At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Apr 29, 2009 at 3:51:45 AM) confusedbycomcast
0 followers
Help! How to set up tivo series 2 with Motorola DCH70 cable box from Comcast
Apr 23, 2009 at 4:07:53 AM  |  #1
[Archived]  

Hi, everyone. I am really confused. I finally got a cable box from Comcast due to them switching to all digital. Now, I have no idea how to hook up the tivo. I was trying to read up on it tonight and it seems I need either a serial or an IR cable to connect from the TIVO to the cable box to change the channels. The serial port does not look like it will work as it is only a small headphone type port on the cable box, not the 9-pin whatever. So I am guessing I should be finding an IR whatever cable? So you just plug that into the Tivo and then position it somewhere around the cable box, then it should work? Some of the posts were talking about punching in codes. Do I have to punch in some code numbers, and if so, where? Does anyone know if I will still have dual tuner functionality? I am a newbie to all this and I am really bowled over. Any help is greatly appreciated!

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Apr 23, 2009 at 7:54:48 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

You mentioned that Comcast is going to "all-digital" broadcasting.  Actually they are retaining some analog channels (usually 2-30) so you should set this up for dual-tuning by splitting the coax before the cablebox, one leg to the cablebox and one to the TiVo.  Then you should connect the cablebox to the TiVo using the Composite connections from the cable box (red-white-yellow) to the TiVo.  If the DCH70 has s-video (I can't remember) you should use that instead of the yellow composite.  Then connect the TiVo to your TV with red-white and s-video.

You will need the IR Blaster cable connected from the TiVo to the DCH70 also.  This cable was shipped along with your TiVo box.  If you have lost it you can get a replacement cable on this web site.  Just click on the SHOP link above and do a search for IR Blaster.  The IR sensor is located on the left side of the front panel, just to the right of the Message Light Indicator.  You only need to worry about manually entering the codes if the initial setup doesn't work.

When you run Guided Setup you want to specify that you have Cable with Cablebox, answer YES it is a digital cablebox and answer YES to enable dual tuner.

0 followers
Apr 28, 2009 at 2:42:51 AM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Thanks for the tips. It worked. However, the dual tuner does me no good now. The TIVO cannot get two channels through the cable box, but only one through the box, and one through basic cable. However, the basic cable is very, very grainy and filled with snow. I don't understand what you are saying when you say they didn't switch channels 2 through 30 or whatever. Before last Saturday, all my channels were clear. Since then, the quality through basic cable is ridiculous. They obviously switched something. Nothing changed from my end. So I have to watch tv through the cable box and basic cable does me no good whatsoever!

jrm01
Apr 28, 2009 at 7:31:48 AM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Where are you located (city and zip)?  In all areas that I am aware of Comcast is still providing 29-32 channels on basic cable (SD and analog) and you should be able to get them on the TiVo.

If you look at your Channel List on the TiVo menus you should see these channels listed and they should be checked as CBL, not BOX.  Is this the case?

If you connect the coax cable directly from the wall into your TV do you get these channels?

0 followers
Apr 29, 2009 at 3:56:05 AM  |  #5
[Archived]  

Los Altos, Ca. 94024. Yes both are listed on the tivo, basic cable and box. All the basic cable are very fuzzy. This is the same with the tv, if i just use the cable from the wall. The cable was fine until a week ago Saturday and since then it is very fuzzy. I had not installed the cable boxes until then because everything was working fine. When the channels got all fuzzy, I finally called Comcast. The boxes did not work, and they had to send out multiple techs (subcontractors actually because they are so busy) who finally on the 2nd appointment changed out some fittings under the house and got all the boxes working. The basic cable is still not worth anything, though.

jrm01
Apr 29, 2009 at 8:18:34 AM  |  #6
[Archived]  

If it is fuzzy when going straight to the TV then you need to get Comcast back out there. Could be a bad splitter, bad coax cable, bad connection, etc.

(Last Login: Feb 23, 2013 at 1:42:20 AM) chakk
0 followers
May 1, 2009 at 3:08:07 AM  |  #7
[Archived]  

Los Altos, go back to your Comcast office and request two of the free Comcast DTA boxes that they also are providing to customers with the Extended Basic service.   Also get from your local Radio Shack or Frys or Target or Walmart an RF splitter and  two extra video cables to connect the RF splitter to the cable outlet in the interior wall of the room where your TV and Tivo are located.   Connect the RF splitter to the wall outlet with one of the new cables.  Connect one branch of the RF splitter to your Motorola DCH70 cable box.   Connect the DCH70 Cable box to the RF IN connector on your TV.  Connect the other branch of the RF splitter to the RF IN connector on the Comcast DTA box. Connect the Comcast DTA box to the RF IN connector on your Tivo, using the free cable that comes with the Comcast DTA box.  Connect your Tivo to another connection site on your TV, depending on what types your TV provides -- the simplest would be to use composite cables (yellow for the video, red and white for the audio).   You also will need to hook up the IR blaster cables to your Tivo -- they came in the original packaging, but you can purchase replacements from Tivo if you've lost them.  And position them to send the channel changing signal to the IR receiver in the Comcast DTA box.   I have found it easier to connect the free IR extension cable that comes with the Comcast DTA box and then tape the IR blaster heads to the receiver head on this extension cable.

You will then have to re-run Guided Setup on your Tivo, select digital cable box and the Comcast DTA box as the type, then the setup will test your IR channel changing connections and offer help if it does not work correctly.   Tips of how to make it work properly are found on other threads here.

Once you've done all this, you should be able to see any and all of your cable tv subscription stations on your TV will recording any of these same stations at the same time on your series 2 Tivo.

The fittings under the house probably were related to poor signal strength getting into your house on the Comcast cable, so that the digital cable boxes could receive signals with sufficient signal strength.

jrm01
May 1, 2009 at 6:39:42 AM  |  #8
[Archived]  

Although chakks very thorough description is good advice for someone with a single tuner TiVo, it is not the way you will want to set up the dual tuner TiVo since it does not provide for the direct coax connection to the TiVo which is required for the dual tuning.

The setup in use for the original poster is just fine, the problem is with the quality of the analog channels (as verified when it was connected directly to the TV).  The only solution is to get Comcast out there and find out why the analog channels have such poor quality.

(Last Login: Feb 23, 2013 at 1:42:20 AM) chakk
0 followers
May 2, 2009 at 12:56:11 AM  |  #9
[Archived]  

I completely agree with jrm01 -- my description is only valid for single tuner series 2 models, which are the only models that I own.  

I further agree that if the analog signals are poor quality, then there are likely problems with your wiring, which you may or may not be able to solve yourself.   In my case, I was able to find that the cable connection in the wall itself was loose, and by removing the wall faceplate and tightening up the connections inside the wall box, I was able to improve the signal quality for both my analog signals and my digital transport adapter, which had been reporting "temporary loss of signal" after telephone activation.  Another person has posted instructions in one of these forums on how to get the Digital Transport Adapter to enter diagnostic mode, and I was able to surmise from one of those diagnostic screens that I had a low signal strength in that particular cable routing.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 2400
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS