At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Oct 19, 2013 at 12:28:04 PM) whm
0 followers
Netflix: video, but no sound
Sep 5, 2010 at 1:56:48 PM (Updated: Sep 5, 2010 at 2:00:54 PM)  |  #1
[Archived]  

I just completed set-up on my Premiere XL.  I activated the Tivo on Netflix, however, when I play anything (and I have tried numerous movies and TV shows), I get picture, but no sound.  I have an LG TV and blu-ray player as parts of this same system that are both Netflix capable, and both will play the same movies and shows with no problem. Is anyone having a similar problem?

I did see on this site a guide to Tivo and Netflix and it had something about Netgear routers with an SPI firewall as having some kind of issue, and to contact the router manufacture.  Is this just an issue with Netgear routers and Netflix when implemented on Tivo only?  It's the same router the LG TV and Blu-ray player are connected to and they work fine, even with my crappy 1.5 Mbps DSL connection.

Equipment:

Premiere XL, Netgear Rangemax router, Ethernet wired connections through a Netgear switch to the Tivo, blu-ray and TV.

(Last Login: Dec 27, 2013 at 7:16:21 PM) comprev
comprev
0 followers
Sep 8, 2010 at 7:23:54 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

Not all Netflix capable devices receive Netflix movies the same way. For example, the TiVo will show small boxes with a preview in it as you FF or REW, a computer will do the same thing; however, many of the Netflix capable devices don't do this. I don't know all the specifics on what's different, just that there are differences.

The first 2 things I would try would be to cold boot the TiVo (unplug it, wait 30 seconds, and plug it in again) and check with Netgear to make sure you have the most current firmware for your router. Also, try forcing a connection to Tivo's servers on your TiVo Premier a couple of times to make sure you have the most current TiVo software on the Premier.

0 followers
Sep 9, 2010 at 7:27:27 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Thanks, Yes I have tried all that, rebooted everything, modem router, tivo etc. and spend about an hour on the phone with tech support to no avail.

Actually I have discovered the problem is MUCH more complicated.  I am actually getting no sound from any of the streaming video sources (not just netflix, but YouTube and "watch now" videos).  BUT it is also affecting some (but not all) downloaded videos as well. For example, I download Tekzilla: no problems.  A few cooking or How To's, and the playback on the download has no sound. I have also noticed that once I get to a place were the sound does not work.. the sound effects on the TIVO also go out!  So I go to Netflix and I get the BaDoop sounds up until I hit Play and the video (without sound) starts.  As I back out of that, there are no sound effects until I get to Tivo Central.. then they start up again.

I have messed around changing the Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital to PCM settings back and forth, and have actually gotten Netflix and YouTube etc. to work (as well as downloaded videos that had no sound at first), but as soon as I get to a situation where there is no sound, everything goes out again.  I have to sort of “jiggle the switch” (change the selection back and forth between the two settings several times). To get things to work.  It does not matter what the setting ends up on either.  I have gotten sound when it was set to DD as well as DD to PCM.  What seems to matter is that I have selected and reselected the settings several times.  But then it still seems to randomly go out, and once I get to a video with no sound.. nothing works then until I “jiggle” the settings again.

Live TV and recorded programs work fine.  Even transferred shows from  my old Series 2.

comprev
0 followers
Sep 9, 2010 at 11:47:10 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Try HDMI, Optical, and the Red/White audio jacks. Do you have the same problem regardless of which audio method you use?

0 followers
Sep 10, 2010 at 4:58:15 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

I have checked the connections, but have not tried a seperate optical or RCA cable out.  I'll do that this weekend.

0 followers
Sep 11, 2010 at 3:06:56 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

OK... It does work with a separate optical cable to the receiver.  Of course that complicates the setup by separating the picture from the sound. Also means the whenever watching the videos that have no sound, I would have to go through the receiver, and not be able to just watch those on the TV  using the TV speakers if I wanted.  I also changed the HDMI cable, but go the same no-sound result, so it is not HDMI cable. Using the optical is still a "workaround" and not ideal.  I have very nice Yamaha THX certified receiver, but it is about 7 years old (pretty much pre-HDMI) and does not have HDMI switching.  The way my system is set up is that I have the Tivo and Blu-ray going to the TV via HDMI (so I get both picture and sound out of the TV).  I have an optical cable out from the TV to one input on the receiver (so I use the receiver basically as an amp with  Dolby Digital decoder).  We can watch anything we want through the TV speakers, but If we want full surround, we just turn on the receiver and turn down the TV.. no need to do any switching on the receiver as the sound is whatever source is selected on the TV. Having to run a separate optical cable from the Tivo, just to watch selected inputs (intermittently to boot!) complicates it a bit.

Does anyone know what they think might be going on with with the sound through the HDMI in the Tivo?  This ONLY happens with certain web videos and off and on with Netflix and Youtube.  Certain web videos work (I find that anything from Revision 3 always work great, both downloaded or streaming) and others send the Tivo into silence (even the BaDoop sound effects go away) until I go back to Tivo Central or live TV. 

comprev
0 followers
Sep 13, 2010 at 4:45:20 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

Well, with what you're describing, I suspect that depending on the file, the audio being put out through the HDMI cable is something the TV doesn't know how to handle. However, changing the PCM settings should handle this. It would be nice if you had or could borrow a receiver that has HDMI inputs and try it with the TiVo connected to the receiver using the HDMI cable. You may also want to call tech support back with the additional testing results and see what they say.

Another option would be to run component video and audio cables to the TV instead of the HDMI cable, assuming your TV will accept them. The TV probably doesn't play surround sound anyway. Most TVs will send the surround sound they receive through their tuner out the optical cable to the receiver, but don't transfer the surround sound input from the HDMI cable to the optical cable, so they only play stereo and if you want the surround sound you'll need to go directly from the TiVo to the receiver anyway. This will give you video and audio out of the TV and when you want the surround sound, you would still have the optical cable from the TiVo to the receiver.

0 followers
Sep 14, 2010 at 2:50:30 AM (Updated: Sep 14, 2010 at 3:02:32 AM)  |  #8
[Archived]  

I tried the component video hookup to the TV (with the RCA audio jacks) and I do always get sound.  Still, the problem is somewhat intermittent, as even with the HDMI hookup I sometimes get sound through theTV with the web videos.  One thing I have noticed is that with both web videos and Netflix, if the source is HD, I always get sound.  So HD movies and HD web videos, like those from Revision 3 (Tekzilla etc.) always work. If the source from these Internet sources is SD, I don't get sound (much of the time). And it really doesn't matter if I have the Tivo set to Dolby Digital, or DD to PCM in the audio setting, results are the same... so maybe it is the TV?.. except that the TV itself is Netflix capable, and does not have any problem with the Netflix movies that are problematic on the Tivo. So it has to be something to do with the HDMI input.  I though that "jiggling the switch" thing with audio setting had something to do with it, but I don't think it really did. I just don't know anyone with a receiver with HDMI switching that I could borrow. Tivo has elevated the issue to a higher level now.. so I'll see what they say in a few days.

I did not know that most TV won't pass the DD surround from the HDMI through the optical cable.  That explains why my reciver always seemed to be in pro-logic mode and does not switch to DD. I had asked sales folks at both Fry's and Best Buy about why I wasn't getting DD 5.1 from the Blu-ray player hooked up the way I had it (HDMI in to the TV, optical cable out from TV to the receiver).  They either had no idea or two guys said that the blu-ray discs that are encoded with Dolby Tru HD or DTS HD don't have regular DD and that I needed to buy a receiver with these newer surround formats, otherwise I was stuck back in the pro-logic days.  I could not believe that there would be no backward compatibility. Well, when I go directly to the receiver with the optical cable, the DD works, even from the Tivo!  So thanks for pointing out the TV does not pass that through.

My receiver does have component video switching, but if I use that for the Tivo and blu-ray, am I not limiting the video to 720?  May not matter much with broadcast TV, but might not be best for the blu-ray discs? 

If I actually want the Dolby Digital to work, looks like I should just go back top hooking up the optical outputs to the receiver.

(Last Login: Nov 24, 2010 at 10:07:03 PM) bwilden
0 followers
Nov 24, 2010 at 10:08:43 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  

I have no sound on youtube, and HDMI through receiver to tv, also via hdmi.  I uploaded an amazon HD show and it played fine.  But no sound through youtube.  I wish I could find out why, so I could play some youtube for the family on Thanksgiving.  I'll try some things tomorrow.

(Last Login: Mar 31, 2012 at 11:10:10 AM) u0492600
0 followers
Mar 31, 2012 at 11:11:38 AM  |  #10
[Archived]  

If you go to system information or settings and set up, you can change audio from dolby digital to   dolby digital to PCM, and then it should transmit through hdmi. THey said surround sound works better through fiberoptic sound, though. So I used fiberoptic sound in addition to hdmi and left it on dolby digital...

Phil

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 10846
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS