At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 25, 2009 at 7:53:18 PM) bobdafish
0 followers
Wall Mount Suggestions - Tivo HD w CableCard
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:51:02 AM  |  #1
[Archived]  

Looking to place flat screen HD panel on wall driven by Tivo HD using CableCard via Fios.

Likely place the Tivo on a wall shelf below the flat panel and route all wires in wall for a clean look.

(If only there was a flat panel with Tivo built in! )

Accounting for all the wires - Tivo (A/C, Ethernet, Cable in, HDMI Out), Flat Panel (A/C, HDMI In).

Any thoughts on other wires needed would be welcome before the wife has the wallpaper hung?

Will I need 2 runs of some sort to support PIP on the TV?  Can 1 Tivo HD drive 2 video outputs?

Really do not want the Fios Cable Box - I know I will lose Video on Demand (will use Tivo) and the Fios Guide (will use Tivo).  Ethernet provides higher speed transfer of VoD from Amazon.

(Last Login: Mar 16, 2014 at 5:42:36 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Feb 25, 2009 at 9:25:30 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

All outputs on the TiVo are active simultaneously, though there may be an HDCP conflict when trying to use HDMI and Component simultaneously with protected content.

Were I you, I'd run conduit in the wall, if possible, so that fishing any extra cables after the fact will be easy.

(Last Login: April 17, 2014 2:41 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Feb 25, 2009 at 9:55:11 AM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Not sure of your budget, but here are some thoughts:

To get the full experience of HD programming I am convinced that a 5.1 surround system is a must.  When mounting a TV on the wall the added benefit is that you can route everything (including TiVo) into an AV receiver and then just have one HDMI cable running thru the wall to the TV.  Then have an electrician raise the power outlet to just behind the TV and you end up with only the one cable in the wall.  BTW, most building codes require that the HDMI cable have CL3 certification, so make sure you get a proper cable for in-wall.

I would also keep the TiVo, AV Receiver, DVD, etc. on a low AV stand rather than having them high on the wall. To me it just looks better.

To utilize the PIP capabilities you would need a second input to the TV.  However, although I was a strong user of PIP before I started using TiVo and rarely (if ever) use it now that I watch everything thru TiVo.  I never watch LiveTV anymore.  Haven't seen a commercial in almost 7 years.  The more you rely on TiVo the less likely you are to even think of PIP.

Just my thoughts.

(Last Login: Feb 25, 2009 at 7:53:18 PM) bobdafish
0 followers
Feb 25, 2009 at 7:56:19 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

You're right about the PiP.  Havent used it much recently other than the occaisional 2 game weekend.

(Last Login: April 17, 2014 2:41 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Feb 25, 2009 at 11:19:20 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

Even on a two game weekend I wouldn't think of using PIP.  I just record both games at the same time.  I start watching one until the first timeout and then Pause it and switch to the other.  Back and forth, Pause and Switch.  Never see a commercial, never see the halftime. Two three hour games watched, every play in less than four hours.

(Last Login: Apr 2, 2010 at 10:39:08 AM) classicsat
classicsat
0 followers
Feb 26, 2009 at 10:26:44 AM  |  #6
[Archived]  

I'd run some sort of conduit in the wall for the signal wires, that way uoi can change/add them as your needs change.

Power must be run by permanent wiring outlets installed. You cannot run the power cords ofthe devices in or through the wall.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1413
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS