At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Nov 19, 2008 at 7:25:02 PM) jmarqua
0 followers
Error message "Element not found"
Oct 14, 2008 at 10:45:15 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  
When I launch Tivo Desktop I get the following Tivo Desktop error. "Unable to begin Tivo Desktop Element not found."
I have been running version 2.6.2 with no other errors for weeks. Not aware of any other changes to system.
(Last Login: Oct 30, 2009 at 12:52:00 PM) njay4
0 followers
Oct 17, 2008 at 11:46:00 AM (Updated: Oct 17, 2008 at 11:48:25 AM)  |  #2
[Archived]  
Uninstall the TiVo Desktop and see if reinstalling fixes it. If it is still happening uninstall it again and delete the Desktop cache :\Documents and Settings\<computer login name>\Local Settings\Application Data\TiVo Desktop\Cache.
5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
(Last Login: Nov 19, 2008 at 4:52:27 PM) eltee
0 followers
Nov 19, 2008 at 3:03:04 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  

If you uninstall pc desktop do you lose the shows that are saved?

(Last Login: October 21, 2014 3:33 AM) ggieseke
ggieseke
Nov 19, 2008 at 4:42:27 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  

Every case of "Element not found" errors that I've seen was the result of a corrupt show.  Desktop checks out every file when it cranks up and a damaged show is usually the cause of that error.

Try moving all of your videos to another directory and see if it clears up the problem.  It won't hurt to try and it's a smart thing to do before uninstalling anyway.  If Desktop comes up without the error you can move them back a few at a time to isolate the file that it's choking on, and if it doesn't clear up the error you haven't lost anything.  In either case moving them elsewhere guarantees that an uninstall/reinstall of the software won't wipe out all of your programs.

(Last Login: October 21, 2014 7:45 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Nov 19, 2008 at 4:53:41 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  

I believe running the cleaner with the /all switch will delete the contents of the My TiVo Recordings folder, but I am not positive since I haven't tried it myself.  So if you use the /all switch do be carefull and move the files to safety first.

0 followers
Nov 19, 2008 at 7:08:58 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  

Thank you that worked!

0 followers
Feb 1, 2009 at 4:20:12 PM  |  #7
RE: Error message "Element not found"
[Archived]  
My problem has returned. I have totally uninstalled. I ran desktop cleaner
& deleted all old recordings. I even removed all references to TiVo in the
registry. Yet when I ado a new install of TiVo Desktop 2.6.2 on my Vista
run machine I get the error message "Unable to begin TiVo Desktop, Element
not Found". What can I possibly be missing?
ggieseke
Feb 2, 2009 at 6:43:15 AM  |  #8
[Archived]  

Can you enable logging so I can look them over?

Go to the "C:\Program Files\TiVo\Desktop" directory and run "LogFinder.exe".  Check all of the Enabled boxes, click the Close button and reboot your PC. After you log back on do whatever it takes to get the error, then run LogFinder again and click the Zip Logs Now button. Attach the resulting zip file to your next post and I will take a look at it.

You will have to rename the file to something like .zzip as this forum blocks .zip attachments.

0 followers
Feb 2, 2009 at 10:15:46 PM  |  #9
[Archived]  
Thank you advance.

John
ggieseke
Feb 3, 2009 at 10:45:18 AM  |  #10
[Archived]  

John,

I'm seeing two different errors in TiVoServer.log that seem to relate to Auto Transfers.  One is causing an internal error in videos.dll, and the other error is that it's failing when it tries to log on to your online account.  I don't know if or how they're related.

Try running the "Link to my account" function in Desktop again and see if that helps.

The only other thing I can think of to try is manually trashing the folder where Desktop keeps a bunch of working files.  Close Desktop and stop the TiVo Server, rename that directory (in your case it's C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\TiVo Desktop), then reboot.  When Desktop starts up again it will recreate that folder and populate it with all new cache files, cookies etc.  It will wipe out your Auto Transfers and any links to published music or photos, but it might clear up the problem.

0 followers
Feb 3, 2009 at 9:59:42 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  
Forcing it to recreate was successful. I am back in operation thanks to
you. :-)
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1742
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS