At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 24, 2009 at 9:25:36 AM) ericq
0 followers
Netflix crashing TiVo
Feb 24, 2009 at 9:37:21 AM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I have a TiVo Brand HD using a wireless adapter for network access to the internet and am having problems with TiVo locking up during NetFlix streaming.  The green light illuminates on the front of the TiVo box and the only way to recover is to hard power-off the TiVo by unplugging it.  Upon power up everything is fine again until I start streaming.  I get about half-way through the movie and it locks up.  I have had interference issues with the wireless, so am trying different channels in addition to auto-channel and protection mode for high traffic areas.  Regardless of my problems, TiVo should not lock up.  Support says NetFlix should just close and you should be returned to TiVo Central.  This is not happening.  My next option is to hardwire my TiVo to my network router.  Any ideas?

(Last Login: Nov 12, 2014 at 5:45:30 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Feb 24, 2009 at 10:13:36 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  

There is a known bug with Netflix crashing TiVos if there is an interruption in the network.  A fix went out recently to make the crashes less severe, but removing the crash altogether is going to take them some time.

If the interruptions are being caused by wireless interference, wiring the TiVo to the router will fix the problem.

(Last Login: Apr 6, 2009 at 3:06:38 PM) bukhadavid
0 followers
Mar 23, 2009 at 5:57:31 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

This to happen to started happening a few days ago..But when i'm wire to a ethernet wire not wireless...My TivoHD would crash when i change to movies the screen would just go black and nothing happens when i press every single button..I would have to sit there and wait unti it tooke me to the main menu..They say that it has something to do with a hiccup with the network work..I don't know i always have to reconnect to Tivo again and my netflix works all  over again...Anybody out there know whats going on with this problem?

(Last Login: Apr 4, 2009 at 11:16:02 AM) hdtivotom
0 followers
Apr 1, 2009 at 8:15:58 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

I have three HD tivos and all three of mine started doing the same thing around the same time yours did (around March 20th give or take a few days).  My Internet is fine.  There is some kind of bug in the software.  What version are you running? 11.0b ?  Do you know when you got your last upgrade?  Anyone else reporting this?

HDTivoTom

sinanju
0 followers
Apr 1, 2009 at 8:58:29 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

The status of the problem is the same as I reported earlier.  Its a known issue and TiVo is working on it.  TiVo tends to do Spring and Autumn updates, so I wouldn't expect anything for a month or two.

0 followers
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:13:12 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

yeah mine started about that time around march 20th...i hope they do a update on this soon...I guess it's a good thing that i'm not the only one with this problem..

(Last Login: Apr 6, 2009 at 4:11:45 PM) jamesjill
0 followers
Apr 6, 2009 at 11:45:47 AM  |  #7
[Archived]  

I am a new TIVO user within the last 2 weeks.  I have my TIVO hard-wired to my router and have the same problems...TIVO freezes up almost every time I try to use Netflix.  I have to yank the plug out of the back of the TIVO to get it to work again.  The ability to use Netflix with TIVO was one of the primary reasons I canceled my Dish Network subscription and went with TIVO.  I can stream Netflix on my laptop (with wireless connection) without any problems and very little buffering.  I do have a slower internet connection, 768 kbps, but, as I mentioned, no problems when streaming to my PC.

(Last Login: Apr 6, 2009 at 3:52:07 PM) vipergtsrz
0 followers
Apr 6, 2009 at 2:43:39 PM  |  #8
[Archived]  

It's really nice and fun for you to tell us that TiVo does Spring and Autumn updates, but that's unacceptable imo. This is a serious, showstopping bug with their software. Even if they were months away from releasing a patch, they should have an immediate hot fix as soon as they fix it and keep everyone updated.

We should either get refunded for our monthly TiVo bill or our monthly Netflix bill considering a lot of people got both mainly for that reason. Because this is a TiVo issue, they should do all they can to resolve it as fast as they can.

sinanju
0 followers
Apr 6, 2009 at 2:58:32 PM (Updated: Apr 6, 2009 at 3:02:34 PM)  |  #9
[Archived]  

It's really nice and fun for you to tell us that TiVo does Spring and Autumn updates [...]

Did you forget that All-Stars don't work for TiVo and that this is a peer-support forum... or miss that when you first signed up on this site?  I'm a customer just like you.  If you have a problem with TiVo, talk to TiVo.

As I said.  The problem has been partially patched with another to follow.  That's all the info I have on the subject.

0 followers
Apr 6, 2009 at 3:09:17 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

i hope the update come soon i can't wait...Laughing .. Does anybody know when the date for the update is??

(Last Login: Jul 31, 2010 at 1:09:44 AM) lloydzilla
0 followers
Jul 31, 2010 at 1:09:44 AM  |  #11
[Archived]  

Dear Tivo,

I just wanted to chime as another dissatisfied "My Tivo is crashing when I watch Netflix customer".

My router QOS settings favor Tivo traffic and my Tivo shows a 92% (Excellent) wireless connectivity. I haven't run into this problem on my XBOX or laptop. I understand Tivo is working to resolve this issue and that issues like this must be evaluated and prioritized. So in an effort to have this one prioritized I have listed my value statement below:

#1 Reliability is what I value in a DVR. This problem makes me question my Tivo's ability to perform.
#2 I have not been able to watch a single streaming Netflix movie from start to finish without an issue.
#3 Tonight my Tivo crashed three times while trying to finish one movie.
#4 Tivo crashes. Crashing is serious. It opens my device up to the risk of disk failures. It stops my shows that are recording. Tivo takes a really, really, really long time to reboot
#5 It takes me ~2 hours to watch a 1:32 hour movie (kind of the opposite of Tivo's original prime directive)
#6 After doing some research on google I found an overwhelming number of posts pointing at Tivo causing the problem (i.e. it's happening to a large number of customers)
#7 I am sure you understand not being able to finish a movie is VERY FRUSTRATING ;(

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Yours truly,
Lloyd

(Last Login: November 25, 2014 6:12 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Aug 2, 2010 at 10:32:56 AM  |  #12
[Archived]  

One way you can help is by signing up to be a beta tester.

http://www.tivo.com/beta

(Last Login: Jan 10, 2014 at 10:00:45 AM) bija
0 followers
Feb 1, 2011 at 10:22:12 AM  |  #13
[Archived]  

Just did a search and found this thread. I have only been streaming Netflix on my HD TiVo for a couple of months. It has worked great until last night when it froze up in the middle of something I was watching. I had to unplug my TiVo and reboot it to get it to work again, but the Netflix folder inside the Now Playing area was missing. I also checked my iPhone TiVo app and could not get it to work, so I think it may have been something with Netflix more than the TiVo, but I was able to use my Wi-Fi on my iPhone for email, so I don't think my internet was interrupted, unless it happened briefly then came back. This morning, I see the Netflix folder is back in the Now Playing list and I assume it will work if I watch something.

Now I am concerned. Rebooting the TiVo is no joke. It takes a good 10-15 minutes. If I had been recording something, that would have been interrupted. Is this going to be a problem that comes up now and then or was it a freak happening? I am afraid to use the Netflix streaming now.

(Last Login: Feb 19, 2011 at 12:55:33 AM) pedidoc
0 followers
Feb 19, 2011 at 1:03:24 AM  |  #14
[Archived]  

Any updates to the fix?  I have problems with series 3 and Premiere tivos - at least the premiere reboots itself without needing uplugging.  Intolerable bug, any fixes coming?

It seems to happen when there's a connection issue - for which I blame comcast (I now know what "comcastic" means, and its not good), but the ability to recover should be very basic, and not require a reboot.  No idea why a series 3 takes so long, or why it can't sense a problem.  The premiere at least knows to reboot (shouldn't be necessary).  Looks like 2 generations of Tivo just can't do netflix.

(Last Login: November 25, 2014 6:12 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Feb 20, 2011 at 12:24:50 PM  |  #15
[Archived]  

It is reported that a fix is in the works for the S3 and HD.  There is a thread on the subject in the series 3 forum at www.tivocommunity.com

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 3791
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS