At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:06:19 PM) jrm01
jrm01
Re: A cable card for Tivo series 2?
Jul 6, 2008 at 11:09:15 PM  |  #1
[Archived]  
Only the HD versions of Tivo use cablecards (Tivo HD and S3) and with these installed will replace the cablebox.

All other TiVos (including the S2 DT) require the cablebox to receive the cable digital channels.

Therefore, you should proceed setting it up as the diagrams suggest, not as you were misinformed by CCity.
(Last Login: Jan 12, 2010 at 11:18:15 AM) iceman
0 followers
Jul 7, 2008 at 9:38:53 AM  |  #2
[Archived]  
Thank you.
(Last Login: Jan 12, 2010 at 11:18:15 AM) iceman
0 followers
Jul 6, 2008 at 10:05:49 PM (Updated: Jul 8, 2008 at 1:11:41 PM)  |  #3
A cable card for Tivo series 2?
[Archived]  
Alrighty, yesterday I got a Tivo series 2 DT. In the weeks prior, one of the Circuit City guys mentioned having a card of some sort installed in the Tivo, because I have a digital cable box from my provider. But on Sat when I got it, it was a different guy helping me, and he didn't know anything about a cable card going inside it. He did mention however, that the Tivo could take the place of my cable box.

Well, after reading all through the series 2 book (I haven't set up anything yet), I can't find a single mention of telling your cable provider that you need a card.

I saw the area on this site about cards for Tivo HD. As I said, mine is series 2, and my provider has no HD channels.

I'm just wondering if I need this card thing for this Tivo series 2. Or if not, can I go ahead and set it up with the existing cable box as the diagram suggests?

Thanks.
(Last Login: Jul 10, 2008 at 10:58:42 PM) army wife
0 followers
Jul 10, 2008 at 11:13:54 PM  |  #4
[Archived]  
I also have the Series 2 and just recently moved and switched from a cable company to satellite. Unfortunately I did not take into consideration that the DVR will only be able to record one show now because the satellite is all digital channels and as currently set up can only read one channel at a time (versus one analog channel and one digital). I needed assistance setting mine up and during the conversation with the TiVo rep he confirmed the DVR situation but he also said some satellite providers can send you a cable to make adjustments to the system set up so that the DVR could record 2 channels again. This rep also made a comment about not necessarily needing the box anymore if I had the cables. I have not checked with my provider yet to see if this is true but I was thinking maybe that's what the guy at Circuit City was possibly trying to tell you.
(Last Login: Apr 28, 2014 at 8:35:11 AM) mawhite
mawhite
Jul 11, 2008 at 12:59:42 AM  |  #5
[Archived]  
a dual tuner tivo will not be able to record 2 satellite channels as it can only have 1 input and channel control from a sat box.

you could get lifeline cable for network tv and use the sat box in addition. this would allow 2 channels on basic tv (where most of the conflicts arise).

what they might have been trying to explain with additional cables is the ability to have 2 sat boxes with 1 showing signal to the tivo and another connected to the tv only. this would allow you to record 1 and watch another live. but you will not be able to schedule recordings for 2 channels on 1 DT tivo box with satellite.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 1000
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS