At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Apr 1, 2010 at 10:55:23 AM) gmfryer
0 followers
TIVO in Motorhome
Jan 19, 2009 at 11:09:25 AM  |  #1
[Archived]  

Is it possible to use my HD DVR in my motorhome? Most campgrounds have wi-fi and I have the Tivo    Wireless G adapter. Some campgrounds use a username and password, some don't. Any suggestions?

(Last Login: July 23, 2014 3:41 PM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Jan 19, 2009 at 12:28:20 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

If a username and password is required, it won't work.  In that case you would need a more complicated setup that uses a computer as a router via Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS).  That is a discussion that is a bit beyond the scope of this forum, but hopefully someone who was successful doing that will chime in.

(Last Login: Jul 15, 2014 at 11:40:19 AM) bedelman
bedelman
Jan 19, 2009 at 1:02:07 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I few of the campgrounds in which I've used wireless in the past used an initial login (you went to a web page where it asked for the login information). Once that was done, you were good to go for the remainder of your stay (or for how long you purchased access).

However in all cases where it was a separately purchased service with a login, it tied the access to the MAC (hardware) address of the device being used to access their wireless network. Since both my wife and I have laptops, the purchase only worked for one of them.

In one case, we did use Internet Connection Sharing to share the wireless link back out the ethernet connection over to the other laptop.

Other wireless systems included it with the price of the space -- and all you need is their network name and wireless password. In those cases, you'd be good to go.

If they do use the web form with a login, you won't be able to use it directly since the TiVo can't do that -- but ICS would be an option there.

- Bob

0 followers
Jan 19, 2009 at 5:08:17 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Would that wireless sharing work for me since I do have a wireless router I could use? This is real new to me so am not well versed in the router arena.

Greg

bedelman
Jan 19, 2009 at 6:49:14 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

Most wireless routers (and none of which I'm aware) will take in a signal from one wireless network and then re-send it back out over a different wireless network. That's why in the Internet Connection Sharing scenario, I have a wireless link coming in from the campground and then going back out an ethernet connection. Doing something similar with a wireless router might be possible, but it's nothing that I personally have ever attempted -- besides if the campground system uses a web page logon, that's not anything a router can usually do either.

- Bob

0 followers
Jan 19, 2009 at 7:10:13 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

Bob,

I can do a ethernet connection from my computer to the TiVo just not sure of the steps, if you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction on how to do this I would be most appreciative.

Greg

bedelman
Jan 19, 2009 at 7:26:04 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

Greg,

Unfortunately, I cannot give you detailed instructions for using Windows Internet Connection Sharing since I personally don't use this feature in Windows all that much. When I've done it, I've done so using the similar Internet Sharing feature that's available in Mac OSX.

You might want to check out this article regarding ICS in Windows XP and see if it helps...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

- Bob

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 388
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS