First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 19, 2008 at 7:27:22 AM) wjohna
0 followers
TiVo HD and Cablevision
Dec 5, 2007 at 9:16:11 PM  |  #1
Has anyone had any experience (positive or negative) with TiVo HD operating with CableCards on a Cablevision system? Before I commit to upgrading to the HD model, I want to make sure at least most people have been able to get it to work on Cablevision's systems.
(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Dec 6, 2007 at 12:02:55 AM  |  #2
I've got a new HD working on Cablebision in northern NJ since about 2 weeks ago
(Last Login: Dec 31, 2007 at 8:37:38 PM) deezy456
0 followers
Dec 31, 2007 at 8:44:21 PM  |  #3
I recently had 3 different cablevision techs come to the house to try and get the Tivo HD working. None of them could get it working. The cards get getting an error each time they tried them. I am out of Cablevision of Morris.

Do you also have the 2 cable cards in your Tivo decoding?

Cablevision just left me hanging and told me that I should get their DVR. I really don;t want to have to use their DVR!
pdonoghu
Jan 1, 2008 at 1:08:44 AM  |  #4
Yes, I have 2 single stream cable cards. I understand Cablevision is coming out with multi stream cards early in 2008. One of the support techs told me they plan to replace the 2 single stream cards with charging as there have been problems with card #2 not working properly.

My install went smoothly. I suggest you call Tivo support at the number listed under Contact Support on the left of this page. Ask for the cable card special support group. They should be able to work with you and Cablevision to get things working.
(Last Login: Jan 6, 2008 at 8:55:46 PM) prospect1
0 followers
Jan 6, 2008 at 9:04:22 PM  |  #5
I've had a TIVO HD working with Cablevision on LI for about 3 months now. There is a known problem with the NDS cablecards that Cablevision uses that causes the encrypted channels to be lost every once in a while (about once a month). After having a Cablevision tech come to the house twice to replace the cards, I spoke with TIVO today and found out there is an issue with the NDS cablecards. The workaround is to reseat the cards, first Cablecard1 and then Cablecard2 while the TIVO unit is on.
(Last Login: Feb 1, 2008 at 3:09:30 PM) magerm219
0 followers
Jan 12, 2008 at 4:13:28 PM  |  #6
We are in northern Watertown (bordering Morris), and just had our cable cards installed last night. I guess we should feel happy that at least ONE of our NDS cards seems to be compatible, at least temporarily. After hours of trying to troubleshoot myself, I broke down and called TiVo tech support. When I was told about the non-compatibility "problem" (Cablevision uses NDS cards --- their CHOICE, I believe), I had the distinct feeling it was all about getting its customers to use their DVR. Actually all it did was confirm that notion as I got that sense during the installation as well. Suffice it to say this does not set well with us. When you are in a service industry, is that how you keep your customers? I call it coercion.
The TiVo HD tech support person was professional and apologetic. She assured me that TiVo and Cablevision are working to solve this problem. I hope the solution comes about soon.
0 followers
Jan 12, 2008 at 5:10:38 PM  |  #7
I'm in CT. My installation went smoothly, although it took about 1/2-hour per card (as the tech informed me). The tech was pretty experienced with the install, and likes the Tivo HD. He put 2 Scientific-Atlanta cards in my unit--they didn't look new.

Another issue--I just got my first bill. I see that we get hit with an 'additional premium outlet' charge of $1.50/month due to the 2nd cablecard. $2 per card, plus the $1.50 charge.
(Last Login: Mar 16, 2010 at 4:34:48 PM) brunhe
0 followers
Feb 1, 2008 at 10:08:35 AM  |  #8
I purchased a Tivo HD box (last week), installed on 01/25/08, installation went without a glitch (connected TIVO to the coax cable - no settop box).

Called Cablevision, requesting the installation of a M-card in my Tivo HD box (the customer representavive at Cablevision was not aware that of the existence of a M-card, also he insisted that Cablevision does not install cablecards in Tivo box, "we only install it on a TV", was his reply), asked to be connected to another customer representative, same story, but this time I mentioned Tivo HD, and she connected me to the HD department at Cablevision. The lesson here, call Cablevision, ask to be connected to the HD department.

The HD department representative was knowlegeable of the Tivo HD and the installation procedure, I requested a M-card (cable card that supports multiple streams), you may need to spell it out, the M-card terminology used by Tivo is not familiar to Cablevision, schudeled an appointment, for the next week. The Cablevision installer, did a great job, the signal coming to the Tivo HD box was weak, he had to replace the splitter in the attic, then magic everything works fine (he installed a M-card in my Tivo HD box, works like a charm)

I expect that as Tivo HD becomes more prevelant, Cablevision customer reps and installers will be more familiar with it.
0 followers
Feb 1, 2008 at 10:49:17 AM  |  #9
Quick question: what is the practical difference to the end-user of having one multiple-stream CableCard in a Tivo HD vs. having two single-stream cards? Would the user notice any difference with one vs. two cards? Cablevision recently installed two cards in mine.
pdonoghu
Feb 1, 2008 at 11:46:47 AM  |  #10
The difference is you pay Cablevision monthly for either 1 M card, or 2 S cards. So the M card is 1/2 the price.
0 followers
Feb 1, 2008 at 12:50:12 PM  |  #11
Doesn't seem fair. It's actually worse than that. Once I had mine installed, they tacked on a monthly charge for premium services on additional sets. So essentially, it's $2/card plus $1.50 for a total of $5.50/month, which begins to approach the cost of a set-top.
0 followers
Feb 1, 2008 at 3:16:00 PM  |  #12
The only piece I have been able to determine is that with the two cards it enables you to switch between the two tuners and watch and record, etc. Beyond that, I do not know.
0 followers
Feb 1, 2008 at 3:21:00 PM  |  #13
My Cablevison technician said in order to check the signal strength coming in I would have to set up another appointment through Cablevision even though he was standing right there. Everything is done by order only. Yikes. I truly am not looking for something for nothing, but come on!
pdonoghu
Feb 1, 2008 at 4:17:48 PM  |  #14
That's total BS. Either a lazy tech, or one that is outright lying. The first thing the Cablevision tech did was to check unplug the cable going to my HD and check the signal level before installing the cards. My tech was a Cablevision employee. Very professional, knowledgeable, and customer focused. Did you get a Cablevision tech (Cablevision truck) or one of their contractors? I understand the contractors get flat rate per job, and often do the minimum required and get out. I would call Cablevision customer support and complain. I'm also fortunate to have a local Cablevision office in town (West Milford, NJ). The staff there is always very helpful and has even stayed after hours to help me. When I made the cable card appointment, he told me they were sometimes problematic, but if it didn't work, he would refund the service fee. My install could not have gone smoother.
(Last Login: Feb 1, 2008 at 6:10:28 PM) shecky
0 followers
Feb 1, 2008 at 6:29:01 PM  |  #15
I recently upgraded to Digital IO and the Cablevision dvr (I've had the series 2 for a while) - night and day - TIVO rules & would want to get rid of the cablevision box. Want to upgrade to Tivo HD - Question can I still get on demand using the TIvo HD and the cable card? I'm a big fan of Lifeskool on free on demand and is a must have (guitar lessons). Are there any features I would no longer have from IO if I went to the HD Tivo and cablecard?
thanks
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 8097
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS