At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Nov 27, 2008 at 9:41:45 PM) karijackson
0 followers
How to use TiVo without service subscription
Nov 26, 2008 at 9:34:51 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  

After buying HD TV and Tivo HD XL, I have given my old TiVo Series 2 to friends.  The husband is unemployed, so they don't want to pay for the monthly service yet.  I ensured them that I was positive they could use some features of the TiVo (1/2 hour buffer, rewind, pause live TV) without paying for the service.

I am reading this forum and I get the impression I was right about that, it should still work that way, as I know it did in 2002.

But my friends have not gotten it to work.  They say it will not allow them to get out of Guided Setup since they do not have a connection.

I'm sorry I have not obtained any specific error message, yet, to help in the diagnosis....but does anyone know what might need to be done?  Thank you!

(Last Login: Nov 12, 2014 at 5:45:30 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Nov 26, 2008 at 10:27:45 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  

They should not have run guided setup just to get the live TV features you describe.  Unfortunately, there is no way to escape guided setup -- those features do not depend on location or cable service.

If they can plug in a telephone line or broadband network connection, they should be able to complete guided setup even if they quickly lose full TiVo service.

(Last Login: Feb 3, 2009 at 8:48:13 PM) misnomer
0 followers
Feb 3, 2009 at 4:20:36 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

I just got an HD, and I plan to connect my Series2 up to another television -- without the TiVo service or a telephone/broadband connection -- so that I can watch the shows that are already recorded on it. Are you saying that when I hook the Series2 up to the other television I should not run the guided setup? Is there anything I should do when I do hook it up that might not be intuitive/obvious?

(Last Login: Nov 12, 2014 at 5:45:30 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Feb 3, 2009 at 4:51:29 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Do not run guided setup.  Other than connecting it to the new TV, there is nothing you need to do.

(Last Login: Feb 3, 2009 at 8:48:13 PM) misnomer
0 followers
Feb 3, 2009 at 8:57:50 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

Great, thank you!

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 8025
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS