At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) pvogel
0 followers
Series 3 HD Frequent Audio Crack/Pop/Dropouts
Jan 26, 2007 at 6:06:08 PM  |  #1
I've got a Series 3 HD, Comcast Cable, 2 cable cards, Sharp LC-46D62U TV, Bose LifeStyle 38 Series II. Here's what I've tried:

TiVo HDMI -> Sharp HDMI
Sharp Optical Audio Out -> Bose Optical In Result:
NO audio at all --- > seems to be a problem with the sharp not directing the HDMI audio to the Bose. Sigh, this would have been the best possible config from the ease of use perspective... But not TiVo's fault!

TiVo HDMI -> Sharp HDMI
TiVo Optical out -> Bose Optical In, Dolby Digital 5.1
Audio, but FREQUENT LOUD pops & cracks in audio, occasional audio dropouts for 1-2 seconds at a time.

TiVo HDMI -> Sharp HDMI
TiVo Optical Out -> Bose Optical In, PCM
Audio, but FREQUENT LOUD pops & cracks in audio, occasional audio dropouts for 1-2 seconds at a time.

TiVo HDMI->Sharp HDMI
Sharp Analog Audio Out->Bose Analog IN, Select Bose's Analog input

TiVo HDMI->Sharp HDMI
TiVo Analog Audio Out -> Bose Analog In

Where am I going wrong? How can I get HD video with acceptable Audio???? Is this a known problem? Is there a magical configuration that works? Is this possibly a defect in the TiVo Series 3 unit I just got?

Thanks!
Peter+
(Never Logged In) pvogel
0 followers
Jan 26, 2007 at 6:21:42 PM  |  #2
I forgot to mention, the audio problem seems to occur ONLY with HD content. SD content is fine. So I'm not sure it's the temperature issue others have spoken of.

Peter+
(Never Logged In) smstnitc
0 followers
Feb 14, 2007 at 10:05:05 PM  |  #3
I've been having the same trouble. This is the only post I've found with someone else having this happen, so I'll probably call TiVo support in the next day or two.

I've tried two different optical cables, just in case that was the problem. In a lot of cases, it seems like just vocals of TV shows drop out, which probably implies its specific channels or something.

I have a PS3 and a DVD player hooked up with optical to the same receiver, with no such issues.

Dan.
(Never Logged In) darearl
0 followers
Apr 3, 2007 at 12:42:23 PM  |  #4
I have the exact same problem. I returned my Series 3 for a new replacement, but still having intermittent audio popping and crackling noise. I notice it most on NBC. My TiVo is connected directly to a Samsung HD TV through the HDMI input. Can't seem to figure out what the problem could be. It seems to pop/crackle frequently when going from commercial back to the TV program.

Anyone have any clues?
(Last Login: Mar 24, 2008 at 12:52:26 PM) delegator
0 followers
Aug 27, 2007 at 7:51:58 PM  |  #5
I'm having the same problem, isolated to a particular situation. When I go from the TiVo menu to "watch live TV" I get a pop from my subwoofer and a zap or static sound from the front and surrounds.

I've got it connected via the optical audio to my Nakamichi receiver, and I don't have this problem on any of my other components (connected via optical or not).

Has anybody had a useful response about this?
(Last Login: Jun 18, 2008 at 1:43:15 PM) jkm123
0 followers
Jun 18, 2008 at 2:21:09 PM (Updated: Jun 18, 2008 at 2:46:36 PM)  |  #6
Try setting your tivo audio setting to dolby digital pcm. Also if you are having problems with your video resetting after exit from fast forward switch to component video.

The problem seems to be unique to Tivo HD (latest one, not the first HD) + Sharp:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=382540
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=389836

Hopefully someone at tivo will buy themselves a sharp LCD (52d64u for example) and get this problem fixed...
(Last Login: Oct 17, 2011 at 11:05:02 AM) philabeemer
0 followers
Oct 17, 2011 at 11:05:40 AM  |  #7

Thanks - changing the setting to PCM worked perfectly!

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 6118
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS