First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 3     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Jan 8, 2009 at 4:01:03 PM) wqcustom
0 followers
Serious Netflix and Tivo issues
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:43:02 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

I'm really surprised to do a search on this official Tivo forum and not find too many troubles with the new Netflix service.  Tivo Community forums is loaded with user issues.  Here's my trouble...

Yesterday while watching a Netflix movie on Tivo, I hit the back button on the remote, and the Tivo shut down.   I had to unplug which rebooted the Tivo and all restored.  Tonight while watching Netflix on Tivo, I experienced a network outage with my Comcast cable/internet.  It quickly restored, but my Tivo once again locked up.  Upon rebooting again, the Tivo now locks up on the screen where it says 'Almost there, just a few minutes more'....then nothing.  After waiting over 30 mins and doing this multiple times, I'm now without a working Tivo.  Tivo Community forum is loaded with people who have had similar issues, no fixes yet that I can find.  I had to go to work, so my wife dealt with customer service for 2 1/2 hrs tonight and they did recognize that there are Netflix/Tivo issues, but recommended we pay them for a new Tivo!  Unreal.  Anyone else out there with similar experiences?   I'm running TivoHD directly connected to my internet router (no wireless).  Needless to say, I highly recommend against using Netflix on Tivo til they finish working out the bugs and provide some fixes. 

(Last Login: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54:32 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Jan 7, 2009 at 11:48:48 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

I'm really surprised to do a search on this official Tivo forum and not find too many troubles with the new Netflix service.

There are certainly troubles, but perhaps not as many as you think. It sounds like your troubles are nothing to do with Netflix or the TiVo service, but a dying disk.

Have a look at this.

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/technicalsupport/compatibilityhelp/DVR_Expan

Head for the section entitled Check the TiVo DVR and DVR Expander hard drives

(Last Login: Jan 8, 2009 at 3:29:54 PM) audreyi
0 followers
Jan 8, 2009 at 2:17:59 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I have had a a few issues:

[tivohd, analog cable direct-to-tivo, wireless network, NO ota connection]

- I had the situation where all channels were just grey screen (no audio, either), except for subchannels, which displayed fine.  When I hard-reset the tivo, it went away.  TivoCommunity folks say their similar problems have persisted, despite restart/reboots.  Of course, this problem may not be due to netflix!

- some episodes of a season of shows (e.g. The Office, NCIS) won't display or otherwise cause problems -  I have a somewhat slow network connection - That said, most shows retrieve/play fine.  One show in one season insists on retrieving at a high resolution (all others retrieve at a much lower rate) so the show continues to stop/retrieve/stop/retrieve/etc.  The other shows will play thru without a problem.

- one episode from one season of The Office won't play at all.

These are not SERIOUS netflix  problems, but I wanted to put them out there.

For the most part, I have had a good experience with my two week new tivohd!  It's just that my series 1 tivo has been so bulletproof, I expect the same performance.

audrey

(Last Login: Jan 8, 2009 at 4:01:03 PM) wqcustom
0 followers
Jan 8, 2009 at 4:22:10 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

I sincerely thank you for your attempt to help.  But as I suspected, I didn't have a bad drive.  It was a Tivo/Netflix software glitch that caused my drive to lockup on reboot.  I fixed it using the "kickstart" codes I found on tivocommunity.com.  There are different steps depending on if you have a Series 3, or Tivo HD model.  My trouble was with a Tivo HD model TCD652160.  Here is the thread there that shows so many users in similar situations. 

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=413339

It's verrrry frustrating to know as a consumer that something happened to you that's not your fault, yet customer service likes to blame the customer and make them shell out more money to fix it.  Thank goodness for the internet and forums!   After lots of reading up on this issue, I'm thoroughly convinced that there are still bugs in the Tivo/Netflix relationship that need to be worked out and I'm cancelling my 2 week trial with Netflix. 

For those of you who don't believe this issue is real, pull up a Netflix movie on your Tivo and while watching it, unplug either your internet connection or your Tivo (simulating a network connectivity loss, or power outage).  I don't think you'll like the results of what happens to your Tivo.  I reiterate, do this at your own risk!    I also want to add that I'm not bashing Tivo.  I love Tivo, I have 3 units and have been a lifetime subscriber for close to 10 yrs now.  I have had multiple dvr systems also, and Tivo blows them all away.  I'm sure they'll get this glitch fixed down the road, but until they do, they need to recognize when people have legitimate complaints.  Tivo customer service should have done a better job lastnight. 

(Last Login: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54:32 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Jan 8, 2009 at 4:30:38 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

I sincerely thank you for your attempt to help.  But as I suspected, I didn't have a bad drive.  It was a Tivo/Netflix software glitch that caused my drive to lockup on reboot.  I fixed it using the "kickstart" codes I found on tivocommunity.com. 

If it was fixed with a kickstart, it was a drive issue.  That issue may have been repaired.  Folks may, indeed, see a reboot if they follow your instructions, but that should not cause a hang during boot unless there is something else going on with the disk.

You should run the S.M.A.R.T tests to which I directed you.

(Last Login: Jan 17, 2009 at 8:42:20 PM) richlove
0 followers
Jan 17, 2009 at 8:44:59 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

I have lots of problems with my Series 3 and Netflix.

The main problem is that it hangs the TIVO and I have to reboot by unplugging and plugging back again. There is no one thing that makes it hang. But it seems to happen more often when I pause while watching a movie. Today I had a Netflix movie paused for 5 minutes and it exited back to the main TIVO menu. Then When I tried to use the remote it was hung.

Sometimes the Netflix menu never shows up, just a gray screen.

(Last Login: Jan 17, 2009 at 11:29:54 PM) wkdavies
0 followers
Jan 17, 2009 at 11:32:39 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  

This problem is even worse for me.  I have tried three times to play a movie in my Netflix Instant Queue and each time it locks up my Tivo HD Series 3 DVR immediately.  The only thing I can do after that is cycle to power.  How can this work so poorly?

(Last Login: Jan 19, 2009 at 12:09:56 PM) jmbara
0 followers
Jan 18, 2009 at 1:19:47 PM  |  #8
[Archived]  

I have experienced the same freeze problems with my Series 3 DVR, usually after pausing while watching a Netfix streamed movie or trying to exit at the middle of a movie. Fixing the freeze requires a reboot by diconnecting the power cable. And sometimes the DVR will hang on reboot.

Tivo instructions (as of Jan 18) say to DISCONNECT the ethernet connection and try again if the DVR hangs on reboot:

http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/technicalsupport/issueswithmydvr/My_DVR_is_s

My experience is that these instructions are the opposite of what they should be if your Series 3 hanged while streaming a Netflix movie (or updating the movies list). In fact your DVR may refuse to complete the boot up process until the internet connection is reestablished. I suspect that when the DVR boots up after a freeze while streaming a Netflix movie, the boot up cycle requires a communication with Netflix via internet before the reboot procedure completes. If unable to communicate with Netflix, it will hang forever on "Almost there ... a few minutes more".

This error in the TiVo instructions has caused me quite a bit of grief. My appeal to TiVo: please fix the software so that the DVR recovers more gracefully when there is an internet interruption and please update the reboot instructions on your site.

(Last Login: Jan 19, 2009 at 10:08:05 PM) revmj
0 followers
Jan 19, 2009 at 2:07:29 AM  |  #9
[Archived]  

I've experienced similar problems.  They are detailed here:

http://forums.tivo.com/pe/action/forums/displaythread?rootPostID=10417164

I am currently planning on dropping Tivo completely as I don't need the headaches.

(Last Login: Aug 2, 2010 at 7:03:32 PM) darylmarchant
0 followers
Jan 25, 2009 at 1:54:24 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  

I have had repeated freeze ups while using Netflix on my Series 3 HD box. Each time it required

a "kickstart" procedure to reboot the box. On the third episode the tech support folks were unable to

help me through a kickstart or reboot. It was determined that the HD drive was destroyed in the process. As a result Tivo had to ship me a replacement unit. I would not recommend anyone use the Netflix service on a Tivo until the technical issues are resolved. It could cost you and/or Tivo a lot!

(Last Login: Jan 25, 2009 at 5:09:49 PM) dsisson
0 followers
Jan 25, 2009 at 5:12:55 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  

i have watched over 40 hours of netflix and had one paused for over 30 min. and have not had a problem. hd tivo hardwired to router.

Smile

(Last Login: Aug 2, 2010 at 7:03:32 PM) darylmarchant
0 followers
Jan 25, 2009 at 7:58:37 PM  |  #12
[Archived]  
Hardwired to the router may be the answer. Both of my HD boxes run off the wireless network and that could be the ***** in the armor.

Daryl
(Last Login: Jan 26, 2009 at 10:01:30 PM) thechip
0 followers
Jan 26, 2009 at 10:05:21 PM  |  #13
[Archived]  

Not sure that's the issue. Mine is having problems as well, and I am hardwired. I have a Tivo HD, and when I select VOD it will sometimes hang on the "Please Wait". Then if I hit the back button while watching a movie to back out of it, it will hang with the "Please Wait".

I am going to guess that Tivo is having problems with the VOD service. I am going to call customer support sometimes in the next day and see if I can find out what is going on.

(Last Login: Feb 5, 2009 at 12:03:38 PM) thumbtech
0 followers
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:44:09 PM  |  #14
[Archived]  

Streaming -> YouTube -> OK ... Makes Sense

Streaming -> Netflix -> Not really how I want movies delivered

Download -> Unbox -> Better way

(Last Login: Jan 28, 2009 at 11:25:53 PM) jthomasser
0 followers
Jan 28, 2009 at 11:31:59 PM  |  #15
[Archived]  

i'm experiencing same problems though have not have drive problems. i have a series 3. systems is requiring restart after a few netflix streams. i've done conect to tivo diags, and full home router diags. everything checks out ok.

service is no completely offline and tivo service has no status. its been offline 24 hours. tivo serice unable to provide an eta.

-jase

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 12563
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 3     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS