At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Nov 6, 2012 at 1:27:34 PM) glennsim
0 followers
Tivo Desktop 2.8.3 and Windows 8 Pro
Nov 6, 2012 at 1:30:43 PM  |  #1

I just installed Windows 8 Pro, and then I downloaded the latest Tivo Desktop, 2.8.3.

What I find is that Windows Media Player will only play the sound on my Tivo recordings.  I knew that there would be a problem playing DVDs (according to the Windows 8 compatibility program), so I installed VLC Media Player and it plays DVDs fine.  I've tried to use VLC for the TiVo recordings but I don't get sound or video on there.

What do I need to do to get this working again?

(Last Login: Sep 22, 2014 at 6:29:13 AM) ggieseke
ggieseke
Nov 6, 2012 at 4:42:32 PM  |  #2

You will need to get a compatible MPEG-2 codec, and possibly one for Dolby audio.

If you're running Windows 8 Pro you can get the Media Center product key for free until Jan 31.  That should have the necessary codecs.  Another option would be to upgrade to Desktop Plus.  Unfortunately I have no idea if either option will work for sure.

VLC can play DVDs because it doesn't use DirectShow codecs.  Everything in VLC is internal to the program, but it doesn't have a decoder for .TiVo files.

You may also want to Google "kmttg" and check out the forums at www.tivocommunity.com.  I suspect that the official answer here will be that Windows 8 isn't supported yet.

(Last Login: Nov 6, 2012 at 1:27:34 PM) glennsim
0 followers
Nov 6, 2012 at 5:58:40 PM  |  #3

Thanks.  I'll look into it.

(Last Login: Mar 14, 2013 at 4:59:17 AM) stevehc
0 followers
Dec 5, 2012 at 5:07:19 PM (Updated: Dec 5, 2012 at 5:10:42 PM)  |  #4

TiVo Desktop and TiVo Desktop Plus for Windows work in Windows 8 even though the TiVo website may state that it is "not supported" (due to lack of thorough testing by TiVo and customers' limited experience with the program on the relatively new Windows 8 OS version). And just like in previous versions of Windows - particularly Windows 7 - the appropriate "codecs" must be installed on your pc in order for transferred programs' video and sound to be seen and heard properly.

The easiest way to ensure that you have the best appropriate codecs installed are to either purchase the full TiVo Desktop Plus version (currently $25), or the complete Windows Media Player package from Microsoft (see the OS's Anytime Upgrade feature). Whether or not one of the free or shareware codec packs that are currently available for download from various websites will consistently work well depends on not only how well those codecs are compatible with TiVo Desktop and WMP, but also how fully compatible they are with your pc's specific hardware components and installed drivers.

Like most 32-bit programs, the application's installer will install the program into the Program Files (x86) folder, and it will run within the OS's  "desktop" mode (rather than as a Windows 8 "app" on the new Start Page); the OS will also automatically place a shortcut tile button onto the Start Page. The program continues to play back transferred programs via your pc's default video media player (usually the Windows Media Player), and the WMP's "fast-forward" and "rapid-reverse" buttons are still nonfunctional when playing back transferred programs (but the program "slider" continues to work).

As in previous versions of the OS, you might need to turn on Network Discovery on your pc - as well as enable file transfers within your TiVo account -  in order to ensure that your TiVo and pc can consistently "see" and communicate with each other.

(Last Login: Jun 14, 2014 at 12:36:01 PM) tivosupport_taylor
tivosupport_taylor
Dec 6, 2012 at 2:37:55 PM  |  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsim View the original post

Thanks.  I'll look into it.

Hello glennsim,

The codec(s) are available from the www.TiVo.com/store when you purchase TiVo Desktop plus.

I would advise using these codecs as they have been tested thoroughly by TiVo.

Thanks!

(Last Login: Feb 18, 2013 at 12:30:59 AM) llmariani
0 followers
Feb 2, 2013 at 12:56:19 PM  |  #6

Thanks so much for posting this response! I just got a new ultrabook with Windows 8 and was having the same issue: Windows Media Player played audio but no video. I spent hours searching the web for an answer before finding this string. Tivo.com should really have this information posted as a caveat to their "IMPORTANT! TiVo Desktop is NOT supported in Windows 8 or above" notice. With your advice, I solved this problem in seconds! Now I can get back to watching my Tivo recordings!  Thanks.

(Last Login: Dec 6, 2013 at 12:20:47 AM) mgrremovals
0 followers
Feb 4, 2013 at 11:43:24 PM  |  #7

Thank you for that link. I was looking where to find Tivo shop.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 5291
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS