At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 6, 2009 at 3:41:58 PM) psmitty311
0 followers
How can I get 16:9 TV to display 16:9 image from TIVO?
Feb 4, 2009 at 3:47:07 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I'm currently using a Series 2 box. I just replaced an old tube TV with a widescreen HDTV. I have Comcast. It is the second TV in the house, so I'm not using a digital box for it - just receiving a signal through the wall. I have tried switching the video settings on the Tivo to 16:9, but nothing happens. I would asume that at least the Home screen would switch and fill the TV, but no. What am I doing wrong here?

The TV is a 26" Westinghouse, and has the option to display the signal in Standard, Fill, or some form of Zoom. To fill the screen without putting the picture on an instant McDonalds diet, I have to select the Zoom feature on my TV, but then the top and bottom get cut off. This is really noticable in the Tivo Menu screens and during programing that doens't use black bars at the top and bottom.

I'm hoping there's an embarrassingly easy solution to this, because I REALLY don't want to switch back to the tube TV. Why does nothing happen when I change the Tivo's video setting to 16:9?

Please Help!!!

(Last Login: Apr 2, 2010 at 10:39:08 AM) classicsat
classicsat
0 followers
Feb 6, 2009 at 1:04:42 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

The solution is you need to manually set the TV's aspect/Zoom mode as the program or menu requires or you desire. I keep my TV set to 4:3 mode, and Zoom for letterboxed content.

(Last Login: Feb 6, 2009 at 3:41:58 PM) psmitty311
0 followers
Feb 6, 2009 at 3:44:11 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Okay, I can do that, but the picture looks rediculous in standard form with giant black bars on either side. What would I need to do to get a regular picture? Would I need a digital box from my cable provider? Or is there a different Tivo box that would solve this?

Thanks for the prompt response! I appreciate it!

(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Feb 6, 2009 at 11:41:37 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

SD programming is in 4x3 aspect mode. Your screen is 16x9 aspect ration.  Therefore, when it is displayed om your screen in Normal Mode you will see the black bars on each side.

Your TV should have an option to "stretch" the picture horizontally to do away with the black bars.  This will distort the picture slightly.  Some TVs do this stretch in a gradual way, stretching the middle very little, and the sides a little more.  Unfortunately, your Westinghouse is not known for doing this as well as others.

If the Aspect menu on the TV does not have a option called Stretch, it probably uses the Fill for this.

(Last Login: Dec 27, 2013 at 7:16:21 PM) comprev
comprev
0 followers
Feb 7, 2009 at 1:47:37 AM  |  #5
[Archived]  

Having the black bars on the sides is no different than having the black bars on the top and bottom when you were watching wide screen content on your old TV. When the aspect ratios of the content and TV don't match, something has to give. There are really 3 options: 1) leave the picture as is and have bars; 2) stretch the pictures in the direction of the bars only, distorting the picture; 3) zoom the picture maintaining its aspect ratio. If the TV over does the zoom, you will have part of the picture cropped, but usually its not by much. However, the TiVo menus on the Series 2 are in 4:3 format. I can tell my Series 2 that my TV is 16:9, but it doesn't appear to make any difference.

One option you may want to consider would be a TiVo HD. This would fully support your new TV. Also, the TiVo HD has its own zoom option. If you zoom 16:9 content on a 4:3 station using the TiVo HD, the TiVo is smart enough to keep the menus within the screen. The TV has no knowledge of the menus and so it can't do this when zooming. Instead, the TV zooms the entire picture it is receiving, menus and all.

(Last Login: Feb 4, 2010 at 2:18:46 PM) robertsjj
0 followers
Mar 4, 2009 at 2:52:08 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

This is all very good information.  One questions that remains outstanding (for me at least) is why there is a setting to change the aspect ratio of a Series2 from 4:3 to 16:9 if the TiVo will do nothing with it?  Would it, perhaps, make a difference if using S-Video output from the TiVo to the 16:9-native screen?

Clearly, the older TiVo boxes will not produce 16:9 content but one would think that the setting is to force the TiVo to horizontally compress (squeeze) the image so that when using the Wide/Stretch/Panorama/Fill setting of a 16:9-native TV that the TiVo menus look mostly unstretched (by now making the TiVo-squeezed image wide by the feature of the TV).  For why else would the setting be there, right?  I cannot find any other use for that setting on TiVo Inc.'s Support pages.

(Last Login: Apr 2, 2010 at 10:39:08 AM) classicsat
classicsat
0 followers
Mar 5, 2009 at 10:59:53 AM  |  #7
[Archived]  

That setting is only for online content which the TiVo may receive.

S-video will make no difference.

The TiVo and the TV cannot tell the differerence between full screen 4:3 or 4:3 with letterboxed 16:9 content.

(Last Login: Sep 29, 2009 at 9:08:43 AM) wmidwest
0 followers
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:22:27 PM  |  #8
[Archived]  

So you are saying the 16:9 aspect ratio option, should always be selected for the television screen you are using, i.e. HD type televisions with wide screens, correct?   And that only internet video via local network may broadcast/stream in 16:9 for a TIVO series 2?  A bit confused here.  I'm aware of all the ways to manipulate the TV screen either with the TV display options, or satellite receiver/DVR display format options.

(Last Login: Feb 4, 2010 at 2:18:46 PM) robertsjj
0 followers
Mar 6, 2009 at 11:56:23 AM  |  #9
[Archived]  

If I understand 'classicsat' correctly, it sounds like the TiVo will download a 16:9 podcast if given a choice of a 16:9 or a 4:3 when it connects to the podcast servers.  Then, if you want to view it in full screen on your 16:9 TV, you would use the TV's Zoom function (since it would have black bars on the top/bottom AND the left/right of the image on a 16:9 screen; or only on top/bottom on a 4:3).  Zoom on a 16:9 would get rid of the black bars all around.

However, if the TiVo is aware of (by the TiVo Settings) your 16:9 screen, couldn't it internally squeeze the menu image it produces (making the menus tall and skinny: fitting a 4:3 screen vertically but having the text using only the center area horizontally)?  Doing that, the Wide function on the 16:9 TV would re-stretch the menu and then the menu text would be appropriate for the 16:9 screen.

It's not imperative, I guess, but it would be cleaner.  The background image (red screen, in the listing view) would be stretched but that doesn't matter really.

So the remaining questions are whether classicsat is correct and if podcasts are the subject of that setting.

(Last Login: Sep 29, 2009 at 9:08:43 AM) wmidwest
0 followers
Mar 6, 2009 at 8:39:55 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

Sorry, disregard previous post.  The 16:9 video option is somewhat of a misnomer.  Correct me if I'm wrong, it is actually 4:3 with letterbox.  Since the series 2 only processes 4:3 or 4:3 with letterbox as an output.  I understand now....  Never mind............

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 1   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1993
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS