At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 24, 2010 at 5:36:56 PM) tkelly_az
0 followers
Copy Protection
Feb 1, 2010 at 6:39:51 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

Hi,

I just added a new Tivo HD. I have been a Tivo user for nearly 10 years. Tivo to go downloads all my videos on my Series 2 no problem. Now on my new HD Tivo I am getting copy protection notices on the same shows I used to be able to transfer on my Series 2. Is this cause it's digital vs analog?

(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Feb 1, 2010 at 7:37:32 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

Tivo honors the copy protection flag set by the broadcaster. Yes, it is more prevelant on digital recordings. Assuming you are seeing things copy protected on most shows, you might want to complain to the cable company. Some set the copy protect flag much more than others. The local over the air stations content should not be copy protected. If they are copy protecting the OTA equivelent channels, you may have to fight up the line, but that is not permitted by the FCC, as I understand it.

(Last Login: Jul 14, 2012 at 11:46:21 AM) jtakach98
0 followers
Mar 14, 2010 at 1:03:12 AM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I recently posted about a similar issue - copyright protection on TiVo HD box - but my provider is in the process of 'upgrading' their lineup. As of 3/8, they advertised that the HD channels would be moving to the 1000 and up channel set ("add a one for HD"), but this changed from a blanket "it's happening on March 8th" - which I informed TiVo of a while back, and they took care of with no problem - to "it's being phased out over the month of March," which means that none of my recordings are currently working for the HD channels. However, that's not the main problem.

As of the 8th, EVERYTHING that I record - including shows that previously were not copy-protected - is coming up with the protection: local channels, low-tier cable channels (Nick, Disney, etc), AND the HD channels (which I understand, and it makes sense). Now, the local channels were always copyright-free, so I could transfer those, no matter how I recorded them. Since this 'major lineup change' took effect, though, everything is coming up protected. Is it something in the settings between the Tuning Adapter and the CableCARD, or is it internal to the TiVo box settings? I did just reboot the box, so we'll see what happens going forward.

pdonoghu
Mar 14, 2010 at 8:45:49 AM  |  #4
[Archived]  

The copy protect flag is set by the cable provider when they transmit the program. Many cable companies, get lazy, and copy protect everything. They are not supposed to copy protect re-transmission of the local over the air channels. You will need to contact your cable company and complain. It may take some persistence to find someone who understands what you are talking about. If they will not remove the copy protection from the local channels, you can take it up with your local cable franchise authority, and the FCC.

There is nothing you can do on your end, as the Tivo box is required to honor the copy flag set by the cable company as per Tivo's agreement to get certification to use cable cards from Cable Labs.

(Last Login: Mar 21, 2010 at 12:35:06 PM) sears2505
0 followers
Mar 16, 2010 at 6:03:29 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

I have a Tivo HD, but don't have an HD TV yet.  So, I record the non-HD channels.  I record exactly the same stations on my Tivo HD and my Tivo Series 2.  The Series 2 recordings are not copy protected.  The Tivo HD recordings are.  It doesn't make sense to say this is an issue from the cable provider.  Both Tivos are recording the exact same station from the exact same provider and handling the information differently.

pdonoghu
Mar 16, 2010 at 11:18:46 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

Your Series 2 is taking an anlog signal, and coverting it to digital to store on disk. Analog signals typically do not carry copy protection.

If your Tivo HD is recording the same analog program, there should not be a copy protect flag. Some cable companies use a technology where they send an analog signal for analog devices, but also send a digital tranmission of the same channel on a digital channel (the cable card can remap the acutal channel number to the published number). Check if you can set the recording quality on the HD. If you can, it is an analog broadcast. If you can not, it is a digital eqiuvelent of the same channel, and has the copy protect byte set. If it is a rebroadcast of a local over the air channel, the copy protect byte shold not be set.

I also suspect that to get Cable Labs certification (all devices tha that use cable cards requre certification), Tivo has to conform to a higher standard of digital rights management compliance.

(Last Login: Jul 2, 2013 at 6:20:51 PM) leeannk
0 followers
Mar 25, 2010 at 12:51:38 AM  |  #7
[Archived]  

I have a huge stack of old VHS tapes, many irreplaceable.  Tapes can break and VCRs won't be around forever so I thought I'd back up the most priceless ones.  From a labor/quality standpoint, I'd just as soon replace the commercial ones with commercial DVDs where possible, so copyright shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, with the Series 3, I connected the Tivo Ant In to the VCR Ant Out, went through guided setup for cable and antenna.  Switched the VCR to Channel 4 and set the TIvo to Channel 4 Ant.  I played the tape and hit the Tivo record and produced a fantastic copy of my first video.  I got the flag.  Is that Tivo or my ISP?  Since I've never seen the flag on any cable shows, I think it must be Tivo.

Any workaround?  Or is this a deadend for accomplishing what I want to do?

(Last Login: October 25, 2014 5:00 AM) ggieseke
ggieseke
Mar 26, 2010 at 5:55:33 AM  |  #8
[Archived]  

If they are commercial VHS tapes they probably include Macrovision copy protection.  It's different from the CCI byte that cable providers set for digital broadcasts, but TiVo still honors it.  If you recorded the tape yourself I have no idea why the TiVo would think that it's copy protected.

You can look around for a "video stabilizer" to see if that helps, but I haven't tried it.  There are also quite a few audio/video to USB adapters out there for your computer.  VHS is roughly equivalent to a 352x200 digital signal, so the cheaper converters should be fine.  A friend of mine got one for under $50 to transfer stuff from her old videocamera and it works great.

(Last Login: Jul 14, 2012 at 11:46:21 AM) jtakach98
0 followers
Mar 26, 2010 at 6:23:29 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  

It's very odd. I've tried recording things on both versions of Time Warner's offering of the Disney Channel - 64 for the old analog side, and 101 for the digital side - and both have kicked up the copy protection flag. Analog versions of my local channels are kicking up the flag, but the HD versions are not, which would be fine, if I wanted to spend 4gb of space on one half-hour recording on my PC (as opposed to the ~600mb that the analog version would use with the cable, and ~800mb that DirecTV-recorded shows would use). It has to be something internal to either the CableCARD or the tuning adapter's incoming signal.

I think that, once my contract is up with the HD TiVo, I'll look into whatever box Time-Warner is offering. The HD TiVo is pretty - and I really enjoy the guide over what Time-Warner's looks like right now - but, without the added functionality of being able to archive your recordings on your computer, it's not really worth the added expense.

(Last Login: October 24, 2014 6:51 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Mar 29, 2010 at 5:19:17 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

I suspect Time warner puts those restrictions in place, among other reasons, to bring people like you back to their own box.  They want you paying them a box rental fee if they can convince you of it.

(Last Login: Oct 11, 2010 at 1:20:10 PM) jjkj12
0 followers
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:24:41 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  

For Tivo to say contact your cable company is ridiculous, I have several Tivo's in two states with different cable providers, all my recordings are copy protected making Tivo to go & Tivo transfer useless.  Tivo should work out something like Digital Copy that is sold for DVD's or simply give it up.

(Last Login: October 24, 2014 6:51 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Oct 11, 2010 at 12:13:42 PM  |  #12
[Archived]  

TiVo has no control or say in how a cable company chooses to implement their use of the CCR byte. 

What TiVo can do is implement streaming access for MRV.  If that were done, you could MRV shows since a copy is not made.  Streaming would still not allow TiVo ToGo to work in a CCR=0X02 environment.

You could contact the FCC about this.  While what the cable company is doing is not illegal, it is anti-competitive and the FCC does care about that.

(Last Login: Oct 11, 2010 at 1:20:10 PM) jjkj12
0 followers
Oct 11, 2010 at 1:28:13 PM  |  #13
[Archived]  

Yes, streaming MRV would solve the MRV problem, as it stands I have to manually have my two tivo units always recording the same things like Season Pass which is difficult to maintain.  A way to Sync Tivo recordings would also be a work around.  In my winter home I simply have a dual HDMI setup with 100 feet of cable conecting two HD televisions, so I am always using the same Tivo in a Multi room setup, this is where a RF Tivo remote would be great, I understand the Premere unit has a network remote feature ?

I will be open minded about contacting the FCC & post any success.

Thanks

(Last Login: October 25, 2014 5:00 AM) ggieseke
ggieseke
Oct 12, 2010 at 7:03:30 AM  |  #14
[Archived]  

Check out http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=392385 for some info regarding an unsupported network remote control.  I think there's even an iPhone app.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 2300
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS