At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Sep 27, 2009 at 12:00:07 AM) digitalbob
0 followers
Tivo Desktop 2.7 installation error
Feb 14, 2009 at 10:01:14 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I'm running XP Pro with SP3.  I had Tivo Desktop v2.5.1 running successfully on my computer. I tried to install v2.7, but I received an error message. "The installation ended prematurely because an error occurred"

I used the Tivo Uninstall utility, rebooted, and disabled my virus scanner prior to another install attempt, but had no luck.

I have iTunes on my computer, so I do have the Bonjour service installed. ( I saw a different thread mentioning Bonjour is required for 2.7)

Any other ideas out there?

(Last Login: October 24, 2014 6:51 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Feb 15, 2009 at 11:55:31 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

Use the cleaner utility after uninstalling and before re-installing with A/V off.

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2009 at 1:43:35 AM) jeffc2000
0 followers
Apr 21, 2009 at 2:20:13 AM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I am getting this same error trying to install 2.7 after uninstalling an older version.  Additionally, a text editor window opens and displays the text below (BonjourInstall.bat).  Did you ever resolve this Problem?  What Desk Cleaner are you referring to?  And what is Bonjour?

BonjourInstall.bat:

copy "dnssd.dll" "%WINDIR%\system32\dnssd.dll"
copy "dns-sd.exe" "%WINDIR%\system32\dns-sd.exe"

mkdir "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour"

copy "mdnsNSP.dll" "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll"
copy "mDNSResponder.exe" "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe"
copy "About Bonjour.rtf" "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\About Bonjour.rtf"

regsvr32 /s "%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll"

"%ProgramFiles%\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe" -q -install

(Last Login: October 25, 2014 5:00 AM) ggieseke
ggieseke
Apr 21, 2009 at 8:47:43 AM  |  #4
[Archived]  

The cleaner is located at www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivotogo/TiVoDesktopCleaner.zip - note that you have to unzip the entire file to a temporary directory before running TiVoDesktopCleaner.

You can read about Bonjour at http://support.apple.com/downloads/Bonjour_for_Windows.  Your PC and your DVRs use it to discover each other.  If that's causing the installation error try installing version 1.0.6 from Apple (available on the same page) before installing Desktop.  It will see that you already have a newer version and skip over that part of the installation.

I have seen several 2.7 installations that failed with that error message if your user profile is on a different drive than your operating system.  Most people never change the location of their profile, but if you did it will fail every time.  In the last page of http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?postID=10419201 jhoos posted an ingenious workaround for XP.  If you have Vista see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7118724 for HiKent's comments.

Greg

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2009 at 1:43:35 AM) jeffc2000
0 followers
Apr 23, 2009 at 1:49:32 AM  |  #5
[Archived]  

I downloaded and installed the most recent Bonjour version from Apple and that fixed my problem.  Tivo Desktop installed fine afterward.  Thanks.

5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1667
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS