First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Aug 30, 2010 at 11:05:35 AM) kscircular
0 followers
Tivo Forgets Video Output Format
Aug 6, 2009 at 8:08:23 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I have a series 3 and a plasma HTDV (the display can support all HDTV formats).  By default Tivo wan't to set the output format to 720p. I was to change it to 1080i.  It looks fine in 1080i and when it is set to this resolution I have no problems.

However, I'm not sure when it happens but Tivo switches the resolution BACK to 720p.

How can I look 1080i (fixed) in a have Tivo leave it alone?

Thanks!

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Aug 7, 2009 at 11:49:11 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

I have the exact same problem.  However, I have everything passing thru a Yamaha Receiver.  When I turn off the receiver, the TiVo output is reset to 720p.  I have heard from 4 other people with this problem and all of them use Yamaha receivers.  I have spoken with Yamaha techs concerning this and I think they are beginning to agree that it may be their problem.

A host device (receiver or TV) passes info back to the source device (TiVo) indicating the max resolution acceptable.  It appears that the Yamaha is defaulting to 720p max when it is turned off.  Maybe your TV is doing the same thing.

0 followers
Aug 7, 2009 at 12:20:23 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Interesting.  I have a Yamaha receiver as well (HTR-5990).  After I finish watching TV for the day I do turn the receiver off and maybe that's where the reset is happening.  The thing is,  if I am telling Tivo that I want it fixed at 1080i, why should it reset it?  It sounds like the problem is on Tivo's end IMHO.

Have you tried using the Hybrid mode in Tivo. I wonder if that would solve the problem in that when the resolution changes, Tivo will pass that info off to the Yamaha receiver which should upconvert any signal less than 1080i/p to 1080i. 

jrm01
Aug 8, 2009 at 8:13:47 AM  |  #4
[Archived]  

As I suspected, you are now the fifth person that I have seen with this problem, and all five have Yamaha Receivers involved.  I tried various options on TiVo, but always end up 720p Fixed after a shut down.

I kind of agree that TiVo should ignore whatever info Yamaha is sending back, but the truth is that Yamaha should not be sending incorrect info back.  When devices are connected via hdmi part of the start-up handshaking is a feedback from the host (Yamaha) to the Source (TiVo) telling the Source what the max resolution acceptable is. For some reason Yamaha is defaulting to 720p (even though I have it set to 1080 in the Yamaha also).  I wish that TiVo would ignore this and send the 1080i like I told it to, but changing it to correspond to the host parameters is probably the proper thing to do.

If you would like to join me in convincing Yamaha that they have a problem, their tech support number is 800-854-1965.

0 followers
Aug 8, 2009 at 1:09:31 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

Sure I can give them a call and voice my concern.  I wonder if this condition exists on ALL Yamaha receivers?  I wonder if I hooked it up to the Tivo using component if the problem would persist?

jrm01
Aug 8, 2009 at 3:40:56 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

My guess is that it not happen with Component since there is no way for the Yamaha to talk back to TiVo with Component.

(Last Login: Oct 7, 2009 at 4:33:09 PM) drews
0 followers
Oct 7, 2009 at 4:40:59 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

Same problem here, TivoS3+Yamaha RX-V663+Samsung B850 plasma...  Using component cables does work but I find I get a better picture and much faster video switching with HDMI so it's not a great solution for me.  Hopefully Tivo will allow us to lock in native mode since switching back every time is a real pain (at least I'm getting exercise from getting up to press the format button on the Tivo)...

Drew

(Last Login: Dec 13, 2010 at 4:57:35 PM) jstlawrence
0 followers
Feb 18, 2010 at 3:53:40 PM  |  #8
[Archived]  

Wow. I just Googled this issue, which I just noticed the other day. What didn't occur to me is that the Yamaha YSP-4000 soundbar I recently added to my setup could be the cause. What a weird, annoying glitch. I'll try addressing it in the Yamaha menu, but it sounds like that's been tried.

I'd love to hear if anyone becomes aware of a solution (besides never turning off the Yamaha, I suppose)

(Last Login: Jan 24, 2010 at 9:14:34 PM) mazuca
0 followers
Feb 18, 2010 at 5:30:27 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  
Thanks for the information I truly appreciate your updates.
(Last Login: Nov 9, 2011 at 9:38:50 AM) leroyk
0 followers
Feb 22, 2010 at 6:32:36 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

I too have this issue. Yamaha receiver, Samsung Plasma 860. Has anyone found a fix ?

jrm01
Feb 22, 2010 at 6:45:12 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  

I have actually called the Yamaha engineering department and reported this.  They seemed to have an idea of what was causing it, but no forecast for a fix.

(Last Login: Dec 14, 2010 at 9:21:32 PM) jmlm79
0 followers
May 26, 2010 at 8:40:38 PM  |  #12
[Archived]  

I have exactly the same probably EXCEPT mine reverts to 576p from 1080i.

Yamaha RX-V3900, connected to Tivo (Australian) and Samsung C7000 by HDMI (can't connect by component because the 3D features of the Samsung TV require an HDMI input).

I've heard some theories about powering on the television in advance of the AVR by up to 10secs, but with this kind of delay, you may as well just manually change it each time!

Does anyone know if Yamaha has come up with a fix?

(Last Login: Dec 14, 2010 at 1:00:21 PM) dallen001
0 followers
Aug 19, 2010 at 10:13:43 AM  |  #13
[Archived]  

I have the same problem but with a new TiVo Premiere using a HDMI to Onkyo TX-SR806 and then to a Samsung UN55B7100. And It resets to1080i. So its not just Yamahas.

(Last Login: Aug 29, 2010 at 4:48:23 PM) tlinn
0 followers
Aug 29, 2010 at 4:52:40 PM  |  #14
[Archived]  

Yamaha RX-Z7.  Same problem except that I default back to 480p with my TiVo HD XL.  It's maddening.  It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to directly access the format menu from the remote control but, of course, there isn't.  I can get out of my chair and down on my hands and knees to search for the format button on the actual TiVo unit or I can go through 18 button presses to reset the unit to "Native". 

0 followers
Aug 29, 2010 at 5:56:23 PM (Updated: Aug 29, 2010 at 5:59:47 PM)  |  #15
[Archived]  

I found the solution to the problem....I don't use the receiver for video anymore.  I am just plugging the output from Tivo directly to my plasma tv and I haven't had a problem since.  Where this problem lies is anybodiy's guess.  I might be the HDMI signal getting modified somehow along the way perhaps to the receiver or from the receiver.  It might be a quirk of HDMI itself and could even been an artifact of copy protection.  That's a guess on my part.  But after futzing with this form a few hours I decided to eliminate the middleman (the Yamaha receiver).  It actually makes for a more flexible configuration. I've got ample HDMI connections to my Tivo so there's no problem there. 

One benefit is that if I just want to watch TV I don't have to use the receiver.  It I am watching a movie and want to take advatage of the audio, I just use the optical coming out of the tivo.  The upshot is that I'm no longer using the receiver as a vido switching device anymore, it's now only audio and I'm OK with that.  Since HDMI is unreliable/unpredicatable and that all of my video is now HDMI, I could count on it anymore.  It worked fine for non-HDMI source however.  That's what makes me think this has something to do with a copy-protection algorithm artifact or it could be a weirdness in the HDMI version that is being used between all three devices.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 3   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 3712
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS