a LAN port on your router. (A side benefit of this setup is that the TiVo devices would continue communicating with each other even through a router reboot, which I've found handy at times. Any Internet streaming apps would be disrupted by a router reboot, of course, but any live or recorded program viewing on a Mini would continue, uninterrupted.)

0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:48:33 PM  |  #21

As I've mentioned, I'm not familiar with routers beyond the most basic setup instructions. I've never had any experience with switches. Are they similar to a splitter for TV coax cables in that you plug it into an ethernet port and then you can plug multiple ethernet cables in so more than one device can access the single LAN port on the router?  If so, can you suggest one that would work for hooking up the three Tivo units?

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:58:55 PM  |  #22
Quote:

Krkaufman had me check a setting, which was configured correctly when I checked it,

If you found an IGMP Proxy or IGMP Snooping setting, how was it set?  And did you try toggling it (ON to OFF, or OFF to ON) and then testing whether the change produced any better results? 

NOTE that you'd need to power-down your router and TiVo devices after making the change, in order to fullly reset the network.

Related TCF threads...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/mini-losing-connection-

http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/strange-tivo-mini-roami

http://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/problems-with-tivo-mini

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 11:10:43 PM  |  #23
Quote:

As I've mentioned, I'm not familiar with routers beyond the most basic setup instructions. I've never had any experience with switches. Are they similar to a splitter for TV coax cables in that you plug it into an ethernet port and then you can plug multiple ethernet cables in so more than one device can access the single LAN port on the router?  If so, can you suggest one that would work for hooking up the three Tivo units?

Yes, similar concept. If you have a router, you already have a network switch; it's just built-in within your router. (The LAN ports on your router are effectively an Ethernet switch. All you're looking for is a standalone switch, such as...

Fast Ethernet

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFD0SNG/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FNFSPY/

Gigabit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFD0SMC/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFD0SEA/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N99BBC/

Gigabit is preferable, if budget allows.

0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 11:20:21 PM  |  #24

I found the IGMP proxy setting and the enable box was not checked, so I left it alone. Since I sent back my two minis (Tivo claimed they were defective and said to send them back and order two new ones) and the replacements won't arrive until next Tuesday, so I can't test any changes on the router settings until they arrive.  I'm trying to research network switches. Here is a link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-5-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY/

Is this the type of switch you are talking about? I would just plug it into one of my ethernet ports and then plug the three tivo ethenet cables in the other ports?

0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 11:27:06 PM  |  #25

We posted on top of each other!  This sounds great if that is all it will take to get the new minis up and running when they arrive. I really appreciate your help. I'm going to read a bit more about switches and then order one of the gigabit switches you steered me towards. Thanks a lot,

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 11:33:22 PM  |  #26
Quote:

Is this the type of switch you are talking about? I would just plug it into one of my ethernet ports and then plug the three tivo ethenet cables in the other ports?

Yes, correct.

And OOF!, I'd totally forgotten the bit about the Minis having been returned and so no testing being possible. Well, we'll see. Maybe don't make ANY changes for now, until the new Minis arrive and you can see if they work or not, with the same configuration in place that proved insurmountable for the previous "bad" Minis.

0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 11:45:05 PM  |  #27

I won't change any settings on the router for now, but I will purchase one of the switches you recommended because it sounds like the switch is the answer to my problem. As I said earlier, in the technician's manual for the 7550 it was clear that two of the ethernet ports are configured for a private LAN and the other two are configured for a public LAN and that the two networks can not communicate with each other. So, there is no way to hook all three tivo units up with only two ports that can talk to each other. It sounds like I can just plug the switch into one port and then plug the three cables into the switch and I should be good to go?

0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 11:48:39 PM  |  #28

Okay, I'm off to bed. You've been more help in this short time that we've been communicating than the half dozen tech people at tivo and frontier that I've wasted hours talking to. If this solves my problem I will be very happy, but also angry that I wasted so much time with the tech people who must have very limited knowledge if they couldn't suggest something this simple and inexpensive.  Thanks again.

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 21, 2017 at 1:02:58 AM  |  #29
Quote:

As I said earlier, in the technician's manual for the 7550 it was clear that two of the ethernet ports are configured for a private LAN and the other two are configured for a public LAN and that the two networks can not communicate with each other.

Can you post a link to that reference manual, if/when you have a chance? (please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View the original post

It sounds like I can just plug the switch into one port and then plug the three cables into the switch and I should be good to go?

Yes, correct. Theoretically.

0 followers
Apr 21, 2017 at 8:35:27 AM  |  #30

Here is the link for the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/855339/Netgear-7550.html?page=19

Here is how to get the manual to download: click on the link above and then at the top left corner of the page click "download" and the entire manual will download as a pdf file. Or, you can also read the manual by clicking on the page numbers on the bottom of the page for the link I included.  This router is one that Frontier has commercially made by Netgear and you can't buy it on the open market, except used on sites like Amazon. The manual appears to be for technicians who are setting the router up out in the field. There is a link in the  manual for residential users, but it didn't work when I tried it. This manual appears to be for setting the router up in a business setting. I think that is why the router is configured with two LAN (one private and one public). As near as I can tell the idea is the business would use the private LAN for their business uses and then have the public LAN available for customers to use, however, it doesn't make sense that customers would have ethernet cables and laptops with them to access it, so i could be wrong.  

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 45
First   |  Previous     Page 2 of 3     Next   |  Last
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this