At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Sep 13, 2009 at 8:33:02 PM) jtmorgan
0 followers
Missing channels basic cable
Apr 1, 2009 at 12:41:26 AM  |  #1
[Archived]  

My cable company (Cox) broadcasts HD versions of most local channels on their basic cable. I can get these channels fine on my digital tv and I used to get them on my Tivo HD (minus the program guides). However, Cox has this annoying habit of continuously reassigning these channels to new channel numbers. About 6 weeks ago (give or take) I lost those channels from the Tivo channel list and they no longer appear when I scan. I can still receive them on my tv. Does anyone have any ideas? I wasn't able to find anything in my search of the forums.

(Last Login: April 18, 2014 5:18 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Apr 1, 2009 at 6:36:36 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

Do you have cable cards? If you have cable cards, the channelss will appear on the published channels, and you will get guide data for them.

0 followers
Apr 1, 2009 at 7:51:18 AM  |  #3
[Archived]  

No I don't have cable cards. My assumption is that if my tv can pick up the channel then the Tivo should at least be able to find the channel during a scan.

Example:

The local CBS affiliate is on channel 5.1 on the basic cable and I can receive it fine on my tv. But the only 5.1 that appears on my Tivo channel list is off of the antenna (I have antenna and basic cable routed through the Tivo).

I had thought that it might have something to do with the channel being duplicated but the analog stations are picked up off both antenna and basic.

(Last Login: April 18, 2014 8:50 AM) jrm01
jrm01
Apr 1, 2009 at 8:23:28 AM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Those channels are the clear-QAM HD locals that the cable companies provide with Basic Cable.  Unfortunately they like to move them around (I think just to make it harder for you to find them without a cablebox).

When they are moved, you have to do a new channel scan on the TiVo.  Each of the broadcast channels include what is called PSIP data which is used to map the actual channel number being used to a Virtual Channel number which is usually equivalent to the OTA channel number.

Due to the lack of enforceable standards many devixes have a difficult time reading this PSIP data, and therefore each device may interpret it differently.  Therefore, one device (your TV) may display this station on the proper channel (5.1 on your TV) while another device (TiVo in this case) may be displaying it on a different channel.

I'm sure that after running the channel scan you probably ended up with many channels being found (can be 50-100) which have no actual programming (they are actually encrypted).  The channles that you are looking for are probably hidden somewhere in there.  It could be a very strange channel number like 73-2304.

0 followers
Apr 2, 2009 at 7:27:17 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

Tried viewing all the scanned channels but nothing. I may just have to wait for the digital conversion to see what Cox does with their channels. Of course, this wouldn't be an issue if my over-the-air broadcast channels were vaguely reliable. Sadly my apartment complex uses a standard antenna so signal strength is mediocre at best. Either that or the broadcaster's signals are not that good.

jrm01
Apr 2, 2009 at 11:20:16 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

What is your location and zipcode.  Those channels should be there somewhere if your TV is getting them.

0 followers
Apr 3, 2009 at 12:39:18 AM  |  #7
[Archived]  

85233 in Arizona.

Upon closer investigation it looks like Cox is messing around yet again. They have now done away with all rebroadcast digital channels. I now can only find 26 "digital" channels with my tv, and all are being broadcast in 480i. 

jrm01
Apr 3, 2009 at 8:59:18 AM  |  #8
[Archived]  

Cable providers continually move these channels around.  They claim that it is due to rebalancing that they must do when new channels are added, many (me included) believe they do this to discourage the use of this "free service" and encourage the use of their digital premium packages with cableboxes.  Cox in Phoenix seems to be one of the worst offenders.

In the past year I have seen references for KPHO-HD (5.1 in Phoenix) being transmitted on channels 0-705, 106-2 and 73-2.  The zero channel is interesting in that many QAM tuners have a problem picking them up on that channel.

I have always encouraged TiVo to provide support for the clear-QAM HD channels, but I'm sure that it is examples such as yours that discourage them from even trying.

There is a forum on AVS dedicated to Cox-Phoenix and they may be able to help you.  There was even a post just yesterday from someone saying he has had problems getting KPHO. You may want to check it out here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=451563

0 followers
Apr 5, 2009 at 9:23:45 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  

I think I have it figured out.

I helped a friend set-up his digital tv and did a scan for digital channels. We were able to find the rebroadcast channels for all of the local networks. So I went home and tried rescanning on my tv. No luck. The difference: I have limited basic (channels up to 22), he has expanded basic (channels up into the 70s). So apparently Cox moved the rebroadcast channels higher into the spectrum so they are not available on the limited basic. So essentially they are giving me the choice of upgrading my service with them, buying a dedicated digital antenna, or dropping them altogether and going with thier competition. Not the smartest business model in my opinion.

jrm01
Apr 6, 2009 at 7:26:59 AM  |  #10
[Archived]  

Actually per FCC regulation they should be providing the local channels in clear-QAM HD even with their basic level service.  You could call and complain, but it's unlikely you'll find anyone who know what you're talking about.

I would suggest going over to the AVSForum link that I posted above and see if anyone there can help.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1543
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS