At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Jun 11, 2008 at 10:18:23 AM) samrhett2
0 followers
Do I pay cable and TiVo?
Jun 10, 2008 at 11:26:24 PM  |  #1
I am very disappointed with the DVR I just ordered from my cable company, but am very confused about how TiVo works with cable. My cable company is charging me $16.95 for the DVR and $6.95 for a digital tier. I only really watch a few channels on the tier. I could get a DVR for $9.95 with no recording features. What is the point of that? If I get TiVo, what services do I still have to get from the cable company? Do I have to pay for each digital tier or any premium channels and pay TiVo also? The $16.95 a month just sticks in my craw, since I have grown to hate this cable company anyway. Also, I read something about a cable card. What is that and do I get that from the cable company. I am sure there is a monthly charge for that also. Are cable companies allowed to refuse the sell or rent you a card, cause if they can, I am sure mine will. I don't have HD, but would probably buy the TiVo HD, since I plan to get one when I can afford it. I also have high speed Internet and assume I would have to get a router and use a wireless connection since the connection for my computer is no where near my TV. Sorry for so many questions, but I have so little time to research this and want to pay the cable company as little as possible. Thank you for your help!
(Currently online) bbasiliere
bbasiliere
Jun 11, 2008 at 12:34:35 AM  |  #2
Without know who your cable company is I will try to answer your questions.

TiVo is a digital video recorder system that works with cable, satellite and OTA (over the air) broadcasting. The subscription fees that TiVo charges are for providing program guides as well as network interfaces for all of the network features. Some of the network features are the ability to connect multiple TiVos within your household, connect your TiVo to your PC to transfer recorded programs from the TiVo to the PC to view, store or (with the proper software) burn DVDs as well as view photos and play music from your PC on your TiVo. Other network features are the ability to download movies, share photos and music and more.

Your cable company charges their fee to provide you with the programming that you order. The programming is usually delivered via a cable to either a cable company DVR, a cable company receiver (cable box) or cable cards (new to the industry in the last couple of years). The TiVo HD and TiVo series 3 use these cable cards in the place of a receiver (cable box). Any major cable company is required to supply cable cards and I think that most charge a nominal fee in addition to the cable subscription for the cards.

You are right on target to connect a TiVo to your home network. The connection speeds are much faster and with the new phone systems out there (digital and VoIP) the analog modems are not reliable.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Barry
0 followers
Jun 11, 2008 at 10:23:58 AM  |  #3
Barry,
Thanks for your help. My cable company is Time Warner, but I didn't want to mention the name of the company if I wasn't supposed to. I talked to them again this morning and they are taking $7 off of the DVR rental because they were charging me a non promo price after they sent the promo price ad in my bill! I still think it would be worth it to buy TiVo for the other sets in the house. I did not ask her how much they charge for a card, but after 12 months my DVR price will go back to $16.95. I guess I need to ask them how much a card is. Thanks again for answering my questions.
0 followers
Jun 11, 2008 at 10:27:32 AM  |  #4
Barry,
Thanks for your help. My cable company is Time Warner, but I didn't want to mention the name of the company if I wasn't supposed to. I talked to them again this morning and they are taking $7 off of the DVR rental because they were charging me a non promo price after they sent the promo price ad in my bill! I still think it would be worth it to buy TiVo for the other sets in the house. I did not ask her how much they charge for a card, but after 12 months my DVR price will go back to $16.95. I guess I need to ask them how much a card is. Thanks again for answering my questions.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 426
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS