First   |  Previous     Page 3 of 3     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 19, 2009 at 7:42:39 PM) dchris
0 followers
Re: Tivo HD - random reboots
Sep 23, 2008 at 10:29:40 AM  |  #31
[Archived]  
Hello all,

I have been experiencing the same exact problems. My Tivo HD reboots randomly when the MyDVR Expander is connected. It first seems to recognize it and it goes through all the setup. The system information reports over 80 hours of HD recording space available. Then sometime later, maybe an hour or two, BAM!, the DVR just re-boots in the middle of everything. Other strange behavior: 1) after completely setting up the drive, I get a message saying that a new external storage device has been detected. When I tell it to go ahead and set it up, it gives me an error, saying it's already set up. 2) Hangs during boot, 3) reboots during boot. 4) Fails all SMART tests on the Tivo (accessed with PAUSE 54 Enter).

Without the expander connected, everything is fine. I have already exchanged one drive and same thing happens with the second bran new unit from Western Digital. Tivo tech support now wants me to exchange the drive AGAIN. This is very unreasonable to me. The chances of two drives in a row being bad is very slim.

So I connected the drive to my PC (it has eSata) and downloaded the DLGDIAG diagnostic software from Western Digital. The drive has passed with flying colors, including both the short and extended SMART tests. I have formatted it, created and verified large backups, spot-checked files, and let the diagnostics bang away at it for 7 hours. There is nothing wrong with the drive.

I'm wondering if the other folks on this thread have seen any additional problems or made any progress with Tivo. I believe this is a problem with the Tivo unit itself. It would be nice if it could be fixed in the software. I have very recently purchased this Tivo, and so I got the latest sofware. It sounds like that may be where the bug crept in.

Thanks
David
(Last Login: Feb 22, 2014 at 7:46:10 PM) ketalabama
0 followers
Sep 23, 2008 at 10:37:52 AM  |  #32
[Archived]  
I've had my new drive connected for several weeks now and have had 0 reboots (I hope I haven't jinxed myself!). I do agree that it is likely that it is Tivo sw and not the drive but right now holding my breath that it will be okay until a sw patch downloads from Tivo.

Sorry to hear about your continued problems.
0 followers
Sep 23, 2008 at 10:39:14 AM  |  #33
[Archived]  
Point of clarification: I have version 9.4-01-2-652 of the Tivo software. I'm actually not sure if that's the latest.
0 followers
Sep 24, 2008 at 11:10:26 AM  |  #34
[Archived]  
Interesting how your setup has been working for weeks now. Given that we are using the same version of software and Tivo box, I wonder why a perfectly good drive would not work for me. And your experience suggests that it's not a problem in the Tivo hardware - unless it's a flaky connector or something (don't sneeze! :-)).

I'm developing a purely unsubstantiated theory that it could have to do with whether the drive has been per-formatted, I'm tempted to re-format the drive with ext2 (or whatever the Tivo uses for a file system - anyone know?), then run the SMART tests on it using the Tivo, even before it has a chance to boot for the first time...
0 followers
Sep 28, 2008 at 11:31:50 AM  |  #35
[Archived]  
Update on my DVR Expander issues:

I have a friend with the same product (MyDVR expander Model WD5000F032), using the same exact Tivo hardware and software version (9.4-01-2-652), and she is having no problems. But when she attempts to run the SMART tests on her drive from the "pause 54" Tivo menu, THEY FAIL. The Tivo says it can't even identify the drive (even though it's in the device list as /dev/hdc).

So it appears that the Tivo disk diagnostics in 9.4 are not a reliable indicator of whether the drive will work.

My best theory now is that there is an incompatibility between Tivo 9.4 and the firmware of some versions of the MyDVR expander drive. My drive has firmware version 12.01C01 on it. I was able to determine this by performing SMART tests with the drive connected to my PC. I'm in contact with WD tech support to see if I can get the firmware version of my friends drive based on it's serial number (I don't dare ask her to connect it to her PC, since it's already working for her!).

To re-cap: When attached to my PC, the drive passes all SMART tests, chkdisk, etc, and works perfectly. When connected to the Tivo, the Tivo randmonly reboots. I've tried changing cables, exchanging the drive, plugging it into different outlets (not through a power strip), rerouting the eSata cable. The SMART tests on the Tivo don't seem to work, even for someone who is otherwise having no problems with using the drive.

I'd be curious to know if others on this thread have tried the TIVO SMART tests with a working DVR expander? Do they work for you? If so, do they report the firmware version of your drive?

Thanks
David
(Last Login: Oct 14, 2014 at 1:00:03 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Sep 28, 2008 at 11:39:33 AM  |  #36
[Archived]  
> So it appears that the Tivo disk diagnostics in 9.4 are not a
> reliable indicator of whether the drive will work.

S.M.A.R.T tests report what the disk thinks about itself, not what your TiVo thinks about the disk. Some of those tests are predictive -- the disk sees signs of impending failure -- failure that has not yet occurred. Those signs can include overly long seek times, etc.
0 followers
Sep 28, 2008 at 12:22:17 PM  |  #37
[Archived]  
[quote]
> So it appears that the Tivo disk diagnostics in 9.4 are not a
> reliable indicator of whether the drive will work.

S.M.A.R.T tests report what the disk thinks about itself, not what your TiVo > thinks about the disk. Some of those tests are predictive -- the disk sees signs of impending failure -- failure that has not yet occurred. Those signs can include overly long seek times, etc.

[endquote]

But the Tivo can't even identify the drive. It doesn't pass the "get status" test. It just says, "drive not present". (This is true for my friend as well, who is apparently having no problems with resets). Also, remember that the drive passes all S.M.A.R.T. tests when connected to my PC, using the DLGDIAG software from Western Digital. I've run the extended test on it, and the drive is fine. It's the Tivo that is having trouble with it, and in all likelihood, the bug is in the Tivo software. Recall that earlier in this thread, a user was having no problems with this until he/she was upgraded to 9.4.
(Last Login: Nov 12, 2008 at 6:17:05 PM) bivrak
0 followers
Nov 9, 2008 at 8:49:49 AM  |  #38
[Archived]  
I had the same problem others described, and it began around the same time, after the last service update. My DVR Expander had been working fine prior to that since last December.

I had the same problem hooking it up to two different TiVo HDs, so I'm sure the DVR Expander is the problem. TiVo works great without it - no rebooting.

I'm following others' leads and exchanging the DVR Expander for a new one. Fortunately, mine was still (just barely) under warranty.

I'll let everyone know how it works for me once it's here and been hooked up for a while. I'm cautiously optimistic, as this seems to have worked for everyone else.

I suspect, as someone else has already suggested, a conflict between the firmware of the early DVR expanders and the latest TiVo software update.
0 followers
Nov 9, 2008 at 11:32:16 AM (Updated: Nov 9, 2008 at 11:59:38 AM)  |  #39
[Archived]  
I exchanged a bran new DVR Expander twice. When the third expander still didn't work, I began to suspect my A/C power, as it does fluctuate from time to time. I ended up getting a UPS and plugging the expander into that. It's been about 3 weeks now, and I have experienced no resets (that I know of).

Note that I also tried plugging the Tivo into the UPS, and found that it tended to freeze up when I first power up my TV and amp. Something about the way the UPS (with voltage regulation BTW) reacts to the sudden current drain of my amp coming on seems to cause the Tivo to lock up sometimes. So I plugged the Tivo back into the power strip (bypassing the UPS) and all seems well now.

I still can't explain why a working DVR Expander fails the Tivo SMART tests but passes SMART tests when connected to a PC. I still have a feeling that something is not quite right with the Tivo software - especially since these problems started surfacing after the recent update. Also, when running the TIVO SMART tests on a working DVR Expander, the Tivo can't even recognize the drive.

Lastly, it just seems like the Tivo should not be so sensitive about being plugged into a UPS. I have no idea whether the Tivo employs some sort of low-power interrupt handler, but if it does, the problem could be there. It's acting like an interrupt service routine is not cleaning up properly (ACKing the low power interrupt properly). Just a WAG from an embedded software engineer that tends to think along those lines!
(Last Login: Feb 14, 2009 at 10:51:36 AM) jcontino
0 followers
Feb 14, 2009 at 10:53:34 AM  |  #40
[Archived]  

I got my second expander.. same reboot problems.

One problem is, that its people like you and me sending in these hard drives that appear to work fine.. they work for days on my tivo actually.  I seems likely the "refurb" department finds no problems and puts them back into circulation.

So, it could be the Tivo... but it could be the expander still.. I don't know that I have the patience to try to get WD to send me a third drive... and deal with loosing shows each time I disconnect after it runs for a few days...

0 followers
Feb 15, 2009 at 11:40:42 AM  |  #41
[Archived]  

I feel your pain. I've finally given up on the expander for now. With my third expander, the Tivo eventually started locking up and randomly resetting again. Since this was my third expander, Tivo agreed to exchange the Tivo unit itself. I have been using my new Tivo without the expander for a few weeks now, with no reset or freeze-up problems. I don't have the heart or the patience right now to plug in the expander and see if it works. Even with a lot less storage, I'm enjoying having a working Tivo again.

I still suspect that the Tivo software is to blame for this. The expander is just a disk drive - probably running tried-and-true firmware that has been working for years. The two expanders that I tested with my PC checked out fine, with flying colors. The real complexity  (and hence the liklihood for bugs) is in the Tivo software, which is undergoing a lot of bleeding-edge development. When you plug in an expander, you are activating a different part of the software inside the Tivo. If problems start occuring, it would be a mistake to automatically blame the expander.

If I ever do plug the expander back in, I'll report what I find.

(Last Login: Feb 22, 2014 at 7:46:10 PM) ketalabama
0 followers
Feb 18, 2009 at 10:58:06 AM  |  #42
[Archived]  

Sorry to hear y'all are still having issues. Luckily (keeping fingers crossed) the replacement expander I received several months ago has been working like a champ. I've had zero issues. And a friend recently purchased the expander and it has been working fine for her.

I do agree it was a software issue. I'm just hoping it stays ok when they do another update!

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 1   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 7036
First   |  Previous     Page 3 of 3     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS