At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: May 30, 2013 at 6:49:54 PM) jcanyon
0 followers
Pixelation problems solved - Time Warner Cable - San Diego
May 30, 2013 at 7:24:08 PM  |  #1

I wanted to share a year of frustration I have had with Time Warner Cable in San Diego along with the solution I found.

My setup:  Tivo Series 4 connected to a TWC tuning adapter.  I have two Tivo series 4 boxes and a cable modem in my home.

Problem:

My TVs started pixellating, not all the time, but in the afternoon on shows I recorded.. the shows became unwatchable!  Of course I called my TWC repairman and he came bye, multiple times, to no avail!  I called the TiVo technician and had him talk with the TWC technician when he was at my home and the TWC technician did not fix the problem.   

Solution:

I learned to go to Settings and messages, then select Account & System information, select tuning adapter, then select DVR Diagnosis.  On this screen TWC set the SNR to be 36 dB.  As it turns out, this signal is too high for the Tivo to decode.  When I talked with the TWC technician, he told me that his boss said to set it between 35 and 36dB  when the Tivo Technician told him to set it below 35dB he would not.

The simple solution is to go to amazon and purchase two 6dB attenuators for each tivo box you have and place them in-between the tuning adapter and the settop box.  First put one attenuator in then look at the SNR.  If it is still too high add the second attenuator.

Once I did this, the SNR varied between 34 and 35dB and the (RS uncorrected and RS corrected were 0 and 0 (note you have to change the channel prior to looking at RS corrected and uncorrected each time you change the attenuator as it starts the counting from the time you first change to the channel).

I have been watching TV for a month now, no pixellation issues at all!

Best of luck with your setup.  And... if you live in San Diego and have issues, feel free to contact me at james.canyon@gmail.com

5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
(Last Login: May 30, 2013 at 6:49:54 PM) jcanyon
0 followers
May 30, 2013 at 7:27:07 PM  |  #2

To find an attenuator on amazon, search for "In-Line Coax Cable TV Signal Attenuator 6 dB"  the cost should be around $1.00

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-In-Line-Signal-Attenuator/dp/B0002ZPIT6/ref=

(Last Login: Sep 29, 2014 at 8:07:38 AM) comprev
comprev
0 followers
Jun 1, 2013 at 3:40:06 PM  |  #3

Nice job. Thanks for the post.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 2473
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS