At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Dec 3, 2007 at 1:33:02 AM) wilburrabbit
0 followers
Programs copy protected on TiVo3 HD, not on TiVo Series 2
Nov 4, 2007 at 3:33:37 PM  |  #1
Have 2 TiVo boxes - no problems transferring programs to my laptop from the Series 2. With the Series 3 HD, all of the cable shows are marked as copy protected, and will not transfer. Only the network channels (CBS, NBC etc) are not. The copy protected programs are not HD. For example, a Discovery program transfers fine if recorded on the Series 2. If recorded on the Series 3, marked as copy-protected. Any ideas?
(Last Login: Nov 12, 2014 at 5:45:30 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Nov 4, 2007 at 4:49:56 PM  |  #2
> If recorded on the Series 3, marked as copy-protected. Any ideas?

There are two different copy protection schemes in effect, obviously configured differently by your cable provider. Providers seem to be protecting digital broadcasts aggressively. Keep in mind that, even those channels that are available as analog are probably digitally simulcast and it's the digital version that your TiVo HD is getting.

You can call your provider and tell them you're seeing this. It's unlikely that the first line of support will be able to help, so don't hesitate to escalate. I had the same issue and had success pursuing the problem through my local franchise authority. I used Cable in the Classroom (http://www.ciconline.org/home) and, specifically, Discovery Channel as an example of where my provider was securing content very much in opposition to the broadcaster's wishes. I made sure my tone was always professional and I politely educated the franchise board. In the end, the provider decided to remove protection from all channels where the broadcaster did not specifically request it. As a result, only Encore Movieplex is protected in my lineup.

In the end, your provider can lock down anything they want to except for broadcast channels, which is pretty much what you're seeing. Your hope is in convincing the provider it isn't useful or necessary to secure those channels that are currently secured.
5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
(Never Logged In) padraic482
0 followers
Nov 5, 2007 at 1:23:45 PM  |  #3
" In the end, the provider decided to remove protection from all channels where the broadcaster did not specifically request it. "

Did that include the Sundance Channel?
sinanju
0 followers
Nov 5, 2007 at 1:32:39 PM  |  #4
I don't have Sundance in my Comcast Digital Classic lineup.
(Last Login: Nov 11, 2007 at 9:04:57 PM) bartonja
0 followers
Nov 5, 2007 at 3:18:58 PM  |  #5
I purchased a lifetime subscription for a TiVo3 HD but have not yet activated it. I am still using my TiVo Series 2 because I so value the TiVo to Go feature. I transfer recorded programs and movies to my laptop and/or my iPod in order to watch on buses, trains and planes or even under the covers in bed while my hubby sleeps away. I was thrilled to see the newsletter notice that TiVo to Go was finally available on the TiVo 3 HD. Now I am worried that my cable provider (Comcast out of Denver, CO) will block me from transferring my favorite programs and movies without the need to call them and try to convince them to take off copy protection. I am not assertive. I keep thinking I should return the TiVo3 HD, lose some money, and just hang onto my TiVo Series 2 that I have a lifetime service subscription on.
(Last Login: Dec 28, 2007 at 1:28:33 AM) rapha
0 followers
Nov 11, 2007 at 1:12:09 PM  |  #6
I have a new Tivo3 HD, and Comcast digital (w/ HBOs). I have the coax going through the tivo with two comcast (motorolla) cableCards.

I have, just this weekend, installed and started figuring out/playing with Home Networking & Desktop (2.5.1). My recordings in "Pick Recordings to Transfer" are copy protected if from HBOHD. The rest are not.

Here are the channels I have recorded from (so far) that are NOT copy protected according to TiVo Desktop 2.5.1

BBCA (SD)
PBS-HD (WHYY)
NBC HD
FOX HD
Comedy Central (SD)
Disney Channel (SD)
Discovery Channel (SD)
History Channel (SD)

(and interestingly (?) I had snagged "An Inconvienient Truth" from SHO-HD during a preview weekend preview a couple of weeks ago that is NOT copy protected)

HTH,

Rapha
(Last Login: Nov 11, 2007 at 9:04:57 PM) bartonja
0 followers
Nov 11, 2007 at 9:09:37 PM  |  #7
Thank you so much for replying to my inquiry. I would appreciate any updates you might have time to provide. As I understand your posting, you are not able to transfer any HBO high definition programs. Are you able to transfer regular digital HBO programs?

Thanks, J. Barton
sinanju
0 followers
Nov 12, 2007 at 9:25:42 AM  |  #8
> Here are the channels I have recorded from (so far) that are NOT
> copy protected according to TiVo Desktop 2.5.1

It is very much illegal for Comcast to protect broadcast networks like PBS, NBC, and Fox. You should call them and tell them you have an issue. Additionally, it is unusual for them to protect any of the basic cable lineup, like the SD channels you listed.

Someone has misconfigured something and you should complain about it.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 2851
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS