At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Jun 12, 2008 at 9:36:07 PM) va tivo
0 followers
HD digital cable box, Humax Tivo Series 2, HDTV connection??
Jun 4, 2008 at 10:22:21 PM  |  #1
I have read through many forums. Can someone give me a simple, clear description of how to connect my Comcast HD DVR with my Humax DVR recorder (series 2) and new Samsung HDTV?

Will all channels work that way? (I understand HD shows won't record in that format.) Also, how close do the cable box and tivo need to be for that IR thing to work?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me out.
(Last Login: Apr 2, 2010 at 10:39:08 AM) classicsat
classicsat
0 followers
Jun 5, 2008 at 9:10:42 AM  |  #2
The same as with a regular cable box really, except you will also have the HD signal go from the cable box to the TV directly as well. If you need to use component, you may need Y splitters to split the audio from the cable box to the TV and TiVo.

Anything that goes into the DVR will be SD from the cable box (including downconverted HD), you will watch programming in HD direct, with no TiVo recording or trick-play features.

The blaster cable is about 4-5 feet long.
0 followers
Jun 11, 2008 at 9:01:21 PM  |  #3
Okay--I got a Y splitter to split the audio from the cable box to the TV and Tivo.
Right now I have RF to HD DVR/Cable Box (Scientific Atlantic from Comcast in N. VA)

Cable Box to Tivo with an Audio (Red/White) & /SVideo.

Cable Box to TV with components (RBG) and Audio (Red and White).

For this part--I get through the TIVO setup to where it says do you see video? No, I do not. I have audio, but not video. It IS connected correctly. I bought new cables.

I have seen something in online help forums about changing the HD output from your cable box??? Has anyone ever done this? (Of course I called Comcast tonight to ask about this but their tech support was down and not taking calls!)

Next question--as for the IR connection. I found a cable that plugs into the IR port on cable box and I plugged it into an IR port on the back of the TIVO box. Is there such a cable or do I need to get one with that infrared thing on one end??? (Not that I am ready to switch channels without video first.....)

Please help--I am ready to tear my hair out! We miss our TIVO!!!
Thanks--
(Last Login: Apr 2, 2010 at 10:39:08 AM) classicsat
classicsat
0 followers
Jun 12, 2008 at 9:14:00 AM  |  #4
Try composite video from the cable box to the TiVo.

For IR, you need the IR emitter cable, which plugs into the TiVo's IR jack, and the other end illuminates the IR sensor on the cable box.
0 followers
Jun 12, 2008 at 4:08:29 PM  |  #5
I have tried all kinds of cords and cables. I still am not getting video showing on the tv through the tivo.

This is soooo frustrating!
0 followers
Jun 12, 2008 at 9:39:13 PM  |  #6
Re: HD digital cable box, --problem solved!
Okay, I could not get video as stated before.
I finally disconnected the cable box and the tivo. I split the cable from the wall to the tivo and the cable box. i connected each to the tv (not to each other). I ran guided setup and said NO Cable Box. It works for my basic cable which is enough. I get my premium channels and On Demand on the cable box. I can watch both on the hdtv. I am happy!! Hope this helps someone else out there struggling like I was. I have the Humax Series 2 DTR800.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 662
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS