At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Dec 8, 2010 at 1:02:14 AM) dakothan
0 followers
New TIVO N adapter won't work
Dec 8, 2010 at 1:13:28 AM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I have a Belkin Wireless Router.  Have been using G USB adapter.  I can't get the new one to even see the network. I have set it up just about every way possible.  I can hook the G adapter back up and it sees the network and sets back up... no problem.  Any ideas?  It is a Series 2 TIVO.

(Last Login: Jul 22, 2014 at 2:14:13 PM) rsnaider
rsnaider
Dec 8, 2010 at 10:02:37 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

TiVo only works with a very select number of after market adapters so check to see if the one you are using is listed here;

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405

(Last Login: Dec 10, 2010 at 6:07:16 PM) vjnair22
0 followers
Dec 8, 2010 at 10:32:21 AM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I have the same problem. I have Belkin Wireless 3800 HGV-8 Router. I just purchased a TiVo Wireless N Network Adapter. I tried setting up through my computer by disconnecting my computer's wireless connection, going to my browser (Chrome) and 192.168.10.1. I keep getting the message "Connection Failed". Checked SSID. Checked Password. Checked that the Router is up and running. These are the three things Tivo web site asks you to check. Did all this several times. Still the same "Connection Failed" message. Tried Re-setting through the small hole. Still the same problem. Tried Firmware updating. The message said "This will take 2 minutes". More than two hours later it was still running. The Adapter seems unwilling to be updated. Other than returning the Adapter to Tivo, is there anything left for me to try?

(Last Login: September 29, 2014 7:06 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Dec 8, 2010 at 12:13:27 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

What IP address did you set your computer to before attempting to connect to the adapter?  was it in the 192.168.10.xxx range?  Did you use a patch or crossover cable between the computer's Ethernet port and the adapter's Ethernet port?

0 followers
Dec 8, 2010 at 12:56:51 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

The IP is 192.168.1.73. Should I change the third set from 1 to 10?

Connection between Adapter and computer: The connection to the Ethernet port in the computer was made from the Adapter, using the Ethernet cable that came with the Tivo Wireless N Adapter.

While connecting, the green light on Tivo adapter was flashing (as it should) but at the end of the progress bar of the connection, when I was supposed to see the flashing green become a steady green as per the Instructions, the monitor would say "Connection Failed".  

curiousmark
Dec 8, 2010 at 1:11:24 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

If your browser cannot access the adapter's setup web pages then changing the 1 to 10 may help.  Once you can get into the adapter settings web pages you should be able to start setting it up to work with your wireless network.

0 followers
Dec 8, 2010 at 4:10:25 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

Yes my browser can access the adapter's IP address. So perhaps there's no need to change from 1 to 10. I had no problem in using the browser (used Chrome) to get to 192.168.10.1 which was where I was supposed to go and try setting up through my computer. But I keep getting the message "Connection Failed". 

curiousmark
Dec 8, 2010 at 5:20:19 PM (Updated: Dec 8, 2010 at 5:23:09 PM)  |  #8
[Archived]  

ok, it was not clear you were even gettting that far.  Please describe what settings you made and what responses you saw while doing the configuration on those pages.  Don't assume that your readers have ever seen those pages themselves, for example I have not, I have a G network at my house.

So telling me connection failed just means that of all the steps you did, one of them didn't work, but without any clue as to which.

Since this device is a wireless bridge at heart, I would expect you to choose the SSID of your home wireless N network from a list of detected SSIDs.  Then I would expect it to detect the security settings and ask you for the correct kind of wireless password in order to join that network.  After that, there might be other steps, but you will have to tell me if that is so.

You may also want to access the setings of your wireless router and see if it has or uses something called a MAC address filter.  If it does (this is on the router) make sure to enter the MAC Address of the adapter, computer Ethernet interface, and TiVo DVR Ethernet interface into the filter's "Allow" list.  If the MAC Address filter is OFF, then this won't be necessary.

Back on the adapter, please make sure when entering or selecting the SSID (wireless network name) that you realize it is case sensitive.  So an SSID of "MyHouse" is completely different than "myhouse".  It is critical that it match the SSID set on your router exactly.  The same is true of the security pass phrase.  "My Pass Phrase" is not the same as "my pass phrase".  So make sure the pass phrase you enter EXACTLY matches what you entered on the router settings pages.  Also be careful to do all entries by hand and not use copy and paste.  It is possible to paste non-printing characters that won't show, but will make the SSID or pass phrase not match.

Good luck.

0 followers
Dec 9, 2010 at 6:17:54 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  
Dear curiousmark:Thank you for the reply. I realize that I need to give a better set of info.1. Connected the new Tivo Wireless N Network Adapter to power supply and to the Ethernet port of computer. Green power light of the Adapter comes ON. 2. Depressed the Reset button for 2 secs. The power light turns to Amber and turns to Green after about a minute.3. On computer I used a browser (Chrome) and typed 192.168.10.1 (per Tivo instructions) and got yo Tivo Network Adapter Setup Wizard. Clicked on Begin Setup. (It is a WPS - Wifi protected Setup).4. Screen said "Searching for Network" and came up with several networks, including mine. Against my network name it says Security WPA. WPS capable network. Clicked on mine. 5. The setup wizard asked for case sensitive "Passphrase". I have AT&T UVerse. They have two sets of numbers. Both are ten digits. The first one is called "System Password". The second one is called "Wireless Network Key". I had used this "Key" in the past to connect to Ipad, Iphone and laptop. So I used the "Wireless Network key" here also as my "Passphrase" for Tivo setup wizard. (I had also tried using the System Password but attempt had that failed too). Clicked Continue.6. The progress bar said "Connecting" and starts to move slowly to the right. The green signal light on the adapter starts to flash green. As the progress bar reaches it end, the flashing green is supposed to change to a steady green as per Tivo's instructions. What happened was this: As the bar reached its end, the flashing green on the adapter turned off and there was this on the monitor "Connection failed. Please make sure all the settings above are correct. Try again". I tried this more than six times so far and still failed. I do not see any mistake on my part so far. That is why it is so frustrating. I may return this adapter but that's admitting failure!Now, you asked about MAC filtering. It is not Enabled. I do not know the MAC address of the Tivo Wireless Adapter, even if I have to enter it. How do I find that? The Tivo instructions booklet that came with the Adapter said nothing about MAC or changing any setting other than their simple instructions, which as you can see from above, I have followed correctly. Any suggestions, anyone, before I give up on wireless connectivity to my Tivo?

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 17:25:14 -0500
curiousmark
Dec 9, 2010 at 6:26:22 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

Try doing all the steps, but don't start by pressing the WPS button.  Alternatively, don't use the computer at all and press the WPS buttons on both the router and adapter.  Since when it found your network, it said it was WPS enabled, your router must have the button too.  If your router doesn't, then you may have picked a neighbor's network with the same name as yours.  (yes it happens, why I have no clue).

0 followers
Dec 10, 2010 at 5:32:30 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  

Dear curiousmark:

Thank you for setting my thinking towards WPS button. Your mail lead me to going to my Utility Closet and looking at the Router. It is a Belkin 3800 HGV installed by At&T. Found the button. Pressed the button and found out that it doesn't work. Later found out from AT&T Tech support person that they knew that it didn't work!  He accessed my Router, "disabled" something "that wasn't doing anything anyway" and took care of the WPS issue. Then, in under a minute, it was bliss, the Network Adapter had connected and the message said Congratulations, finally. I am almost age 70. I learnt that I needed to learn just a few more things!

Thank you for the long series of mail and your patience and support.

vjnair2

(Last Login: Dec 25, 2011 at 10:27:18 AM) dsironi
0 followers
Dec 25, 2011 at 10:34:21 AM  |  #12
[Archived]  

I have a Netgear WPN824 without a WPS button. I have had the same experience mentioned above. What I want to add is that I have been filtering wireless by MAC id as we'll as WEP encryption. The N wireless adaptor cannot join a network that filters by MAC id. Even though there is one printed on the bottom of the adaptor, I could successfully join my network. When I disabled filtering by MAC id, it joined successfully. 

curiousmark
Dec 27, 2011 at 12:35:37 PM  |  #13
[Archived]  

Make sure you include th MAC id of the TiVo DVR in the allow list, since that is the device actually trying to join the network via the adapter.

(Last Login: Jan 9, 2012 at 9:48:16 AM) jay540
0 followers
Jan 9, 2012 at 9:55:30 AM  |  #14
[Archived]  

N wireless adapter does join a network that filters by MAC id. Problem is that the adapter's MAC id is NOT the same as the id that is printed on the back of the N wireless adapter.

What you can do is first disable the filter by mac id functionality. Have your n adapter show up and connect to your network. Once connected, check the listing of all connected wireless clients. You will see one new connection (this is your n adapter), note down the mac id, and ad this to your "Access/Filter by Mac ID listing." You may turn on this functionality now.

Caveat to the above. For some strange reason, the MAC id of my n adapter keeps changing. It is the third time in the last 8 months that I had to follow the above steps and add the adapter, each time with a new mac id. I don't know enough how/why this happens. I was always under the impression that mac id's never change as they are hardware based, and this is true for all the other wireless clients that are connected to my network for over 3 years now. Oh Well.

Hope this helps.

Jay

5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 1   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1554
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS