First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Oct 21, 2009 at 9:13:46 AM) kdreese
0 followers
New cable box/stuck on one channel
Oct 8, 2009 at 1:41:00 PM (Updated: Oct 22, 2009 at 11:22:03 AM)  |  #1
[Archived]  

I had to attach a digital cable box to regain some digital stations that I'd lost in Comcast's digital migration. (Previously I had a direct connection through the cable.) I have a Series 2 single tuner and VCR on this Sony TV. The cable box is Motorola. I'm using a serial cable connector, my home wireless system, and the configuration described here:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/97/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL0dFVDJ4V

I've now run Guided Setup twice. I choose "cable," then "with box" when prompted. Each time, everything seems to go fine. But when it tells me I can now use the Tivo, I'm able to receive one channel only (my cable channel 3). The Tivo thinks it is changing channels when I click its remote, and the Guide changes according to what should be showing. But the TV shows this same one channel. (And now everything that is supposed to be recorded is coming from that station.)

Yes, I do have the IR cable, and will try that instead of the serial, unless anyone has had a similar problem and knows what's going on???

(Last Login: Sep 10, 2014 at 4:43:09 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Oct 8, 2009 at 3:57:41 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

Which TiVo DVR do you have? The first three numbers of the TiVo Service Number (shown in the System Information screen) indicates the model you have.

Does your cable box have a display in the front that tells you when it's changing the channel? If it does, does it do anything at all when the TiVo tries to change the channel?

Do you know the make and model of the cable box you're now using? 

When you went through Guided Setup, it should have asked you whether you were using the Serial control cable or the IR emitters -- and if you selected the Serial Control cable, it should have verified that it was able to communicate with the cable box. Do you remember seeing that? You can also get to the same place without repeating guided setup by going into "Channels" in the Settings menu on the TiVo and then into the "Channel Changing" option.

- Bob

0 followers
Oct 8, 2009 at 4:32:07 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Hi Bob -- Thanks for trying to help.

It's a Tivo Series 2 single tuner. First three nos. on that system info screen are 540.

The cable box (Motorola) looks like the DCT 2000 series pictured on my startup guide.

Weird -- I didn't notice this before, but when I try to change channels using the Tivo remote, the cable box does show it change numbers -- but does not stop. Continues cycling up through the channels, as a TV will do when it finds cable channels for the first time... When I use the cable remote on it, it seems to respond at first, but then continues cycling up through the channels... But the same station is showing on the TV.

Yes, I chose Serial cable and the Tivo seemed to find & communicate with the cable box. It asked me if I saw video (I did) before it went on to verify whether I could use the Tivo remote with the cable box. It said I could, with the possible exception of On Demand, etc. 

Just tried to change it again, and now the cable box is cycling *down* through the channels. Curiouser and curiouser....

(Last Login: Sep 10, 2014 at 4:43:09 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Oct 8, 2009 at 5:16:54 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

What you're seeing with the continual channel changing can happen with serial control -- since the TiVo "knows" whether the change actually took place. When it happened to me several years ago, power cycling the cable box fixed it (you need to physically remove the power on the cable box since the "power" button really doesn't turn it off)

If you're not seeing anything on the television when the cable box is changing the channel, it might be that the output from the cable box is going into the TiVo. Are you using the A/V cables (red/white/yellow) or a coaxial cable connection between the cable box and the TiVo? The System Information screen on the TiVo will show what the TiVo is configured to use (look at the Program Source and Source Input lines)

- Bob

0 followers
Oct 9, 2009 at 1:01:45 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

I tried unplugging & replugging already.

I do see a picture on the TV when the cable box is changing -- always that one same station.

Program source says: Cable box, serial.

Source input says: Coax RF in, Chan 3

I'm using A/V cables between cable box & Tivo. Are you saying that according to source input, I may need to use coax instead of A/V?

(Also have a VCR. Am using the setup I linked to above, which is supposedly for my model of Tivo.)

0 followers
Oct 9, 2009 at 3:15:31 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

OK, update: I have it working OK now, with one small issue. I started by trying to figure out where the problem was. First I plugged the cable box directly into the TV only. It worked fine. So then I tried it with just the cable box and Tivo, and changed the setup from what the Tivo site told me to do. Plugged the coax from the wall directly into the cable box, then used serial cord & tricolor cords from box to Tivo, and Tivo to TV. Ran guided setup again. Everything is working! Channels, On Demand, etc. One small thing: No VCR hookup. Sooo... I think at some point I'll try just hooking up the VCR directly to the TV -- I use it really only for viewing tapes, not recording (the Tivo does that). My TV has several AV outlets in the back, and four "video" outlet options, so I think I could watch it there.

Thanks for the help.

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Oct 9, 2009 at 4:54:22 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

The way that you have just described it is exactly how it should be connected.  If you only use the VCR to watch tapes just connect it directly to a different input on the TV.

Your confusion before was probably caused by the confusing way the TiVo site describes how to connect the VCR for recording transfers from the TiVo, which you don't need.

Enjoy.

(Last Login: Oct 19, 2009 at 10:32:23 PM) milesperhour1086@gmail.com
0 followers
Oct 19, 2009 at 10:37:01 PM  |  #8
[Archived]  

I have tried this QUITE a few times now. I got the new DTA from comcast (The PACE DC50X that everyone has gotten) and hooked my IR cable from comcast and positioned in front of DTA box. I then tried plugging in the external IR receiver for the DTA box as well. I've also tried setting the 'cable box brand' to 'Comcast Digital Adapter' and no luck there either. I've tried 2 and 3 digits for the way to change channels to no avail. I do not have the serial cable but it doesn't sound like that's been much more successful for anyone either.

I have gone through the 'guided setup' 3 or 4 times now and I've gone through just the 'channel changing' setup probably 10-11 times now, all with different configurations to see if I could get ANYTHING to work.

There's got to be some sort of explanation of how to get this to work. I'd rather not upgrade to a new Tivo as I just got this one recently and have enjoyed it up until this point where I can no longer do anything with it. I get the same symptom where I see channel 3 in the background, can change the channel with my Tivo remote and Tivo says it is changing channel, the info changes, etc but the cable box does not change away from channel 3.

HELP!!!

(Last Login: Oct 21, 2009 at 3:24:05 AM) dgamon22
0 followers
Oct 21, 2009 at 3:40:00 AM (Updated: Oct 22, 2009 at 11:20:40 AM)  |  #9
[Archived]  

No me di cuenta antes, pero cuando intento cambiar de canal utilizando el Tivo remoto, el cable lo muestra cambiar los números - pero no se detiene. Continúa en bicicleta a través de los canales, como un televisor a hacer cuando encuentra los canales de cable, por primera vez ... Cuando utilizo el cable de control remoto en ella, parece responder al principio, pero luego continúa el ciclismo a través de los canales de ... Sin embargo, la misma estación se muestra en el televisor.

(Last Login: Jul 26, 2014 at 12:31:36 PM) bbasiliere
bbasiliere
Oct 21, 2009 at 12:02:53 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

This is as close a translation as I could get for the previous message:

I did not realize earlier, but when it tried to change channel using the remote Tivo, the cable shows it to change the numbers - but it does not stop. It continues in bicycle across the channels, as a TV set to do when he finds the channels of cable, for the first time... When I use the cable of remote control in her, he seems to answer at first, but then it continues the cycling across the channels of... Nevertheless, the same station appears in the TV set.

The link has nothing to do with the post.

Barry

(Last Login: Oct 25, 2009 at 9:48:20 AM) patriceo
0 followers
Oct 24, 2009 at 3:12:29 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  

We are going through the same thing here. After speaking with Comcast Tech Support and having a technician come out to fix a connection issue we were informed that with this new and improved digital equipment we now have to have, we can no longer record one channel and watch another. That goes for VCR or Tivo. If we want to record something we have to watch what we are recording (what's the point of that?) or go watch another TV. We can rent a DVR dual tuner from Comcast or they said we could have Comcast install a Cablecard which would give us the capability of recording one channel while watching another. As I browse through the troubleshooting forums it looks like the Cablecards can present a whole new set of problems. Anyway, does anyone out there subscribe to Verizon and are there similar issues with their cable system? We rely on Tivo and VCR recording often while we are watching other channels. Does anyone have a single tuner DVR with a cablecard and does this solve the problem?

Thanks for the help..

ARGH!

(Last Login: October 23, 2014 6:41 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Oct 24, 2009 at 3:53:08 PM  |  #12
[Archived]  

patriceo,

If that "new equipment" is the free digital transport adapter that only has RF input and output, then yes that is correct, but it is also only half of the story.  If you use a real cable box, one with composite or S-video outputs, then you can sitll record some things on two tuners. 

(Last Login: Oct 25, 2009 at 9:48:20 AM) patriceo
0 followers
Oct 24, 2009 at 4:06:02 PM  |  #13
[Archived]  

OK-I will switch box and adaptor and start over. Hopefully that's the answer.

Thanks

(Last Login: Nov 8, 2009 at 11:49:05 PM) steveh1970
0 followers
Oct 25, 2009 at 12:34:17 PM  |  #14
[Archived]  

motorola dta100 and can't get it to work on any of 3 Tivos.

1.  is the ir blaster that came in the box with the dta100 the same as the ir blaster that came with the tivos years ago?

2.  how do you get to the 'advanced' setting where you enter the 10104b?

i taped the ir blasters to the front of the dtas and went through guided setup.  it tried to change the channel  a bunch of times but didn't change it once.  i can change channel on dta with the remote that came with it.  i can see picture in background during testing of channel changing.  on one of my tivos that i haven't repeated guided setup i clicked on channels but the only option under that is channel list.  the other 2 tivos are still in the middle of repeated setup.  advice or a hammer appreciated!

(Last Login: Jul 26, 2014 at 12:31:36 PM) bbasiliere
bbasiliere
Oct 25, 2009 at 12:53:25 PM  |  #15
[Archived]  

1) The IR device that came with the DTA100 is for IR input and more than likely can't be used as an emitter. You should use the ones that came with your TiVo and make sure that the emitters are plugged into the IR port on the TiVo.

2) Here is information provided by bedelman in a different thread:

When you repeat the tests, the TiVo changes the IR code and speed being used to what it "thinks" is appropriate. You can go into the "Advanced Setup" area in the Channel Changing to see what code is currently in effect and manually change the speed to a different value.

If you repeat the channel changing tests, it will undo that custom setting

The Advanced Setup can be found by going into Settings -> Channels -> Channel Changing

You'll need to select that you're using the IR emitters and the type of cable box you're using. Once you've done that, you'll have the option for the Advanced Setup

Inside Advanced Setup, you'll see the IR code (five digits) along with a letter (A, B, or C). Change the code so that the digits remain the same, but the letter is one higher than it currently is set to use (A becomes B and B becomes C)

Save the change -- and do not repeat the channel changing tests

- Bob

I hope that this information helps.

Barry

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 3790
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS