TiVo Help forums

First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 26, 2017 at 3:39:42 PM) nathanielppaschall
0 followers
Moca network and bolt+ and 3 mini's
Feb 14, 2017 at 8:22:01 AM  |  #1

I am looking for confirmation of what I understand is needed to set this up

the cable comes into the basement and it would seem I need a splinter to direct one to router and one line toward Bolt+.....

The line that goes to the Bolt needs a MoCa adapter.

with the wire leaving the MoCa adapter it goes to a splitter?

from the splitter it goes to the Bolt and the 3 minis?

for some reason I think I am missing something

I will be getting my service from Optimum Cablevision

thanks

(Last Login: Apr 19, 2017 at 3:48:53 PM) tivosupport_brandi
tivosupport_brandi
0 followers
Feb 15, 2017 at 4:24:10 PM  |  #2

Hey nathanielppaschall

As far as setting MoCA up in your house there are a few things to consider. The TiVo BOLT does not need a MoCA adapter as it has that equipment built into it. 

More diagrams and information regarding MoCA can be found here. Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

(Last Login: June 26, 2017 10:05 AM) krkaufman
krkaufman
0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 2:30:06 PM (Updated: Feb 16, 2017 at 2:34:04 PM)  |  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanielppaschall View the original post  

the cable comes into the basement and it would seem I need a splinter to direct one to router and one line toward Bolt+....  (yes)

The line that goes to the Bolt needs a MoCa adapter. (NO, install MoCA adapter at router)

with the wire leaving the MoCa adapter it goes to a splitter?  (connectivity depends on MoCA adapter)

from the splitter it goes to the Bolt and the 3 minis?  (might want to cascade a 2-way & 3-way)

Close. Couple quick thoughts...

1. "PoE" MoCA filter :: You need a "PoE" MoCA filter (e.g.) installed on the input to that first splitter encountered by the incoming cable provider signal (i.e. on the input to the 2-way splitter feeding the cable router and TV side). The "PoE" MoCA filter both secures and strengthens your MoCA signals.  More on "PoE" MoCA filters here.
  2. Creating the MoCA network :: The TiVo BOLT is capable of creating a MoCA network, provided the necessary coax and Ethernet connections; however, it sounds like your BOLT location won't have Ethernet access, so you'd need to install a MoCA adapter at your cable router location in order to create the MoCA network to which your MoCA-capable BOLT and Minis could connect. The MoCA adapter would need to connect to the common coax lines and via Ethernet to a LAN port on your router, either directly or via a network switch.

Additional thoughts...

• You might benefit by using a 2nd 2-way splitter to split the coax signal between the BOLT and the 3 Minis, feeding the BOLT directly from the 2-way and connecting the Minis to a 3-way splitter hung off this 2nd 2-way.
  • How the MoCA adapter would be connected to the coax lines depends on the model MoCA adapter purchased. If the MoCA adapter has a second "RF/TV Out" coax port, this port can be used to feed the cable modem/router.  Alternatively, some prefer always splitting the cable and feeding the MoCA adapter and cable modem/router separately; in such a case, an unused "RF/TV Out" port on the MoCA adapter would need to be capped with a 75-ohm terminator (e.g.).
  • MoCA-compatible splitters are recommended (e.g.)
  • See this TCF post for more info on MoCA & network specs, plus links to available MoCA adapters & other components

Tags Tags: MOCA
krkaufman
0 followers
Feb 16, 2017 at 5:49:54 PM  |  #4

p.s. See also: TiVo's "Connect your TiVo box to your home network" how-to article ... noting that the BOLT series UI menu options have changed since the creation of this page. (Rather than configuring the BOLT+ with the "Connect using MoCA" option, you'd configure the BOLT+ as a "MoCA client.")

0 followers
Feb 17, 2017 at 9:09:08 PM  |  #5

thank you

do you recommend moca adapters.....or splitters?

ALL Tv locations will get ethernet and coax 

so I am still working on backs so forgive me

cable in goes to a splitter one to bolt+, one to router

coax goes direct from splitter to Bolt+

Other Coax goes to MOCA adapter

From Moca adapter ethernet goes to Bolt+????

From Moca adapter COAX goes to router??

Router feeds the three mini"s with COAX???

krkaufman
0 followers
Feb 17, 2017 at 9:35:11 PM  |  #6
Quote:

ALL Tv locations will get ethernet and coax 

If you'll have Ethernet everywhere, you could just do an all Ethernet setup, right?

If you still want to setup MoCA, let me/us know.

krkaufman
0 followers
Feb 17, 2017 at 9:53:04 PM (Updated: Feb 17, 2017 at 9:56:16 PM)  |  #7
Quote:

do you recommend moca adapters.....or splitters?

Both!  ... since they're completely different components. Splitters obviously just split a coax cable into however many outputs (though you'd want MoCA-compatible splitters), while a MoCA adapter is used for bridging between a MoCA network on your coax lines and Ethernet.

For example:

krkaufman
0 followers
Feb 17, 2017 at 11:48:53 PM (Updated: Feb 18, 2017 at 12:01:38 AM)  |  #8

Ok, so I wrote up a reply detailing how to tweak your coax connections to support a MoCA network, but the forum software snuffed my reply, owing to a faulty login timeout. MOST exceeeeeedingly annoying.

So I'm gonna hold off trying to compose that post again, since there's a good chance you won't be going the MoCA route... what with the ability to go all Ethernet.

p.s. Oh, one simple note... the Minis only need to be connected to Ethernet *or* coax, depending on whether they'll be configured for an Ethernet or MoCA network connection.

0 followers
Feb 18, 2017 at 8:20:29 AM  |  #9

Thanks for all your efforts!!!

I had thought MoCA because I thought it worked better than ethernet. HOWEVER I am running both! The walls are down and I can do it easily

with that said I struggle On MoCa what do I do after the MoCa adapter with a Coax that does not go to the Bolt+ understanding that a ethernet cable goes from the adapter to the Bolt+. I will be attaching 3 mini's

I have followed your links to splitters etc..thank you for the recommendation...want to get the latest version and highest speed

krkaufman
0 followers
Feb 18, 2017 at 11:55:46 AM  |  #10

Quick take: see the MoCA section of TiVo's "Connect your TiVo box to your home network" how-to article, including the linked diagrams.

krkaufman
0 followers
Feb 18, 2017 at 12:13:59 PM (Updated: Feb 18, 2017 at 12:46:31 PM)  |  #11
Quote:

with that said I struggle On MoCa what do I do after the MoCa adapter with a Coax that does not go to the Bolt+ understanding that a ethernet cable goes from the adapter to the Bolt+. I will be attaching 3 mini's

As I'm composing a reply I'm finding that I'm repeating what I'd already posted above, in post #3.  I'm unclear on what more I could say, or how to phrase any of that information differently. 

As the above post details, the MoCA adapter needs to be installed at the cable router location, not at the BOLT, per the connections described above, with the MoCA adapter connecting to the coax lines and to a LAN port on the router -- creating the bridge ... and the MoCA network to which MoCA clients could then connect.

Any "MoCA Minis" would be connected elsewhere off your coax tree, possibly as suggested in post #3, above, and would be configured to "Connect using MoCA"  in the 'Change Network Settings' dialog.

(Last Login: Apr 24, 2017 at 5:20:41 PM) tivosupport_zeki
tivosupport_zeki
0 followers
Feb 18, 2017 at 12:22:25 PM  |  #12

Hi nathanielppaschall, 

Can you please let us know which MoCA adapter you are using? If your Bolt+ has a direct ethernet connection to the router it can create the MoCA network for you. If you are using the MoCA adapter to create the network, it would need to be connected at the router and then you would just need a coax from the wall to the Bolt+ and Minis and choose to have them connect via MoCA in the network setup.

Let me know if this didn't answer your question.

0 followers
Feb 18, 2017 at 12:41:50 PM  |  #13

thank you I almost get it ......will keep rereading

krkaufman
0 followers
Feb 18, 2017 at 12:45:07 PM (Updated: Feb 18, 2017 at 7:53:17 PM)  |  #14

Perhaps an example MoCA setup diagram will help fill-in the gaps left by the above text...

MoCA - simple cable setup - basic.png

(... basically just diagramming the main recommendations from post #3, above)

Tags Tags: diagram, MOCA
0 followers
Feb 18, 2017 at 12:56:33 PM  |  #15

Oh Gosh you are brilliant!!!

the fog is lifting and I will study

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 45
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS