First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 5     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Oct 3, 2009 at 1:57:15 PM) deebel
0 followers
Tivo HD seems to freeze and not respond to remote for periods of time
Aug 16, 2009 at 9:32:39 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

Sometimes my TivoHD won't respond to the remote for periods of time up to several minutes. The front panel indicates that no remote button has been received. The Remote's LED lights indicating that it is sending. I can walk right up to the Tivo and it won't respond at any distance. I've put new batteries in the remote. I've tried a 2nd remote. It seeems to happen more often when I start using it, but it also can happen right after a successful button press.I have a comcast dual cable card and a wired internet connection.

My sense is that the OS is maxed out from some process, or several processes. I've seen it happen when two shows are being recorded, but then it's happened when none are recording.

I'd appreciate any insight into this. Thanks in advance!!

(Last Login: Sep 14, 2009 at 7:57:59 PM) htsurg
0 followers
Aug 16, 2009 at 10:05:30 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

Same problem began about 10 days ago on my Series 3, ethernet and Charter dual cablecards.  My front panel always indicates reception of the remote's signal.  Changing channels can take 10 seconds and internet related activities, eg, Tivo Search, can take 5 minutes to initiate.  It does feel like the OS is too busy to handle the commands.

Have tried restarting, clearing thumbs ratings and discontinuing Tivo Suggestions, all to no avail.

Thanks for any insights.

0 followers
Aug 16, 2009 at 10:32:30 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Your problem sounds similar, except for the LED reception. I do note that when it starts receiving again from the remote, it will start showing the front panel LED again, but still be unresponsive for a few more seconds. I got this Tivo in January, so I assume it's still warrantied. But I'm wondering if it's a feature, or a problem.

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:59:39 AM  |  #4
[Archived]  

The most common source of non-functioning remote problems (other than weak batteries) is local IR interference.  The most common sources are:

1. Another remote sitting in the room with a button depressed on it.  It can be in a seat cushion on the couch.  It can be sitting on a stand with a book on top of it.  It can be crammed into a remote caddy.  Check all other remotes out.

2. CFL lighting has been known to cause problems.

3.  Newer LCD TVs have some features that cause interference such as Power-saver mode (turn it off), backlighting adjustments (turn it higher to eliminate interference) and ambient light sensors (turn it off).

Also, you should reboot the TiVo (pull the power plug, wait 20 seconds and pug back in).

0 followers
Aug 17, 2009 at 12:17:45 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

All remotes are accounted for. This has happend 20-25 times over the course of the last month. We have no CFL lighting. The TV is the same one we have been using for 1-1/2 years with Tivos. I happened to have turned the TV off whle testing the remote, and the Tivo fornt panel continues to not show any reception. The Tivo has been power cycled several times over this period.

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Aug 17, 2009 at 5:45:26 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

The next thing to try is to determine if the remote is actually sending a signal.  You can use a digital camera to do this.

Point the remote at the front of the camera and look in the camera viewfinder while you press the buttons on the remote.  You should see a flashing light in the camera picture from the IR signal being sent.  If you don't see it, the remote may be malfunctioning.  You can also look around the room thru the viewfinder to see if there are any flashes of light.

0 followers
Aug 17, 2009 at 6:05:11 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

I have two remotes. They both behave the same way, so I can't see it having anything to do with the actual remote. Also, the remote still works with the TV when the Tivo is non-responsive. All the evidence leads to the Tivo not processing the received IR transmission.

99% of the time the remote and the system behave normally. It's obvious to me that the Tivo somehow is stalled during these occasional episodes and can't service the IR port.

(Last Login: Oct 1, 2014 at 8:03:14 AM) khearn8
0 followers
Aug 18, 2009 at 10:39:45 PM  |  #8
[Archived]  

This isn't a issue with the remotes it's an issue with the software.  I have the same problem.

0 followers
Aug 18, 2009 at 10:58:01 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  

Thank you very much for your posting. While I cannot prove it, it's the only logical assumption that I can make.

(Last Login: Aug 23, 2009 at 5:37:03 AM) mb2foru
0 followers
Aug 20, 2009 at 11:38:09 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

I have the exact same problem, the red is on 3 diff remotes and none makes the yellow led flash except every now and then, very rarely. I have taken all other remotes except 1 out of room, I have shut down everything except the Tivo icluding all other lights and appliances. This HD is not usuable like this period. The remotes work the other 2 Tivos no problem. Brand new batteries mpre than once just to rule out the rare low new ones. Now what??

0 followers
Aug 21, 2009 at 12:44:35 AM  |  #11
[Archived]  

Thank you for providing some more feedback that might indicate that there is a real issue here. I suppose I should look at doing a hack to access a back-door linux shell and try to sniff out a memory leak. But I have a life, and don't really want to spend time analyzing this. It would be nice if there was a way to find out if there is a known issue here with the current Tivo software (firmware) release.

(Last Login: Oct 4, 2009 at 10:08:14 AM) sar3
0 followers
Aug 21, 2009 at 11:40:26 PM  |  #12
[Archived]  

Same problem here on one of my units.

0 followers
Aug 22, 2009 at 12:13:51 AM  |  #13
[Archived]  

Thanks very much for your feedback. I"m hoping that this forum is monitored, and with more feedback maybe there will be a response.

(Last Login: Aug 22, 2009 at 1:07:20 PM) jaimecafe
0 followers
Aug 22, 2009 at 1:14:31 PM  |  #14
[Archived]  

I too have this issue only with my series 3 and only with tivo search and video on demand > browsing web videos.  When browsing web videos, navigation is only slow until the graphic is downloaded.  Once I have painfully navigated through a page, I can scroll quickly through that same page.  My series 2 dt does not have this issue.  This is not a remote issue, reboot does not help, and the tivo search issue appears to be the same issue with waiting for the ad graphics to load at teh top of the page.  painful.

(Last Login: Aug 23, 2009 at 5:37:03 AM) mb2foru
0 followers
Aug 23, 2009 at 4:38:38 AM  |  #15
[Archived]  

The remote does not respond almost all the time when cable cards are in and loaded. No cards loaded and you can use the remote endlessly but once the data is loaded in the cards the remote is then dead. It is definatley overloaded OS or hardware issue. I am an telecomunications engineer for 25 years and have worked on ATM, fiber and all kinds of data delivery systems and software. While the other issues you mentioned can and do happen this issue is definatley a problem with Tivo as it is occurring in huge numbers of the HD boxes. Tivo needs to respond to this issue now.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 2   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 4703
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 5     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS