First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 3     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Oct 16, 2009 at 3:56:28 PM) cymbolkid
0 followers
Channels don't change anymore
Sep 28, 2009 at 3:24:06 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I have had a digital cable box for 3 years then last night it stopped changing the channels. I could manually change the channels on the cable box. But the tivo can't change them. I own 3 tivos. Two pioneer dvd tivos the 810h series. And a single Dual turner stand alone tivo. The two dvd units stopped working at the same time. The stand alone tivo still works..

I contacted RCN cable they said they did not update anything,or turn off the serial port.

So I tried to trouble shoot this myself.

First I tried swapping the serial cable with the tivo that still works. Still doesn't work.

I then swapped the cable box from the tivo that works, to the dvd unit. Still didn't work.

I then took the cable box that was with the dvd unit and tried it with the stand alone tivo. And the cable box then worked, with the stand alone tivo.I temp. hooked up the IR cable to the dvd tivo and it works for now. But i hate the IR cable.

So it looks like its a software problem with the dvd tivo units.

Where the dvd units software updated at all last night?????

(Last Login: Sep 29, 2009 at 11:15:08 AM) bentbriar
0 followers
Sep 29, 2009 at 11:17:55 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

Same thing happened to me.  I use a serial cable with a Motorola cable box (RCN.) Tivo was working fine and then sometime around 6PM ET channel changing just stopped working.  Tried following the on-Tivo troubleshooting steps, powercycled both boxes.  No joy.

(Last Login: Aug 9, 2014 at 1:57:37 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Sep 29, 2009 at 8:20:48 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I have a Humax DVD TiVo and I am not aware of any software changes.  One thing you could do is post the software version numbers of the three DVRs for comparison sake. 

You could try switching back to serial now that it has been on IR for a bit and see if that somehow got something unstuck.

Good luck

(Last Login: Oct 2, 2009 at 5:38:22 PM) crodney@enter.net
0 followers
Sep 29, 2009 at 9:19:50 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Having the same problem with rcn cable. Tivo will no longer change channels. Had rcn reset box still nothing. I don't have the IR cable anymore either so I got nothing. My tivo says last time updated was 9/29 @ 2:31am 

(Last Login: Oct 12, 2009 at 6:12:11 PM) ricbowen
0 followers
Sep 29, 2009 at 9:35:58 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

I'm having the same problem. I have the Pioneer DVD tivo and the serial cable has stopped working for changing the channels on my Motorola Cable Box at about the same time as the other people in have listed. So far I have been unable to get in touch with Tivo to ask them if they pushed out a new software patch. But clearly they did something in the last two days that is affecting the use of the serial cable.

(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Sep 29, 2009 at 10:23:00 PM (Updated: Oct 1, 2009 at 11:15:04 AM)  |  #6
[Archived]  

Tivo has not updated the software on the Series 2 in several months. At least 3 of the 4 posters are on RCN. What is more likely is tha RCN has updated the cable box software, and disabled the serial port. This has happend with other cable providers in the past. After a bit of an uproar, they eventually changed the cable boxes back to allow use of the serial port.

I suggest you contact RCN, don't be surprised if the customer support reps don't have any knowledge of what happend. That's what users experienced last time. If enough people call and complain, they may do something. In the meantime, use the IR cable that originally came with your Tivo. If you no longer have it, you can buy one on Tivo's web site for about $7, or may be able to get one at a large electronics retailer like Best Buy.

(Last Login: Oct 5, 2009 at 1:15:23 PM) animalcrackers13
0 followers
Sep 30, 2009 at 8:58:55 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

pdonoghu is right.  I, too, have RCN and a Motorola cable box.  At the same time as everyone else, I lost my ability to change channels.  I talked to Tivo customer support, who troubleshooted with me to no avail, and then talked to RCN at their suggestion.  The RCN rep was completely clueless and simply said that a signal is still being sent to my box.  This is really irrelevant - she didn't even comprehend the problem.  I then called Tivo support again, who told me that the customer service reps often don't know about software changes.  So, for now my only options are the IR cable, which I can't find (and I don't want to spend the $7) or changing my channels manually on the cable box.

All, complain, complain, complain to RCN!!!!!!

(Last Login: Oct 5, 2009 at 1:15:23 PM) animalcrackers13
0 followers
Oct 1, 2009 at 12:40:01 PM  |  #8
[Archived]  

Growl.  RCN claims they did not make any cable box software update.  If they are right, what is up?  It doesn't seem likely that a bunch of us would develop a hardware problem at the same time.  Could Tivo have changed something to cause this problem?  This is so frustrating because RCN points the finger at Tivo, and Tivo points it right back at RCN.  Not a good system.

I'm about to cancel my Tivo.  Love it, but not if it prevents me from changing channels!

(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Oct 1, 2009 at 1:15:30 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  

I'm pretty confident that RCN disabled the serial port. As I said in my earlier response, cable CSRs typically have no clue about these things. The fact that all of the posters in this thread are on RCN, and we are not seeing this from any other cable company points back to RCN changing something. You can use the IR blaster to change channels, as most of us have to since we don't have serial connection support on our cable boxes. You can try escalating within RCN beyond the first level CSR, ideally to engineering to try and find someone who knows what they did, and see if they will undo it. Last time this happened, the box manufacturer provided a firmware update that turned the serial port off. Since the cable companies don't typically use the serial port, most of their customers don't notice or care. It took a lot of vocal complaining by Tivo users, and an updated firmware from the cable box manufacturer to re-enable the serial port.

Good luck.

(Last Login: Oct 12, 2009 at 3:24:32 PM) bernhard beck-winchatz
0 followers
Oct 1, 2009 at 1:47:03 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

I also have the same problem with an RCN Motorola DCT2500 converter box. RCN customer support claimed that there was no firmware update. I went to a customer service center and switched the converter box, just to be sure it's not a hardware failure, but this didn't solve the problem.

This eliminates converter box hardware failure. The only other possibility (other than converter box software) seems to be TiVo hardware failure or serial-incompatible software update. I don't know how to test that because I don't know how to figure out if TiVo is sending a good signal via the serial cable.

To at least get the basic channels I tried connecting the coax cable directly to the TiVo, eliminating the converter box, but unfortunately I learned that RCN is all digital now, and my old Series 2 TiVo can't handle digital cable without the converter box.

I just ordered an IR blaster cable from Amazon (or actually from Smarthome, which sells through Amazon). It's $5.49 including shipping and gets good reviews. It's definitely not an ideal solution. I used an IR blaster before when RCN had not yet enabled the serial port, and found it to be unreliable. I wonder if RCN is trying to get people to get rid of their TiVo's and rent RCN's DVR (which is $15/month and is part of one of their converter boxes). 

(Last Login: Oct 2, 2009 at 5:38:22 PM) crodney@enter.net
0 followers
Oct 1, 2009 at 3:46:49 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  

Ok here is what I did to fix the problem. It is a RCN cable box problem. I called 3 times to get the usual run around and finally told them I was taking my box back to RCN for a replacement. Got home plugged it in and guess what, everything is working fine now again. So I suggest that everyone having problems insist on getting a new box. Now how long this will fix the problem who knows they could again send a signal to disconnect the data port in the back again. Thou next time this happens its bye bye RCN, don't need the bad customer support or there bad equipment.

(Last Login: Oct 1, 2009 at 3:56:18 PM) jimhtivo
0 followers
Oct 1, 2009 at 4:11:22 PM  |  #12
[Archived]  

Unfortunately, I don't believe that RCN is properly disclosing the fact that firmware updates were applied to the cable boxes. 

I too am having the same problems as everyone else.  I've given up the fight and have decided to use the IR blaster to change the channels.  Albeit the IR blasters are slower and not always as reliable as a serial connection.  We are at the mercy of RCN which outsourced much of it's customer service to some location in South America.  The reps are clueless about anything unless it's captured in a script that they can read from.  But, most American companies have outsourced customer care in order to cut costs.

In my area RCN is preparing for a major channel lineup change on 10/15/09 as they convert to an all digital format.  This change requires that all of their customers have a cablebox on each tv that cannot otherwise receive a digital signal.  The cablebox will convert the signal from digital to analog so it can be viewed on older televisions.  This in turn would create a large demand on RCN for cableboxes and most likely require them to upgrade the infrastructure to be able to activate and maintain all the equipment on their network.  It's my belief that they did upgrade the firmware in the boxes in preparation for implementing and downloading the new channel line ups to all the equipment.

Only my opinion....  judge for yourself.

(Last Login: Oct 12, 2009 at 3:27:28 PM) bethayres
0 followers
Oct 1, 2009 at 4:40:50 PM  |  #13
[Archived]  

I too have had the same problem (and I also have RCN with a Motorola box), beginning on September 28th or so.  The first TiVo customer service rep diagnosed the problem as a bad serial cable and had me order a new one from them.  The second TiVo rep said to call RCN to see if the serial port had been disabled, and of course  the RCN rep was clueless.  The third TiVo rep insisted that I reconfigure the cable connections between my TV, cable box and TiVo (even though they had been working perfectly the way they were for the last 3 years), and now nothing works at all!  I have ordered the IR blaster in the hope that it will resolve the problem.  I am seriously considering getting rid of RCN, however the other cable providers in my area seem to be just as bad.

(Last Login: Oct 1, 2009 at 8:05:10 PM) glenm
0 followers
Oct 1, 2009 at 8:10:55 PM  |  #14
[Archived]  

Same problem -

RCN Cable (Boston area)

Motorola Box

Tivo Series 2 DVR

Everything has worked for over 3 years

All signs point to problem with seriel connection

I called RCN and the CSR had no idea

She tried sending a signal to the box and that didn't work

She told me she is resetting the box and I am now waiting about 1 hour for the box to fully reset

I have a feeling this will also not work

I generally have been happy with RCN for many years but this is a little annoying.

(Last Login: Oct 7, 2009 at 9:01:37 PM) cchen7
0 followers
Oct 1, 2009 at 9:06:34 PM  |  #15
[Archived]  

Ditto, same problem here:

- NYC RCN (Digital cable)

- Series 2 Tivo

- Worked fine for 3+ years

Based on the above posts & posts elsewhere, it does seem like it's an RCN issue since the IR still functions as a workaround.

Not thrilled with RCN (cable's staticy during rainy weather, internet connection drops randomly, etc) but the apt bldg is an RCN bldg.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 2242
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 3     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS