At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Jan 23, 2009 at 9:59:29 PM) jennyh57
0 followers
Is a Land-line Phone connection needed for Tivo?
Jan 23, 2009 at 8:02:40 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

Do I need a land line to connect to my tivo?

Current set-up: Dish for TV. Land-line needed for Dish receiver to "call home".
Tivo: Same as Dish receiver to "call home"
Computer: land-line for DSL Extreme via Verizon phone lines.
Phone lines in apartment over 40 years old! DSL speed too slow!

I want to: Get cable connection ONLY for computer and ditch the land-line.

Questions:
1. Can I split the cable for the computer and connect it to both my Tivo and Dish receivers for them to be able to call home?

2. If so, best splitters/way to do it?

Any easy to understand help is appreciated!!

(Last Login: April 24, 2014 5:20 AM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Jan 23, 2009 at 10:46:36 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

Are  you getting a digital phone line as part of the cable package? If yes, you MAY be able to use the phone line for Tivo and the satellite receiver. Digital phone lines typically don't handle modem type calls very well.

With the cable Internet connection, you can connect the Tivo to the network to get updates. Depending on which model Tivo you have, it may have a built in Ethernet jack, or you may need an approved USB adapter, see www.tivo.com/adapters If you chose to go wireless, you will need a wireless router as well as an approved USB wireless adapter. The Tivo  brand USB wireless G is the best adapter.

So you can connect the Tivo to the network. There is no way to split the cable to get phone service for the satellite receiver. Even if you get phone service from the cable company, it may or may not work with the satellite receiver.

(Last Login: Jan 28, 2009 at 2:08:13 AM) chazzo
0 followers
Jan 28, 2009 at 2:23:33 AM  |  #3
[Archived]  

Hi,

I'm not one of the experts, but here is what I do know.

If you go with cable for high speed internet access, you will need a cable modem (usually free from the cable company nowadays).  If you use a WiFi (wireless ) network router, you can use a WiFi network adapter connected to the TiVo USB port to download program info.  You get other features with the WiFi connection as well.  You can connect the computer to the cable modem via the network router using either a standard ethernet cable and card or you can connect using WiFi by plugging a WiFi adapter into the USB port on your computer.  It's pretty easy.  Just go with a name brand like Linksys or Netgear.

Basically, plug coaxial cable into the cable modem...then connect the cable modem to the wireless network router using the ethernet cable provided...then plug the computer into one of the ports on the wireless network router with an ethernet cable (computer must have an ethernet card installed) OR connect the computer to the wireless network router using a wireless network adapter that plugs into the USB port...then plug a wireless network adapter into the back of TiVo and change the setup from phone line to network.

I like the TiVo wireless network adapter.  It looks cool and is no more expensive than any other adapter.

Plan ahead to set up some security on the wireless network.  Otherwise your neighbors get free WiFi and you lose security.  To set up the router for security you have to be hard wired via the ethernet cable in your computer and the router.

I don't know what the connection capabilities are of the Dish receiver.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 385
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS