At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) goaliegirl35
0 followers
Want to hook up hub to router for Tivo connection
Mar 17, 2005 at 1:58:23 PM  |  #1
Hi,
I currently have to computers hooked up through a wired router. I would like to hook Tivo up to the network, however, the router is in a different room then the router. I already have one cat5 cable coming from the router through a wall and into the 2nd computer in the room where the Tivo is. I want to know if I would be able to hook up a hub to that cat5 cable and then connect the computer and Tivo to the hub which would then be connected to the router.
In other words my connection would be

Cable modem -----> Router-------> PC1
-------->Hub------->PC 2
-------->Tivo
(Last Login: July 23, 2014 3:41 PM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Mar 17, 2005 at 2:17:27 PM  |  #2
Yes, you can do that. It should be just dandy.
5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
(Never Logged In) fullhouse
0 followers
Aug 10, 2005 at 2:31:12 PM  |  #3
Well I can't get it to work!
I have a similar setup. When I bypass the hub (join the cables with a connector), the Tivo works fine. When I insert the hub in the path between the router and Tivo, the Tivo can't find the gateway/DHCP server. I've tried various settings, hubs, recycling router/tivo/hubs, cables; all to no avail. Other devices plugged into the hub work fine.

What's the problem with having a hub in the network path?
(Last Login: Jul 15, 2014 at 11:40:19 AM) bedelman
bedelman
Aug 10, 2005 at 2:40:18 PM  |  #4
Some hubs have "uplink" ports that are designed to connect to other hubs/routers. WIth "uplink" ports some of the wires are switched around to make them work correctly. In some hubs, the "uplink" port is tied to one of the other ports -- and you can't use them both at the same time (usually there's a printed bracket indicating this on the port labels)

Many devices will auto-sense the nature of the connection and flip the signals around for you -- however, many wired USB ethernet adapters won't do this.

You want to connect the "uplink" port of the hub to the regular port on the router -- and connect anything else to the regular port connections on the hub (but don't use the one tied to the "uplink" port)
0 followers
Aug 10, 2005 at 3:52:35 PM  |  #5
Yep, tried all the combinations I could think of. Still no go.
(Last Login: Jul 20, 2014 at 7:29:17 AM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Aug 10, 2005 at 3:58:15 PM  |  #6
What is the actual make/model of the hub? Perhaps there is something funky about it.
0 followers
Aug 17, 2005 at 1:01:46 PM  |  #7
Right! I tried a 3rd hub and it works fine. Go figure.
Thanks for the help.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 868
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS