At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Jul 18, 2009 at 10:03:13 PM) reckless2k2
0 followers
change video input source TiVo Series 2
Jul 18, 2009 at 9:05:30 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I have basic cable service with no cable box. Comcast called the other day to say that if I don't get a cable box or converter, I won't be able to watch TV in a few weeks.I've got an HDTV so I did some rewiring but I'm having problems changing the input source of the TiVo.

It was coax from the wall to the TiVo then AV out to the TV. Now I have coax going right to the TV and AV out on the TV running to AV input on the TiVo. Even after 2 attempts at resetting up the TiVo, the source remains "coax in" even though I have the AV input setup. During setup, it dones't ask me for the input setup.

How do I change the video input source on the TiVo so I can still use the TiVo? HELP!!!! I don't want to get rid of my TiVo and upgrade to HD or Series 3 is not an option. Hello.....I'm still using just basic cable. hahaha

(Last Login: Sep 10, 2014 at 4:43:09 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Jul 18, 2009 at 9:29:04 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

The A/V inputs on the TiVo Series 2 are for the connection of a cable box or satellite receiver. Since you're not indicating you are using a cable box or satellite receiver, those inputs aren't being used.

I'm a bit confused why you would wire the A/V output of your television over to the inputs of your TiVo. It's almost like you want to use the digital tuner of your television to feed a signal to the TiVo?? This would be a problem if the television is turned off, wouldn't it?

Why not just get a DTA (Digital Tuning Adapter) for the TiVo from your cable provider. I believe they're supplying them at low or no cost.

- Bob

(Last Login: Jul 18, 2009 at 10:03:13 PM) reckless2k2
0 followers
Jul 18, 2009 at 10:06:00 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I appreciate the response.

I thought about the TV turning off as an issue. I also heard that the DTA may kill my dual tuner features.

I'm kind of stuck.

Gotta love a government mandated switch over that's costing EVERYONE money in a recession. Our brilliant government.

(Last Login: Sep 10, 2014 at 4:43:09 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Jul 18, 2009 at 10:26:53 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Please know that the government mandate had absolutely nothing to do with cable at all. It only affected over the air broadcasts. If you want to hold anyone responsible, go after the cable provider who has decided to do this -- it is solely their decision and no one else's.

The Series 2 DT does dual tuning by using an analog tuner -- if none of your cable channels will come in over the analog feed, you can't do dual tuner with a Series 2 DT. However, most cable providers will continue to provide the broadcast channels on the analog frequencies -- so you might want to check further on that.

- Bob

(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Jul 19, 2009 at 12:08:25 AM  |  #5
[Archived]  

A cable DTA is a stripped down cable box. They typically do not have compositwe outputs. You connec the cable to the DTA's coax input, and the DTA coax output to the Tivo's coax input. You will also need an IR cable from the Tivo to the DTA to control channel changing.

Take a look at this suport article:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1277/kw/dta/c/105/r_id/100041

To retain at least some dual tuning functinality, you may need to get a cable box versus a DTA so that you can feed analog cable to the Tivo's RF input, and the cable box output to the Tivo's S-video or composite input.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 2688
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS