TiVo Help forums

At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) boney22
0 followers
"Failed While Negotiating" n17
Oct 21, 2007 at 11:15:26 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  
I continue to get an n17 error on my Humax series 2 despite the fact that it's connected wirelessly to my home network. The guide information just won't download, everything else networked seems to work. I'm connected to an Airport Base station. I am also connected to a school network... which I realize could be the problem... but does anyone have any other ideas about a work around? I have the TIVO using the DHCP to get an IP address... I've tried assigning it one, that doesn't seem to work either...

Any ideas would be helpful!
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Jun 1, 2016 at 7:26:43 PM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Oct 22, 2007 at 2:41:30 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  
Failed while negotiating can be caused by several things.

One possibility is the existence of a proxy server or parental controls device between the TiVo and the TiVo Service. This could be in your router, the broadband modem, or your ISP's infrastructure. The fix is to add exceptions to the proxy server or parental controls to make sure it does not block or cache any transactions with the TiVo Service. For your router, you will have to do this yourself. For your modem or ISP, a call to your ISP is in order to see if they have such equipment or capabilities and to see if it is properly configure to not interfere with your TiVo.

Another possibility is packet fragmentation problems between your TiVo and the TiVo service. This can be caused by mis-configured our malfunctioning hardware in the data path. Again, it could be in your wireless router, the modem or your ISP's equipment. One thing you can try for this is to set a lower value for MTU setting in your router, if it has one.

Finally, it could be a firewall in that same path, with all the same actors. If there is a firewall that blocks outbound ports, then it must be configured to not do that, or to except your TiVos, or your entire home network. Again, if it is your router, you will need to do it, otherwise you will need to contact your ISP.

Good luck,

CuriousMark
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0  
Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 844
Options
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS
:
Members who like this