At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Dec 15, 2009 at 5:15:26 PM) obg
0 followers
TiVo desktop not working
Dec 3, 2009 at 8:29:08 AM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I had a virus, all in virus chest now and zero virus on scan.  Virus seemed to start in upgrade to 2.8 from 2.7, or else virus first appeared in TiVo desktop.

Tivo desktop icon now absent from bottom status bar, unable to uninstall TiVo desktop, and unable to install new downloaded desktop.

I am told that the access is not available.  TiVo desktop dead in the water, non responsive, unable to uninstall or reinstall

I think I deleted some files from the TiVo desktop that are responsible for it being frozen up (files that contained virus)

Help

 

 

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: October 21, 2014 2:55 PM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Dec 3, 2009 at 11:39:18 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

What antivirus program?

I saw another post, here or at TCF with a report of his A/V giving a false positive on TiVo Desktop.  His workaround of disabling the A/V got TiVo Desktop to work.  I do not recommend you do the same, you need your antivirus.  I suggest you contact the publisher of your A/V software and find out when they put out an update that won't do this.  Once you have the update, re-install TiVo Desktop and it should work again.

At beginning of post row.
(Currently online) ggieseke
ggieseke
Dec 3, 2009 at 12:13:00 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I think it's Avast that's giving false positives with 2.8.

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Dec 15, 2009 at 5:15:26 PM) obg
0 followers
Dec 3, 2009 at 1:58:25 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

The antivirus program which seems to be giving the problem is Avast antivirus

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 17, 2013 at 9:01:26 PM) judyn
0 followers
Dec 3, 2009 at 2:13:23 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

My husband installed the latest version of Avast because AVG9 killed DVArchive downloads (ReplayTV).   Now he has no functioning Tivo Desktop, which he does a lot more than from the ReplayTV.  I didn't change, so I can download from Tivo but not ReplayTV.  That's two companies who have wreaked havok with our toys in the last weeks!

 

He cannot restore. It tries but fails.  Nor could I because the AVG9 fiasco somehow wiped out all of my restore points.  Hey, you can't even go back after these "upgrades"!

Judy

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Dec 15, 2009 at 5:15:26 PM) obg
0 followers
Dec 3, 2009 at 3:08:34 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

I agree, I tried to reset to an earlier setpoint.  The system reset worked, but not the TiVo desktop did not.

Next I tried Acronis File Shreader on the C drive TiVo files.  The thought was that they could be downloaded and replaced if able to shread and destroy what was there.  I was able to shred all but 3 files which were said to be in use somewhere.   I also could not delete these 3 files when I did a search for them.

Also, for some reason the Acronis restore will not restore just that file.  Since all files were save in one bunch, then perhaps all must be restored

 

No progress, you are right, the toy of TiVo desk top no longer functions.

 

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Dec 15, 2009 at 5:15:26 PM) obg
0 followers
Dec 3, 2009 at 4:28:07 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

Solved.  I used Acronis Software to restore only theTiVo files from the desk top hard drive where back ups are stored.  It worked.  I am now using TiVo desk top 2.7 and it works well.

I saw the same problem  in another thread when trying to down load the Calypso file that caused my problem.

First time I have had to use the Acronis and back up system.  It has been a learning experience.

 

At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) sydneyd
0 followers
Dec 4, 2009 at 10:50:00 AM (Updated: Dec 4, 2009 at 10:52:35 AM)  |  #8
[Archived]  

Avast released an update that fixes the issue. It looks like several other programs were effected by false positives. There are instructions on this page showing how to restore the files effected.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51647.0

At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Dec 15, 2009 at 5:15:26 PM) obg
0 followers
Dec 4, 2009 at 10:07:49 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  

The Avast directions were followed, with the files in the virus chest, scanned and replaced after updating the Avast program and definitions.

It worked with errors reported .  There were still inconsistencies in the viewing and sending of email which did not work.

So, back to the Acronis software and back up hard drive on the desk.  Replaced the C drive from back up and things look real good, work well, and I think it's OK.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1110
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS