At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: May 10, 2011 at 2:34:01 PM) stoigo
0 followers
TiVo Premiere and Verizon FiOS
May 1, 2011 at 6:32:47 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I currently have a Series 2 (not dual) that I'm not using because, as I understand it, I would need to get another FiOS set top box for it to fully work.  If I upgrade to a TiVo Premiere, would I be able to get rid of my FiOS HD DVR?  If not, could I hook my Series 2 up to the FiOS DVR to just download movies from Netflix, Blockbuster and Amazon? If so, would I use the basic cable box hookup (with DVD recorder) and use my TV input to switch to TiVo?

The FiOS HD DVR does not have a serial connector, and the TV is a Panasonic 42" HDTV.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(Last Login: Feb 13, 2014 at 2:44:16 PM) rsnaider
rsnaider
May 2, 2011 at 11:29:50 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

You can control the FiOS DVR with the Series 2 box but it will only record one channel and the 2nd tuner will no longer work.  The 2nd Tuner on these Serires 2 boxes relied on the analog signal which FiOS does not support.

If you decide to use the box this way, be warned, that using the DVR function on the FiOS box will cause the wrong channel to be recorded from time to time as you can only use the IR Blasters to change channels on the FiOS DVR, but once the DVR tries to change channels on it's own to record TiVo will not know and just blindly record whatever signal is present.

If you upgrade to the Premiere, you would only need a CableCard from Verizon for the new Premiere box.  I have FiOS use this setup, and you will lose on-demand and Pay Per View but for me I never use either.

If PPV and On Demand is something you use, that is all you risk, and with this setup, the HD DVR from FiOS goes back and you only pay 3.99 for the CableCard plus the cost of the TiVo.

5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
(Last Login: May 10, 2011 at 2:34:01 PM) stoigo
0 followers
May 3, 2011 at 7:06:35 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Hi rsnaider.  Thank you so much for your reply and for the info.  Sounds like it's time for an upgrade to Premiere, as I really miss my TiVo!  The FiOS DVR and remote really leave a lot to be desired and Verizon will start charging the $15.99 monthly rental fee next month.  So, thanks again for the necessary info.  It's much appreciated!

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 2298
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS