At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Apr 14, 2009 at 8:22:53 PM) bigj3234
0 followers
Tivo Series 2 Hard Drive
Mar 15, 2009 at 7:45:20 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I have had my TiVo for almost two years so it is out of warranty.  If the Hard Drive were to crash, what are my options?  Can I buy any old IDE drive and replace it myself?  If I do that, what happens to the TiVo software?  If I cannot do that, do I have to buy a new one?  Any insight on this would be appreciated.

(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Mar 15, 2009 at 8:46:44 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

You have a number of options. First, I would suggest you contact Tivo customer support to see what your options are. They generally will provide a replacement unit for a nominal charge for out of warranty units. In the past, they have transferred lifetime subscriptions as part of the process.

While opening a Tivo is beyond the scope of this forum, the hard drive can be replaced. You can not just put any drive in the Tivo, it needs to have the operating system and Tivo software specific to that model Tivo installed. If you are technical, there are tools you can get to to this, or you can buy a preloaded replacement disk from a vendor like weakness.com For technical assistance on modifying/repairing a Tivo, you can check TivoCommunity.com Older Tivo's use IDE, newer Series 3 units use Sata drives.

(Last Login: Oct 6, 2009 at 1:58:43 AM) hgao000
0 followers
Oct 6, 2009 at 2:02:32 AM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Hi, Mr. AllStar:

I have a Tivo 2 and found out the existing 40 GB failed after test. Since the drive is already dead, I can't use free upgrade software like MSFtools.

I have a Maxter 300 GB IDE brand new drive. However, where can I get the free software tools to load the Tivo software into the new drive? I have written down the service tag, lifetime service, etc.

Appreciate with your advice.

(Currently online) ggieseke
ggieseke
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 1   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 949
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS