First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Aug 2, 2012 at 3:59:56 PM) robertne
0 followers
Tivo cuts off last min of show
Aug 2, 2012 at 4:01:26 PM  |  #1

This is getting really annoying on the majority of my show's Tivo cuts off the last minute of programming causing you to be left with a Clifhanger.   I dont want to extend the shows out 1 min cause it could effect other timers.  Any way to just set the tivo to record all of a program and not cut off the last 30 seconds / min. 

(Currently online) ggieseke
ggieseke
Aug 2, 2012 at 5:13:37 PM  |  #2

If the majority of your shows are being cut off by a full minute something's way off.  Normally a TiVo downloads updates to the guide data and syncs the clock daily.  I occasionally lose a few seconds when the post-show followup interviews go over, but never enough to cut off the actual show.  Also, the guide data  is usually very accurate and it even knows when a show is scheduled to run one minute over.  Your TiVo will record exactly what it's programmed to record to within a second or two.

Does you TiVor call in automatically every day?

Do you record by show, or do you set up manual recordings by date and time?

Can you give some specific examples of shows that usually get cut off?

(Last Login: Aug 28, 2012 at 4:55:38 PM) mauser69
0 followers
Aug 2, 2012 at 8:00:55 PM  |  #3

AFAIK, these problems are always the fault of the broadcasting company (either the station or cable carrier) not having their clocks properly synced, or maybe just not caring to properly align their shows.  A more sinister look at it might suggest the station does this deliberately to screw up the viewer's time sync so when they try to switch channels they find they have already missed the start of another program, so they come back to the original channel.  If you watch the popular prime time shows, you will often see that the most highly rated ones (meaning more viewers) often schedule their programs to run over by one or two minutes for this vary reason - this is different from the clock sync - TiVo shows the scheduled time to run past the hour mark.  In that last case, you would never miss part of the program, but you would never be able to record the entire program immediately following it on a different channel.  The ONLY possible excuse for that BS programming is a deliberate belief that their viewers are not important.

All of that is speculation on my part.  But I can tell you from 10 years of experience with TiVo that some channels ALWAYS start and stop dead on time.  And other channels regularly start a bit early or late.  For example, HDNET MOVIES is 99.8% dead on for EVERY program.  Rarely the recording will be missing just the initial 1 or 2 seconds of the first splash screen, but never all of the intro.  In contrast, TCM ALWAYS starts movies a bit late - maybe up to a minute, and sometimes the ending is cut off because of this.  Occasionally I will see three or four days where all TCM movies are starting a bit early or late, and then they get back to their normal timing.  It is not uncommon for Fox Movies to schedule a 2:01 or 2:02 movie to run in a fixed  two-hour time block, knowing that it will run over.  I record the local news on Fox every day, and absolutely 100% of the time, the news is missing the about 10 seconds off the front..  These individual vagaries support my belief that the problem is with the stations and not the clock in the TiVo

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Aug 2, 2012 at 8:53:25 PM  |  #4

It usually is with the broadcast network and for me is very common with stations like TBS, TNT, USA etc.  Rarely on major network shows.  Compounding this is that local cable companies seem to have a delay of 4-8 seconds on the HD channels when compared to SD channels.

This usually results in a loss of 10-15 seconds for me.

ggieseke
Aug 3, 2012 at 9:20:00 AM  |  #5

Some channels like ABC frequently add extra commercials to a show like Gray's Anatomy just to force DVR owners to choose between staying on that channel or lose the end of the show, but at least they put out accurate guide info.  For channels like TCM the only real option is to pad the recordings and risk conflicts.

I have really good luck with TBS, TNT and USA but I'm recording the SD version on DirecTV for everything but my local channels.  YMMV.

(Last Login: Jun 15, 2013 at 5:40:29 PM) nargg
0 followers
Aug 12, 2012 at 2:49:42 PM  |  #6

Many many many moons ago, I had a Replay TV.  On that box I could add 1 or more minutes before or after each and every recording.  No matter how the recording was taken.  I miss that on Tivo.  While I can add a minute on a season pass, I can't add it to TiVo suggestions (which I actually watch a lot of these!)  This stinks.  No matter how you look at it.  TiVo needs to really be much more user friendly, I hope they see the need for this and fix it.

(Last Login: Jun 14, 2014 at 12:36:01 PM) tivosupport_taylor
tivosupport_taylor
Aug 12, 2012 at 4:09:25 PM  |  #7

nargg,

You can add recording time to TiVo suggestions.  Go to Find Shows > TiVo Suggestions and then on each program you are interested in you can add time by selecting "Options."

Thanks,

Taylor

0 followers
Aug 12, 2012 at 7:20:38 PM  |  #8

Thanks Taylor, that will help.  But it is a LOT of work for all the suggestions I have.  Plus what if a show appears that I don't know I'm interested in yet?  It'd be much easier if there was a global setting.  That way TiVo would not have to worry so much about each and every little clock or TV provider etc etc.  I see this problem show up a lot here on the forums.  It should be a priority issue IMHO.

0 followers
Aug 12, 2012 at 7:21:12 PM  |  #9

(Last Login: Nov 26, 2013 at 11:39:37 PM) jmaclovesme2
0 followers
Aug 18, 2012 at 11:58:47 PM  |  #10

I always get this problem on USA network... It always cuts off atleast a minute... Some of the show, all of the preview of next weeks episode. But I always add a minute to those shows or if it's gonna screw me up adding a minute I look for another airing a couple of hours later and add a minute to those. It's funny because like someone already said its usually USA, TNT, A&E, not abc, NBC, CBS, or fox. It's definitely the broadcast networks fault on how they air the episode. Sorry couldn't be of any more help. Hope you figure it out!

(Last Login: Sep 2, 2012 at 2:03:57 PM) jenstar13
0 followers
Aug 29, 2012 at 9:45:28 PM  |  #11

I'm not sure why Tivo doesn't just let us adjust the clock to match our service provider

I have the same problem on Direct TV

I got to the point where i turned off my one Tivo box, and got a Direct TV dvr

The Tivo is a computer, we should be able to manually adjust the clock

(Last Login: Oct 15, 2013 at 12:22:48 PM) tivosupport_jessica
tivosupport_jessica
Aug 30, 2012 at 7:07:21 PM  |  #12

That's a great suggestion, jenstar13. Please be sure to submit it to us at research.tivo.com/suggestions

(Last Login: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54:32 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Aug 30, 2012 at 7:10:34 PM  |  #13

Jenstar13:

Your TiVo is quite likely to be the most accurate clock in your house.  If you were able to manually adjust the clock, you would almost certainly cause more problems than you'd solve.  The solution is pad the shows' season passes and make sure to prioritize basic cable shows -- which have multiple airings -- below major network shows in the season pass manager so you won't lose any shows to conflicts caused by the padding.

0 followers
Aug 30, 2012 at 7:59:33 PM  |  #14

sinanju, the TiVo clock will be no more accurate than any other computer, device or close with atomic clock setting ability via shortwave or Internet time ability.  Calling it the "most accurate" is a gross over-statement.  And, how in the World could programming an "adjustment" affect it's ability to do it's job otherwise?  It won't, it can't and assuming otherwise doesn't give you any creadance to the subject.  Your opinion on that subject is mis-guided.  I've worked with many systems that are time sensitive, and most that utilize atomic clock abilities, either via short-wave or via internet all have small adjustment abilities to fine tune their exact timing.  This adjustment was standard, and expected to allow for variations in the reception of the time setting from the atomic clocks.  But, neither required or even bothered by being off by up to the maximum for those devices of up to many days.  They'd still run just fine, though the customers were quite upset ;)  It is impossible the TiVo would be affected in any negative way by such adjustments.   Even many applications for Windows and Mac, including the build in OS setup have the ability to adjust by at least half the ping amount for the internet clocks to ensure the computer clock is more accurate if needed.  Please use some more common sense in your considerations for the future, OK?

The main reason the TiVo is off, is that the transmission of the shows on Cable networks are always delayed due to the transmission media.  This is due to switching of the original signal from the nework source, over the many routes it has to take.  Most of those routes are via fiber, a large percentage controlled by Level 3 originally the old Wiltel networks (yes I used to work for them...) which carry almost every cable channel on the planet form the networks out to various providers who also induce some delay as they switch the signal out to the media that carries it to your house, and some via Satellite which induces a big delay in the program by 1 to 2 minutes.  Since the TiVo adhears directly with internet atomic clocks, it will always miss the exact show time by many seconds to at least a couple minutes.  TiVo doesn't do anything about this unfortuantely.  They should.

ggieseke
Aug 31, 2012 at 7:34:33 AM  |  #15

Adjusting the clock by a few milliseconds to account for the ping time is a lot different than manually adjusting it by 1-2 minutes to compensate for TNT.  What happens to your recordings on ABC if you do that, or are you suggesting that they allow you to change the clock on a channel by channel basis?  What happens if you have cable and OTA?  What happens if......

Keeping the system clock accurate, using padding where necessary, and prioritizing the Seeason Passes to minimize conflicts is by far the most logical and common sense approach.  TiVos already do that.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 229
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS