First   |  Previous     Page 2 of 3     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 26, 2009 at 4:11:09 PM) sam foster
0 followers
Re: IR Codes for PACE DC50X
Feb 26, 2009 at 4:17:42 PM  |  #16
[Archived]  

I was able to get mine working using the codes for boxes branded Comcast Digital Adaptor.  Of course this was after trying the Pace boxes and experiencing a couple of hours of frustration.  Good luck.

(Last Login: Dec 26, 2009 at 3:15:43 AM) ribaraki
0 followers
Feb 28, 2009 at 12:51:02 AM  |  #17
[Archived]  

Thanks for the post. I had the problem when setting up to control the Pace DC50x - the Pace manufacturer codes did not work at all. When I changed manufacturer to Comcast Digital Adapter and it worked!

(Last Login: Dec 12, 2009 at 11:51:57 AM) miekel
0 followers
Mar 20, 2009 at 1:38:35 PM  |  #18
[Archived]  

I have this box and am very frustrated.  (Mostly at Comcast for messing me up as everything was fine before I was forced to use the Digital Transport Adapter).  It is a Pace.

Some basic questions...I am setting up the box like this: 

wall-->DTA-->Splitter-->Tivo-->Television and the other end of the splitter going directly to TV.  (In case I need to watch TV without Tivo). Is this the correct sequence?

Also, when going through the set-up process, Tivo asks is I have a cable box. Is this DTA considered a cable box?  I ask as the configuration/illistration on how to hook up a Dual Series 2 Tivo to cable box on the Tivo screen can not be done with this DTA, as it simply only has one basic cable in and one cable out outlet, not all of the other red/white/yellow outlets.  Do I select "Yes" when Tivo asks if this is a cable box? 

I am ignoring the configuration diagram on the Tivo set-up wizard as it cant be done with this DTA, and proceed.  I am then asked if I see a video.  I don't. However, if I say yes, a brief flash of TV comes through, and then we go through the IR process of connecting the sensors to the DTA.

Continuing on the process, I can't get Tivo to change channels. 

I don't want to buy a comcast digital recorder, I want my Tivo!  Please help!  Can someone reply with the set-up process they used, starting from taking the DTA out of the box and plugging it into the ac outlet?  I am not dumb, but I sure feel like a novice.

Thank You!

Signed, My wife is going to kill me if I can't get this Tivo box to work with this Comcast DTA

--

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Mar 20, 2009 at 6:59:14 PM  |  #19
[Archived]  

First of all, there is no reason or benifit to having the splitter after the DTA.  The DTA can only tune to one channel at a time, therefore even though you have the splitter in, the Tv and the TiVo will both be getting the same channel.  There is some benefit to placing the splitter BEFORE the DTA. That way, while the TiVo is recording a channel from the DTA you can be watching one of the remaining analog channels (usually channels 2-30) on the TV.

To set it up this way, take the coax from the wall into a splitter, one output leg into the DTA and the other into the TV.  Then connect the coax output from the DTA into the TiVo RF input.  Connect the TiVo to the TV using a red-white audio and an s-video cable.  If your TV does not have s-video inputs you can use the yellow video cable.

You will also need to use the IR Blaster cable to connect the TiVo to the DTA so that TiVo can change channels on the DTA.

Then run Guided Setup selecting Cable with Box.  When it asks if the Box is Digital answer YES.  When it asks if you want to enable Dual-Tuner mode, answer NO.  The Series DT cannot operate as a dual tuner with the DTA,  When given the option to select the cablebox, pick the Comcast Digital Adaptor.  Then finish the Guided Setup.

If you want to have the dual-tuner function you will have to get the standard cablebox from Comcast, not the DTA.

Good luck.

(Last Login: Apr 2, 2009 at 8:23:04 AM) fabravo
0 followers
Apr 2, 2009 at 8:26:29 AM  |  #20
[Archived]  

Here's another thought and would this work...

I have a Series 2 TiVo and two of the DTA Boxes. I was thinking about (haven't actually done it yet because I'm trying to find my IR Blaster) connecting it this way:

wall-->Splitter-->DTA1-->TiVo-->Television

-->DTA2-->Television

This should allow me to watch regular TV (all chanels) as well as TiVo.

Would this work? Does anyone have it set up this way?

(Last Login: Apr 2, 2010 at 10:39:08 AM) classicsat
classicsat
0 followers
Apr 2, 2009 at 2:23:15 PM  |  #21
[Archived]  

That will work. I basically do the same with satellite.

You will have to shield the TiVo controlled box from outside IR, so you can safely control the other one with its remote.

(Last Login: Apr 7, 2009 at 3:25:34 PM) chazsf
0 followers
Apr 7, 2009 at 3:32:37 PM  |  #22
[Archived]  

"Well this was ridiculously easy to fix...  Even though the instructions in the box say the unit is a PACE DC50X, and the lable on the outside of the box say the model number is a DC50X, the TIVO channel changing setup has an option for "Comcast Digital Adapter" (which this was) - and it works."

Well, for me it's still ridiculously frustrating. I re-ran TiVo Guided Setup and selected Comcast Digital Adapter as the cable box, instead of selecting Pace.  The DTA shows a picture on TV, but still won't change the TiVo channel.  (The remote will change the channel, but that's no help.)

jrm01
Apr 7, 2009 at 4:11:34 PM  |  #23
[Archived]  

Little confused by your statement:

The DTA shows a picture on TV, but still won't change the TiVo channel.  (The remote will change the channel, but that's no help.)

The DTA doesn't change the TiVo channel, the TiVo changes the DTA channel.  Which remote are you saying that will change the channel?

Do you have the IR Blaster from TiVo connected?

(Last Login: May 4, 2009 at 12:32:23 PM) starlet
0 followers
May 3, 2009 at 2:53:20 PM  |  #24
[Archived]  

Add me to the list of people frustrated by the Comcast transition to all digital. While everything is working fine on most of my sets, I cannot get my Tivo Series 2 to change channels using the Pace DC50X and the Tivo IR control set-up.

I have read this forum, tried the Comcast Digital Adapter configuration (rather than Pace), manually adjusted the IR code to 10104-B, run Guided Setup at least three times, and called Comcast (they told me to use the Pace setup). 

Has anyone actually managed to get the Tivo Series2 to work with the Comcast Digital Adapter?  Is it a problem to have the Digital Adapter on top of the Tivo? How critical is the placement of the IR emitters?  I think I'm on the IR sensor properly and approximately 1 1/2" in front of the sensor.

BTW, is it just me, or does anyone else think the Tivo IR cable and emitter set-up is reminiscent of a sixth grade science project?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Last Login: Feb 23, 2013 at 1:42:20 AM) chakk
0 followers
May 5, 2009 at 11:29:29 PM  |  #25
[Archived]  

Yes, I have gotten the  Tivo Series2 single tuner to work with the Comcast Digital Transport Adapter -- model Pace DC50X.   Three of them.  In each case, I am using the IR blasters provided with my Tivos (actually, I had lost one and so purchased a replacement from the Tivo Store website) and the IR receiver extension cables provided with the Comcast Digital Transport Adapters.   I have taped the two IR blaster heads besides the DTA IR receiver head with blue painter's tape.   I have the DTA and the taped package sitting behind my Tivo -- in fact, they are not even visible from the front side of my Tivo/TVcombination.  

The channel changing speed is certainly slower than the old system when the Tivo changed its own channels "internally", but about the same speed as another Tivo I have in my vacation home where a Series 2 is connected to a Motorola digital cable box via a serial cable for channel changing.

I do consider the requirement to use IR signalling for this channel changing a step backward, since it requires, in effect, two IR signals -- one from the Tivo remote to the Tivo, and the second from the Tivo to the DTA.

But it does seem to work - reliably so far (with fingers firmly crossed behind my back) on all three setups.

I do use the Comcast Digital Adapter option, digital box "yes", 3 numbers to change channels, no "enter" required to change channels, and then let the guided setup do its thing in testing its various approaches to changing channels.   One potential "gotcha" is that in my system, the Tivo attempts to change the channel during the guided setup for the remote to one or two specific channels that I do not receive.   And the DTA's channel changing protocol seems to be that if you attempt to go to a channel for which there is no signal, the DTA returns to the previous channel you were on.   So, unless you are watching the TV screen carefully during the process you might answer "no, nothing happened" when you should have answered "yes, the remote changed channels as requested".   Giving this "wrong answer" confuses the Tivo, and eventually its software throws up its "virtual" hands and says it can't program the Tivo remote to change channels correctly.

(Last Login: Feb 23, 2013 at 1:42:20 AM) chakk
0 followers
May 5, 2009 at 11:57:04 PM  |  #26
[Archived]  

I have a Series 2 Tivo and two DTA boxes set up exactly at you show.  The DTA are on two separate shelves, and I use the IR receiver extension cable taped to the IR blaster connected to the Tivo to control channel changing on the Tivo.   This IR blaster/receiver combo and the DTA box itself are both pushed to the far back of the shelf, so they won't be accidently trigger by the DTA remote changing the channels on the other DTA box connected directly to the TV.  All is working well so far.

(Last Login: Jun 14, 2009 at 12:33:59 AM) sshady
0 followers
Jun 14, 2009 at 12:52:20 AM  |  #27
[Archived]  

I spent about 8 hrs and three calls to TiVo technical assistance and two calls to Comcast but FINALLY got my TiVo Series2 DT to run on a single tuner.  TiVo explained I would need a standard cable box to use the dual tuners since the DTA does does not have the audio/video cables to enable TiVo to split the signal.  After Comcast informed me a basic cable box will cost me $5.10 mo. I decided to try another option. 

I purchased an RF modulator from Best Buy and connected the DTA RF out cable to the modulator RF in.  I then connected the modulator to the TiVo with both the red/white/yellow AV cables and the modulator RF out cable. I connected the TiVo to the TV with only the RF cable (TV has no AV jacks). 

I'm hoping that between the DTA and modulator I've replicated the cable box.  I'll keep you posted if this works. 

I too don't want to go the Comcast DVR route.  Although it's less expensive per month ($8.95 vs $12.95) it will only record 40 hrs, not the 80 my TiVo DVR will record.

(Last Login: Jun 14, 2009 at 12:33:59 AM) sshady
0 followers
Jun 14, 2009 at 12:53:14 AM  |  #28
[Archived]  

I spent about 8 hrs and three calls to TiVo technical assistance and two calls to Comcast but FINALLY got my TiVo Series2 DT to run on a single tuner.  TiVo explained I would need a standard cable box to use the dual tuners since the DTA does does not have the audio/video cables to enable TiVo to split the signal.  After Comcast informed me a basic cable box will cost me $5.10 mo. I decided to try another option. 

I purchased an RF modulator from Best Buy and connected the DTA RF out cable to the modulator RF in.  I then connected the modulator to the TiVo with both the red/white/yellow AV cables and the modulator RF out cable. I connected the TiVo to the TV with only the RF cable (TV has no AV jacks). 

I'm hoping that between the DTA and modulator I've replicated the cable box.  I'll keep you posted if this works. 

I too don't want to go the Comcast DVR route.  Although it's less expensive per month ($8.95 vs $12.95) it will only record 40 hrs, not the 80 my TiVo DVR will record.

(Last Login: Jul 29, 2014 at 11:57:54 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Jun 14, 2009 at 8:02:39 AM  |  #29
[Archived]  

An RF-modulator takes an A/V input and turns it into an RF-output (on channel 3 or 4). It sounds like what you're trying to do is to use an RF-modulator in reverse (converting an RF signal to an A/V output). This is what an RF-demodulator (not a RF-modulator) would do -- and, if you can find one, they're usually quite a bit more costly that the $20 (or less) RF-modulator that you probably purchased.

I wish you luck, but I suspect what you're trying will not work

- Bob

jrm01
Jun 15, 2009 at 8:13:06 AM  |  #30
[Archived]  

If you really want to play around with this solution you probably have an RF-demodulator sitting in your basement - that old VCR.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 34083
First   |  Previous     Page 2 of 3     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS