At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Nov 27, 2010 at 2:34:51 PM) ftlosm
0 followers
Series 1 tivo with lifetime and magicjack
Nov 27, 2010 at 2:42:10 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

Recently moved and i unpacked my series 1 tivo with lifetime service to hook up in my 10 yr olds room with directv basic to capture her favorite shows just for her since I didn't want to pay for an extra dvr in her room.

Got it all hooked up and was about to set up the new numbers and guide setups but can't seem to get the tivo to dial out right with our current magicjack setup :(

Didn't get phone setup since we use our cells 99% of the time, and the series 1 here doesn't have a network jack on it, so I hit google a bit and tried a few things but still no luck

Here is what i have tried so far

Changed prefix to ,#019 (read it was supposed to slow down the modem to 14kbps)

Turned off detect dialtone & phone available

Tried with and without call waiting enabled

But so far if i try to test phone connection or to dial in to change numbers both attempts just say call failed.

LOVE to get this working, so any advice greatly appreciated!

WIsh they would just let me transfer my series 1 lifetime subscription to my series 2 unit that I have that I never use and is also not connected), but at least with the series 2 i could hook it up thru ethernet (had the interface unit for it) just don't want to pay that monthy tivo fee to turn the series 2 on again ($ has been TIGHT due to a pay cut and having to move to a smaller house recently).

Bill

(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Nov 27, 2010 at 5:23:52 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

You have already taken the steps I would have recommended. Unfortunately, Tivos typically do not do well with VOIP which is what Magic Jack is.

(Last Login: Jan 13, 2012 at 8:54:26 AM) kposer
0 followers
Jan 12, 2012 at 10:32:02 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I am considering purchasing a Tivo with lifetime service. However, I really only use my cell phone at home, but have a Magic Jack VOIP number that I could use to connect. I read above that Tivo doesn't work support VOIP phones, but that might be the older unit or there is another alternative. Could you please tell me that if I could get a new Tivo DVR to work with VOIP or an Internet connection? There has to be a way to do this, as so many don't have land line phones any longer.

Thanks.

Kurt

(Last Login: July 30, 2014 4:20 AM) ggieseke
ggieseke
Jan 13, 2012 at 5:58:49 AM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Probably not. Most commercial VOIP services use some variant of the G.729 codec, which was designed specifically to compress human speech into an 8Kbps stream.  That's just not enough bandwidth to support data or fax lines.

On the other hand, while many people are dropping copper phone lines thay almost always have some kind of internet.  All TiVos since the Series 2 came out will work with an internet connection, and there's a 3rd party card that can be retrofitted into Series 1 boxes.  What model are you looking at purchasing?

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 864
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS