At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Nov 7, 2008 at 11:29:09 PM) babele
0 followers
wireless network adapter
Nov 2, 2008 at 2:19:49 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  
I've had a TIVO wireless network adapter for about 2 years. No problems. Now, the wireless network adapter cannot find the network. Attempts to reconfigure have failed. No signal at all. Is the network adapter broken?How long do they last?
(Last Login: April 24, 2014 5:20 AM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Nov 2, 2008 at 4:29:47 PM  |  #2
[Archived]  
Does the Tivo recognize the adapter? What do you see when you go to Tivo central > Messages & settings > settings > phone & network?
(Last Login: Nov 9, 2008 at 6:10:22 PM) kpj
0 followers
Nov 2, 2008 at 6:01:37 PM  |  #3
[Archived]  
I'm having the same problem. Wireless tivo adapter has worked great.. well maybe not great, but adequate for over a year. I've downloaded movies, I've transferred things to my PC.. no problems. Last successful attempt was on 10/30/08. On the 31st I tried to transfer shows to my PC and it said there was no DVR on the network. I checked Tivo and now it doesn't see ANY network. Not my network, not my neighbors network, not any of the dozens that show up on my laptop. I thought the adapter had gone bad so I bought a new one... same problem. I've re-entered all the network/WPA info several times and nothing works. I've rebooted tivo several times as well, including unplugging it from the wall. My laptop receives excellent signal strenght and when Tivo was working a few days ago, it was seeing 90% signal strength. This was with my router only set to 50%. I've increased it to 100% power output and still nothing. It almost seems like whatever software was downloaded on 10/30 has screwed up my Tivo.
(Last Login: April 24, 2014 1:14 PM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Nov 3, 2008 at 10:52:04 AM  |  #4
[Archived]  
Have you tried different wireless channel settings on the router?
(Last Login: Nov 3, 2008 at 2:47:59 PM) papparosy
0 followers
Nov 3, 2008 at 2:58:51 PM  |  #5
[Archived]  
same problem, D-Link DWL-122 suddenly can't be found. worked fine for two years. tried unplugging tivo, router, etc. no luck.
(Last Login: Nov 7, 2008 at 11:29:09 PM) babele
0 followers
Nov 7, 2008 at 11:49:49 PM  |  #6
[Archived]  
TIVO recognizes the wireless adapter, but no signal. I thought it was the wireless adapter so I bought a new one. Same problem. It worked fine until Oct. 22 -- last update.
curiousmark
Nov 8, 2008 at 10:23:56 PM  |  #7
[Archived]  
Could it be the router? If two adapter get no signal, perhaps the router is failed.
0 followers
Nov 9, 2008 at 6:14:30 PM  |  #8
Re: wireless network adapter (part 1)
[Archived]  
I've got a heart beat here! Problem solved. Changing the channel worked. That was the one thing I hadn't tried. Thanks CuriousMark.

To all that are having similar problems....

My system consists of a Dlink DI-524 router, a Tivo Series 2 w/ the Tivo wireless adapter, a laptop with a DWL-G640 wireless card, a desktop PC using one of the router's hardlines, an HP printer hooked up to the router's hardline, and occasionally another laptop connected to the router's hardline.

Router setup (was) as follows:
Mode setting: mix mode
Channel: auto select (it appeared to be selecting channel 6)
SSID Broadcast: enabled
Security: WPA-PSK
Beacan interval: 100
RTS threshold: 2346
DTIM interval: 1
TX rates: auto
Preamble type: short
transmit power: 50% (15dBm)

For several years, my system worked just fine, although I wasn't using the Tivo wireless functions very much until this past year. Recently, I began doing a lot more downloading and tivo-to-PC transfers. In the past, I experience minor (annoying) issues with the tivo wireless adapter. Namely, it would work fine and then "think" it wasn't connected, despite showing 98% signal strength. Sometimes this would happen every couple of weeks, other times it would go months w/o problems. It was usually fixed by unplugging the adapter, waiting a few seconds, and plugging it back in. If it got really hosed, I would restart Tivo and it would work fine. I did notice that using my wireless laptop in the same room often would cause problems (most likely due to collisions that the tivo adapter can't handle (great design, eh).

At the end of October, the wireless adapter stopped functioning. Tivo would recognize the adapter and provide the MAC ID. However, it would say there was no signal and no IP address. I bought a new Tivo adapter and the same problem existed. Since all other wireless and hardwired connections to the router were working, I suspected Tivo as the problem. I tried many things including the following (with my wireless laptop turned off):

unplugging adapter and plugging back in
restarting tivo (soft boot)
unplugging tivo (hard boot)
restarting router
increased router power to 100% (17dBm)
changed router mode setting to G mode
re-entered the network settings in Tivo (note: tivo could not see ANY network)

Using my wireless laptop, I confirmed that my wireless connection was working properly. I also verified that I could see a dozen or more networks in my area. Again, this all pointed back to Tivo as the problem.

CuriousMark suggested using a different router channel. Today, I did the following:
1) changed router channel from auto select to channel 1
2) unplugged the tivo adapter
3) restarted tivo
4) waited until tivo was done rebooting (I know, this means waiting 15 minutes or so)
5) plugging the tivo adapter back in

(continued....)
0 followers
Nov 9, 2008 at 6:17:08 PM  |  #9
Re: wireless network adapter (part 2)
[Archived]  
(continuation...)

I waited a few seconds and still nothing. I then moved the antenna back and forth. Then I noticed my signal strength was back to 98% and an IP address was established. Note the antenna was at a 90 degree angle at this point. Moving its position would increase or decrease the signal strength. I was now able to connect to the tivo service.

Checking the Network Status shows the following:
MAC ID: (the adapters ID is shown)
Mode: Infrastructure
SSID: (the network name is shown)
Channel: 1
Signal strength: 98% (excellent)
Wireless security: WPA-PSK TKIP
...and all IP address stuff is displayed and is valid

Being an Electrical Engineer, I wanted to troubleshoot some more. I changed my router (back) to channel 6. At first it appeared to be working okay, but after about a minute, I lost the signal again and the Channel setting on Tivo displayed 0. Signal was back to "none". I then tried channel 2. After a couple of minutes, the signal was reaquired and Tivo showed channel 2 with 98% signal.

So, for whatever reason, Tivo no longer likes channel 6. This could be for a few different reasons. I did notice that my neighbor's network is showing up as a fairly strong signal. It could be that Tivo's network adapter and drivers su*k when it comes to colliding signals. It is possible that the signals from nearby networks are interferring with the signals from my network and Tivo can't figure out what to do. Changing the router channel elminates the conflict. This seems likely since I had previously noticed problems when my laptop was in the same room as Tivo (i.e. my laptop-to-router communication was colliding with the tivo-to-router communication). IMO, this is just poor design on tivo's part considering my laptop never showed any signs of problems.

Bottom line, if your tivo wireless adapter had always worked before and now suddenly doesn't AND you are confident your router works fine, then you most likely need to play with router settings until tivo works again. You may need to reboot tivo or unplug the adapter for each setting you try. If still no luck, I would suggest buying a hardwired USB adapter. This would eliminate any RF issues.

Good luck and I hope this information is useful.
5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
(Last Login: Nov 10, 2008 at 1:04:22 PM) giorgiomk
0 followers
Nov 10, 2008 at 1:35:53 PM  |  #10
[Archived]  
Thanks for the post...had been struggling with this issue for a few days. Changed the channel in my router to channel 1 and it connected immediately. My last connection was on 11/30. Has TIVO addressed this wireless adapter issue? It seems it is not just a random issue.
curiousmark
Nov 10, 2008 at 4:35:39 PM  |  #11
[Archived]  
If a channel change fixed it, then it is most likely that the cause of your problem was not an adapter fault at all. I would bet you donut that you have a neighbor who just set up a wireless network and set it up right on top of yours by picking the same channel instead of looking for a quiet one.
(Last Login: May 14, 2010 at 2:27:06 PM) rsychu
0 followers
Apr 24, 2009 at 5:25:46 PM  |  #12
[Archived]  

It works....

I have been having the same exect issue with the tivo adaptor not being able to pull in and IP address from DHCP. 
I followed these steps and it works!  Just dont forget to go back into your tivo settings and REDO the network settings, this will pull in a NEW IP address.  If you do not REDO the settings, it will keep trying to pull in the OLD IP address and it will not work.

I am thinking this will happen again, will EVERYONE adding new wireless router all the time!

Thanks KPI, really helpful instructions.....

(Last Login: Feb 23, 2013 at 1:42:20 AM) chakk
0 followers
Apr 25, 2009 at 3:19:14 AM  |  #13
[Archived]  

It is always a good idea to "check your wireless environment" to see what other routers are in your neighborhood, what channels they are on, and how strong their signals appear inside your house.  You can usually check this with a command like "view available networks" in the wireless software on your computer.

Then, choose a channel for your router that is as "far away" as possible from the channels with strong signals from other routers in your neighborhood.  Most routers are set to default to channel 6, so lots of folks in the same neighborhood can wind up on Channel 6.   Some of the newer routers automatically search for strong pre-existing signals and choose another channel for their own signal.

I run several "access point" signal repeaters in my home, due to problems getting a strong signal from the single router upstairs into the nooks and crannies of rooms downstairs.  As a result, my neighbors and I have fallen into an "unwritten agreement" that I use even-numbered channels and odd-numbered channels and everyone is happy.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1554
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS