At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Mar 4, 2010 at 9:20:59 PM) gabelogan99
0 followers
I have an antenna ONLY. What TiVo model do I need?
Mar 4, 2010 at 5:31:47 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

First of all, I have purchased and set up a TiVo Series 2 DT DVR.  I also purchased the accessory that allows for Internet connection.  I bought this unit specifically for my home, where I do not have any type of paid TV service such as cable or satellite.  I have 8 channels that include ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX.  I watch many programs on these stations alone and receive great reception through an outdoor antenna which hooks into my flat screen HDTV.  I am looking for a DVR that I can use to record my programs, but it looks as if this is impossible to do with the series 2 TiVo that I have set up.  It looks like what I want to accomplish will be possible with the Series 3 TiVo and it also looks like it will work with the TiVo HD models that are available at certain locations.  This is the unit I purchased:  http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD649080-80-Hour-Digital-Recorder/dp/B000ER5G58/ref= I purchased the unit because it very clearly states that it works with an antenna under "Technical Details" but this information is clearly wrong, because there is absolutely no choice for antenna on the setup menu.  This is the unit that I am now interested in:  http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD652160-Digital-Video-Recorder/dp/B000RZDBM2/ref=sr

To sum it up:  I've bought a series 2 DT unit that I want to use with antenna to receive my OTA digital signals ONLY.  (Also of note:  I do not use a digital converter box.  My TV has a built-in converter, as it is a new TV.)  I can not use the unit that I have purchased because it does not allow for antenna signals.  If I purchase the TiVo HD unit as seen in the link, I will be able to record my OTA digital channels.

Let me know if I've got this all right now.  I have not contacted TiVo or Amazon.com on this matter as of right now.  I am trying to skip the huge headache of dealing with a telephone representative.  Any information you can give me would be very helpful.  Thank you in advance.

(Last Login: Jul 26, 2014 at 12:31:36 PM) bbasiliere
bbasiliere
Mar 4, 2010 at 6:03:57 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

You can use any HD model of TiVo (series 3, HD, HD XL, Premier or Premier XL) for recording from an OTA antenna. You can use any series 2 DVR other than the dual tuner for OTA programming but you will have to have a digital converter for a series 2.

Barry

0 followers
Mar 4, 2010 at 8:20:12 PM (Updated: Mar 4, 2010 at 8:24:29 PM)  |  #3
[Archived]  

Thank you.  Do you know of anything outside of the TiVo realm that would work for what I want to do?  Besides the old fashioned VCR, which doesn't work with new HDTVs except when used in conjunction with a converter box, I have never come across anything that would help me do what I need to do.  Perhaps something that is even free (no subscription fee) and I can program manually?  (Again, something besides a VCR.)  What about a DVD burner?

bbasiliere
Mar 4, 2010 at 8:29:59 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

I am sorry but I really don't know of any other option. You may check over in the TiVo Community Forums where there are many discussion that cover things other than TiVo. The link for that site is www.tivocommunity.com

Barry

(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Mar 4, 2010 at 8:38:50 PM (Updated: Mar 4, 2010 at 8:41:19 PM)  |  #5
[Archived]  

I took a look at your link to Amazon.com, and they defiantly provided incorrect information for the Series 2 dual tuner. I've filled out a form on their site to correct the features listing, no idea if they will or not.

Amazon is usually pretty good at taking an item back, especially since they misrepresented it.

Tivo has the correct information listed as to the capabilities of their DVRs

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/300/c/137%2C139/r_id/100041

0 followers
Mar 4, 2010 at 9:46:30 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

I was very specific in my reason for my product return.  Hopefully Amazon gets the message and changes the information.  Luckily, since it was their error, they are paying to have it shipped back to them and UPS will even pick it up.  I realize that a lot of people don't buy a TiVo just for regular OTA recordings, but it obviously would be nice to know that you can't use a product before you buy it.  It's all about language and communicating things to your customers, which Amazon usally does very well.

There's another "error" that I feel should be fixed.  It states that everything you need is in the box, but they don't include a network (Ethernet) cable with TiVos and they don't include a wireless receiever either.  They do include a regular phone cord, but some people don't have lindlines.  I think Amazon should have been more clear that a high-speed Internet connection is pretty much a requirement, as well as a WiFi enabled router and a catcher for the signal.  (I wonder if future TiVos will include an internal catcher, like you see in laptops and even iPods.)  I had no idea that I needed this extra accessory.  UPS won't pick up the USB connector, I have to mail it myself.  They will supposedly reimburse me for my losses, however.  And, I didn't pay anything to have either one of them shipped to me because I am an Amazon Prime member.

(Last Login: Feb 23, 2013 at 1:42:20 AM) chakk
0 followers
Mar 11, 2010 at 11:40:39 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

You don't need both ethernet and wi-fi to connect your Tivo to the Internet.  Either one or the other is fine. I have found with my 3 Tivos that the Ethernet connection is more reliable and slightly faster (in most circumstances) than Wi-Fi.

Having a router connected between your Tivo (and computers) and your Internet-providing device (DSL or cable modem) should be pretty much a given these days -- for both convenience and security reasons.

It's nice to know that Amazon is willing to take things back, rather than applying a simple "buyer beware" rule.

bbasiliere
Mar 12, 2010 at 1:42:25 AM  |  #8
[Archived]  

You will also be happy to hear that Amazon has updated the description and no longer includes an antenna as a programming source for the dual tuner models.

Barry

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 2461
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS