First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Sep 7, 2009 at 7:22:24 PM) jaypeetee
0 followers
I need help getting my Tivo Series 2 single tuner setup with Comcast digital
Aug 29, 2009 at 10:56:19 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I've been happily using my Series 2 for many years now with my analog cable. Today I setup my Motorola DCT2000 digital cable box that Comcast sent me and I cannot for the life of me get my Tivo to receive any signal from it.

I've tried connecting via coax and via the RCA jacks, but still get nothing. I have disconnected and reconnected all cables but to no avail. The cable box is working fine because the TV is working fine.

One quick note -- like I had said, I did not have a cable box connected before, so I had thrown out the IR cable a long time ago. I wouldn't think that this would affect the actual signal coming through, but if that is so, please correct me.

Any suggestions? I'm at a total loss right now.

(Last Login: Nov 27, 2014 at 2:56:27 PM) ggieseke
ggieseke
Aug 30, 2009 at 4:15:36 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

Connect the cable from Comcast to the CABLE IN on the DCT2000.  From there, connect the AUDIO OUT to the audio inputs on the TiVo with RCA connectors, and connect either the S-VIDEO (for better picture quality) or VIDEO output to the video input on the TiVo.  Do not use both video options, and unplug the DCT2000 while making changes to the cabling.  Connect the A/V outputs from the TiVo to your TV.  See http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/97 for hookup diagrams and http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/dct2000/downloads/dct2000_user_ for the Motorola manual.

If you still don't see the cable box go to Messages & Settings - Settings - Video - Video Hookup.  It will detect the current cabling type.  You will have to get an IR cable from the TiVo store or a local electronics shop and hook it up (see http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/115) so that the TiVo can change channels on the cable box.  The serial cable also works with some DCT2000s from Comcast - it seems to depend on the local franchise.

Once it's all hooked up run the Guided Setup on the TiVo again.

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Aug 30, 2009 at 6:01:17 AM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Just one clarification to ggieseke's response:

Paragraph 3 (run guided setup) should be paragraph 2.  You need to do this before you will be able to see the cablebox on the TiVo.  Also, when you run Guided Setup be sure to select "Cable with Box" as your option.

0 followers
Aug 30, 2009 at 7:40:20 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

I have it all connected correctly, I've had this running for about 4 years now.

I double-checked the connections and still no picture.

I just answered "yes" to can i see the picture so that i could get to the Messages & Settings to check the Video Hookup, but still no change -- just a blank screen.

Any other suggestions? This is really frustrating.

I'm also going to have to order an IR cable from Tivo -- checked Radio Shack and Best Buy today and neither had what I needed.

jrm01
Aug 30, 2009 at 7:51:17 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

Go to System Information (under the Settings menu).  What does it say for:

Program Source

Source Input

Cable Provider

Cable Lineup

If you don't have an IR Blaster how are you changing channels for TiVo?

(Last Login: Feb 23, 2013 at 1:42:20 AM) chakk
0 followers
Aug 31, 2009 at 11:38:53 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

I assume you have connected an RF cable from your wall to the "CABLE IN" connector on the back of your Motorola DCT2000 box, and that you have connected an RF cable from the "TO TV/VCR" connector on the back of the DCT2000 box to the RF IN connector on the Tivo.

But you Motorola box also needs a short (6 inches or so in length) RF cable connected between the "RF IN" connector on the back of the Motorola box and the "TO RF IN" connector on the back of the Motorola box.

The Comcast field tech did this when he installed a similar Motorola box in my condo -- you might check if your box came with that short piece of cable already installed.  If not, you will have to add it.

In my case, I was able to connect the serial cable that came with my series 2 single tuner Tivo between the Tivo and the Motorola cable box -- no IR cable required in my setup to change channels.

0 followers
Sep 1, 2009 at 7:36:24 AM  |  #7
[Archived]  

Program Source: ERROR

Source Input: Coax RF In

Cable Provider: Comcast

Cable Lineup: Digital

I'm not even at the point of trying to change channels, I'm just trying to get the video to appear.

0 followers
Sep 1, 2009 at 7:39:18 AM  |  #8
[Archived]  

to CHAKK:

I originally had it coax in and coax out from the Motorola to the Tivo, then Tivo to TV. I had since changed it to use the RCA  and S-Video for connections betweem the 3 pieces.

And the Motorola box came with the short cable already installed on the back of the box as you had pointed out.

I've had this Tivo for so long, and hadn't needed the IR or Serial cables that I must have chucked them years ago. I ordered an IR cable from Tivo yesterday and should have it in 2 days or so.

(Last Login: Feb 23, 2013 at 1:42:20 AM) chakk
0 followers
Sep 1, 2009 at 1:35:31 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  

jaypeete, if you are now using S-video to connect the Motorola cable box to your Tivo, then I think there is something wrong with your guided setup responses (specifically the "video" connection response), because the Information from the Tivo that you posted a couple messages ago says the Tivo is looking for the signal on the Coax RF IN.

0 followers
Sep 1, 2009 at 2:00:12 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

CHAKK

I've actually gone through it several times since my first couple of posts to try the different connection options. I've tried all possible but none of them gives me a picture.

jrm01
Sep 1, 2009 at 3:18:34 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  

It is a little difficult to diagnose this problem since you are using so many different connections and it is hard to tell which one you currently have when you respond to the next question.

You should set everything up using the red-whit and s-video between the cablebox and the TiVo and also the TiVo and the TV.  Then rerun Guided Setup telling TiVo that you have cable with box, and to disable the dual-tuner (if it asks).

Then report back what you have in Settings for:

Program Source

Source Input

Cable Provider

Cable Lineup

0 followers
Sep 1, 2009 at 4:33:39 PM  |  #12
[Archived]  

JRM01

OK, I will connect it as you suggest and rerun the Guided Setup. I don't have a dual-tuner Tivo, just a single. I will report back tonight with the results.

0 followers
Sep 2, 2009 at 7:57:19 PM  |  #13
[Archived]  

JRM01

OK, here we go. This is the current setup:

WALL --> coax --> CABLE BOX (in)

CABLE BOX (out)--> R W Y --> TiVo (in)

TiVo (out)--> R W, S-Video --> TV (in)

I re-ran the Guided Setup and get the following results:

Program Source: ERROR

Source Input: Coax RF In

Cable Provider: Comcast

Cable Lineup: Digital

It appears to me that the TiVo is NOT able to change the source input. I visually verified that there are NO connections to either the coax input or output, just the connections as illustrated above.

Do you know a way to force the TiVo to change the input?

(Last Login: Sep 10, 2014 at 4:43:09 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Sep 2, 2009 at 9:25:33 PM  |  #14
[Archived]  

The Program Source should say that it's using a cable box (and it's not). When you repeated guided setup were you prompted to choose the type of cable box that's being used and go through the channel changing tests? There's a question early in guided setup that asks if you have a cable box connected to the television which I think you answered "yes" -- but you should have been asked what brand of cable box you have -- were you?

The channel changing tests  use the IR cable or serial cable -- and since you don't have the IR cable any more, I'm not sure how you got through those

You also may want to make sure that there's a signal coming out of those A/V connections on the cable box by temporarily connecting them to the television. The TiVo tries to auto-sense the connection and if it doesn't see any signal at all (or if the cable box is powered off) -- it might do what you're seeing.

- Bob

0 followers
Sep 3, 2009 at 7:36:49 AM  |  #15
[Archived]  

No, I wasn't prompted for the make of cable box or any of that. I think I need to reset the system, not just re-run the Guided Setup to get asked those questions. I will try it again.

I received the IR cable yesterday and it is now connected.

I'll also check the RCA cable connections and make sure a signal is coming from the cable box and is showing successfully on the TV. Are there settings in the cable box itself that could enable/disable the video outs connections?

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1106
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS