TiVo Help forums

First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 3     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: May 11, 2017 at 8:30:33 AM) mystic
0 followers
Tivo minis won't connect to Roamio OTA
Apr 14, 2017 at 8:43:56 AM  |  #1

I recently purchased a Tivo Roamio and hooked it up with an ethernet cable to my Netgear wireless router. The unit works fine. Then I purchased two Tivo minis for other rooms in our home.  These were also hardwired with ethernet cables to the router. I checked all the cables to make sure they were working by connecting a laptop to them. Also, when I did the minis installations the units performed updates and registered the names I gave them to my account.  At the end of both setups I get the message saying they can't connect to my host DVR unit.

I called Tivo support and waited an hour and twenty minutes for a representative who was very courteous when I finally got through, but wasn't able to  help fix the problem. She basically just had me repeat all the steps of the setup, which I had already done several times on my own to no avail. Here is what I've tried so far:

1) reset my router

2)forced my Roamio to "connect to service now"  through the Network tab (multiple times)

3)forced the minis to reset by unplugging them and redoing the setup process (multiple times)

4)I renamed my Roamio unit last night (from a suggestion on the forum)

I've continued resetting my Roamio and unplugging the minis to restart them and redo the set up process, but keep getting the same final result of a message saying they can't find the host DVR.

The Tivo representative on the phone told me that I should send both minis back to Amazon where I bought them and order two new ones since my units must be defective. She said I should have bought from Tivo directly because Amazon doesn't store their units correctly and can damage them. I don't believe her since the odds of two brand new units having the same defect are remote.

From reading posts here at the forum the only thing I know to try is to continue doing what I've been doing and wait to see if the Tivo server will eventually get everything registered to my account up on their server. I'v also written to Tivo, but haven't yet heard back from them.

I set up the Roamio several days ago and the two minis were set up two days ago. Any additional suggestions will be much appreciated.

(Last Login: Sep 13, 2017 at 9:53:40 PM) krkaufman
krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 14, 2017 at 4:27:07 PM  |  #2

First thing to check is your online TiVo account, to verify that all 3 devices are registered with your TiVo account and are listed as active.

See: "My Account" on TiVo.com 

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 14, 2017 at 4:33:33 PM (Updated: Apr 14, 2017 at 4:47:52 PM)  |  #3

See this TCF post for the recommended Mini activation procedure. The typical problem/delay is customers (and TiVo Support) not realizing that the activation process can be greatly expedited by forcing the intended host DVR to make repeated connections to the mothership until the DVR is made aware of the new units (Minis!) on the account. However, you've been making those DVR service connections, so I'm left to wonder if the Minis were properly registered to your TiVo account. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View the original post

From reading posts here at the forum the only thing I know to try is to continue doing what I've been doing and wait to see if the Tivo server will eventually get everything registered to my account up on their server.

Registering the Mini must come first (see the link)...!!   (And that the Minis were registered and active within your account should have been the first thing checked by TiVo Support.)  You can continue connecting to the TiVo service from all your devices, and subsequently power-cycling them, but it will be pointless if you don't see all the devices listed within your TiVo account when you log in.

0 followers
Apr 15, 2017 at 3:20:28 PM  |  #4

All three tivo devices are showing that they have been activated in my account. The Roamio was activated on 4/8/17 and the two minis on 4/12/17. I also checked my router information online and it shows all three units connected by wired ethernet, so I know my ethernet cables are functioning correctly to and from my router.. I continue to force the Roamio to set a connection with Tivo several times a day and the same with the minis. On the minis I've been unplugging he power cord and then reattaching it so that I have to run through the entire set up process. Each time they progress all the way to the end where I get the message that they couldn't find the host DVR unit and to "try again later". 

Tivo never answered my initial email detailing my problem, so after three days I wrote a second letter last night, with still no response, except the robo letter back saying they received my email and someone would contact me within 24 hours. I'm starting to see that Tivo must have really lousy tech support. Any additional suggestions beyond just waiting it out to see if Tivo ever gets my units up and running on their server will be appreciated.

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 15, 2017 at 3:31:33 PM  |  #5

Short of calling TiVo Support to escalate the issue, I'm not sure. And I'd think someone from TiVo Support would be chiming-in here to help, as well.

(Last Login: Apr 19, 2017 at 3:48:53 PM) tivosupport_brandi
tivosupport_brandi
0 followers
Apr 15, 2017 at 4:12:04 PM  |  #6

Hey mystic, sorry to hear that you are having issues getting your Mini's setup and working properly. I would like to look into this further for you, can you please private message me the phone number and email address on your account.

Thanks in advance. 

0 followers
Apr 15, 2017 at 8:47:05 PM  |  #7

I'm new to the forum and don't yet know how to send a pm. When I did a search for how to do it I came across several Tivo support pages specifically saying you should never pm personal information such as phone numbers or email addresses, so I'm not sure how to respond to your request. I certainly want all the help I can get resolving my problem, but I don't want to break the forum rules, either. Since I don't know how to pm someone through the forum I can't respond at any rate. 

0 followers
Apr 15, 2017 at 8:59:08 PM  |  #8

As for calling  tivo support to escalate the issue I don't have the patience to try another phone call to them. On my last call I had to wait an hour and twenty minutes on the phone before I got a representative. When I did get to speak to someone all they had me do is repeat everything I had already done, and told them I had done, with no success. After wasting another half hour repeating all the same steps I met with the same end result: Unable to connect to host DVR. Try again.

The representative said that I probably had two defective units and should send them back and buy two new units. She implied that I should have bought them directly through Tivo, rather than Amazon. She said that Amazon doesn't store their units properly in their warehouse and they can be damaged, as mine apparently were. I did not believe her since both units went through the entire set up and activation process and then both had the same result of not being able to connect to my host DVR. After reading many pages of posts here at the forum and seeing how common my problem is apparently I feel confident my units aren't defective.

I have written two emails to Tivo support, so I'm hoping to get some response that way. I included my open case number.

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 16, 2017 at 12:56:07 AM  |  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View the original post

Since I don't know how to pm someone through the forum I can't respond at any rate. 

First, you'll want to make sure your current browser session is logged-in to the TiVo forums. (The "keep me logged in" selection box on the login panel doesn't seem to do much good; sessions time-out pretty quickly.)

Then, just click on the name of a user you wish to PM and look for the "Send Private Message" link within their profile page.

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 16, 2017 at 12:58:13 AM  |  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic View the original post

After reading many pages of posts here at the forum and seeing how common my problem is apparently I feel confident my units aren't defective. 

Yeah, kinda tough to rationalize your units being defective given they seem to be networking just fine. It sounds like some sort of central database/account issue.  Good luck.

0 followers
Apr 16, 2017 at 4:34:20 PM  |  #11

I just spent 90 minutes on the tivo chat support with one of their people. All they had me do was all the same things I had done more than a dozen times already without success. Forcing a tivo service connection, resetting my router, unplugging and going through the setup process on both minis, etc. I did get them to check my software versions, and was told all three units are running on the same version. In the end they said they couldn't suggest anything else and to call technical support, which I already did last Wednesday and they just had me do these same things. I asked if she could escalate my problem up the chain of command, but she said she couldn't - that I had to call technical support to do that. Do you think another call will accomplish an escalation? I'm going to send a copy of my chat transcript to the technical support email address to see if that accomplishes anything. I'v already sent three messages since last Wednesday and haven't yet received a reply to any of them. In the end, she said my units must be defective and I should return them and order two new units, which I am reluctant to do.

(Last Login: Apr 24, 2017 at 5:20:41 PM) tivosupport_zeki
tivosupport_zeki
0 followers
Apr 16, 2017 at 5:48:06 PM  |  #12

Hi mystic,

We're sorry to hear you're having trouble getting your Mini's to find the host TiVo. How are you Mini's connected to your network? Does the ethernet cable go directly to the router or are there any switches or hubs in between? How is your Roamio OTA connected to your router as well? Direct or through any switches or hubs?

Thanks

0 followers
Apr 16, 2017 at 8:44:38 PM  |  #13

All three tivos (Roamio and both minis) are connected by ethernet cables to my Netgear wireless router. I checked all the cables by connecting a laptop to them and all are working. I also went online to view my router connections and it showed all three devices listed as connected and working by ethernet cable. All are wired directly without switches or hubs.  All three cables plugged directly into the router.

0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:57:16 AM  |  #14

After spending another few  hours with the Tivo support people on the phone I finally through in the towel and returned both minis to Amazon and ordered two new units from Tivo directly. The technicians were convinced both my brand new minis were defective. I still have trouble believing this since new electronics these days seem to be fairly reliable and to have two identical units both be defective seems like a very low probability even. I hope I am proven wrong and that the new minis hook right up and work when the arrive next week. I'll keep everyone posted.

Related to this problem I have a question for the forum. I am using a Netgear 7550 wireless router supplied by Frontier Communications. Has any one had success in using this router to connect their minis to their host DVR unit? In the end, the Tivo tech people thought the router was not opening all the ports to allow the three Tivo units to communicate with each other. However, after talking with the Frontier tech people they assured me that with my firewall set to "none" that all the ports were open. It the next set of minis have the same connection problem it seems like the router would be the place to concentrate my efforts at troubleshooting. However, the router seems to work fine, so I don't want to spend a lot of money replacing it until I'm sure that is he problem.

krkaufman
0 followers
Apr 20, 2017 at 2:47:13 PM  |  #15

You might look into is whether the router has an IGMP Snooping or IGMP Proxy setting. This sometimes causes issues with TiVo communications. 

See this related Netgear KB article: https://kb.netgear.com/31257/Default-IGMP-settings-may-affect-multicast-streams-

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 51
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 3     Next   |  Last
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this