At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Mar 3, 2008 at 5:43:52 AM) mbennett
0 followers
Tivo with digital converter box
Mar 3, 2008 at 5:51:06 AM  |  #1
I was wondering if anybody knows if my series 2 tivo will work with the new Digital converter boxes. Thanks
(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Mar 3, 2008 at 7:02:42 AM  |  #2
If you mean the digital to analog OTA converter boxes, as of right now, no. Tivo has not announced if they will support any of the boxes at some point in the future including providing guide data for them.
(Last Login: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:58:40 PM) mkk
0 followers
Mar 12, 2008 at 8:56:38 PM  |  #3
My cable service just switched to all digital, providing me with a converter. Tivo doesn't support such boxes? I am having trouble with the setup, can't get beyond channel changing hookup, since box has no such output.
pdonoghu
Mar 12, 2008 at 10:19:48 PM (Updated: Mar 12, 2008 at 10:22:53 PM)  |  #4
Tivo does not support digital to analog converter boxes for over the air (OTA). Tivo supports cable and satellite set top boxes.

What model Tivo do you have, and how are you connecting it to the cable box?

You need to use the IR blaster cable that come with your Tivo. Plug the mini plug into the IR jack on the back of the Tivo. Mount the IR blasters over the infra red receiver eye for the cable box. You can find it by shining a flashlight on the cable box front panel. I usually mount one on the top of the cable box facing down, and the other on the bottom facing up. This will send the channel change signal from the Tivo to the cable box. It simulates the cable boxes remote, allowing the Tivo to change channels.
(Last Login: Apr 19, 2008 at 3:23:18 PM) akirakaneda
0 followers
Mar 15, 2008 at 3:30:35 PM  |  #5
Pdonoghu -

Can you tell me how a DTA converter box is different from a cable box? Both should respond via the IR blaster to the Tivo, correct? Or has Tivo not set up the IR blaster properly to work with these new boxes? Or am I missing something else entirely?
pdonoghu
Mar 16, 2008 at 9:49:31 PM  |  #6
In terms of remote control operation, yes a digital to analog OTA converter box could potentially be controlled in the same manner that a cable or satellite set top box is today. As far as how are the boxes different, they are very different in the capabilities to receive programming. DTA boxes have an ATSC tuner to receive digital OTA transmissions. Cable boxes have the circuitry to receive cable frequencies and work with the cable company's proprietary system. Satellite set top boxes are similar in that they are designed for each satellite provider's proprietary satellite system.

Tivo has not announced if they will support controlling DTA boxes. In addition to needing to add the codes to control DTA boxes, Tivo would need to provide guide data for the digital OTA channels and a way for the existing boxes to enter sub channels, for example, channel 4.1.
(Last Login: Apr 2, 2010 at 10:39:08 AM) classicsat
classicsat
0 followers
Mar 17, 2008 at 11:09:23 AM  |  #7
From a TiVo perspective, the TiVo itself needs to support setup for "Antenna with box" and guide data with the "-" channels OTA boxes typically use, as well as have IR codes for those boxes.
0 followers
Mar 19, 2008 at 1:30:51 PM  |  #8
Thanks for the details, folks...I had not thought about the "1.1" channels and such that don't follow the normal patterns found on a cable box. While Tivo should have no problem setting up a schedule for digital OTA, realistically, the problem is getting the IR codes to the boxes and dealing with the specialty channels. (Of course, the biggest issue is that Tivo seems tired of us series 1 folks who don't want to pay for cable...)
classicsat
0 followers
Mar 20, 2008 at 8:33:01 AM  |  #9
There are no "specialty" channels on OTA. IR codes are relatively easy to capture and test. The real issue for OTA is changing the software to support OTA box setup and "-" guide data (not to sound like a broken record).

That said, Series 1s won't get any update to support digital OTA boxes, if there will be one, apart from new IR codes.

If you mean a "convertor" you got because your cable provider turned off their analog, that is just a cable box, and will work as such currently on all Series 1/2 standalone models.
0 followers
Mar 21, 2008 at 11:07:23 AM  |  #10
Sorry I wasn't more clear...when I said a "specialty" channel on OTA, I meant a channel like, say, 13.1, where let's say 13 is the local NBC affiliate and 13.1 is their continuous digital news channel. The issue at hand is that Tivo does not at this point have the capability either to tell a digital OTA converter box to tune to 13.1 or to tell what programming is on 13.1.

If nothing changes and series 1 boxes are not supported with the conversion to digital OTA, I suppose I'll have to get the cheap $10 cable every system has to offer by law. Don't like it, but what else can you do?
classicsat
0 followers
Mar 22, 2008 at 9:16:55 AM (Updated: Mar 22, 2008 at 9:24:53 AM)  |  #11
That would be a sub channel. All the channels on a digital transmission will have an xx.x format. For that case, the primary issue is Guided setup for "Antenna With Box", with guide data a bit secondary (that can be ported form the Series 3, if necessary), and I codes being relatively easy (they already have a process for that, it just needs minor adjustment to add the "-" channel to the process).

It is highly unlikely there will be an upgrade for Series 1s, but TiVo may have an upgrade offer to move Series 1 Product Lifetimes to a Digital OTA capable models, if that is your issue.
0 followers
Mar 22, 2008 at 10:35:28 AM  |  #12
Well, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My series 1 is great, with expanded storage and no problems whatsoever. As I just finished my master's degree and am looking for work (and have lots of loans), the last thing I really can afford is to buy a new Tivo, even if it includes my lifetime subscription. The $10 cable would be cheaper (and look better). We'll just have to see what Tivo decides to do...I'm just sorry I already got my coupons for the converter box.
(Last Login: May 16, 2008 at 2:11:21 PM) billgould
0 followers
May 15, 2008 at 9:30:57 PM  |  #13
How do you tell the Tivo to use the IR? I've got this far but when I go to channel changing it does not give me an IR option. If I set up as cable box it asks for the name of the cable box and the digital converter is not listed.
pdonoghu
May 16, 2008 at 5:22:33 AM  |  #14
The Tivo software does not support digital to analog converters yet. An update this summer will add that to certain Series 2 Tivos. Until then, some people have tried faking out the box by saying satellite with antenna and playing with the box codes. You can search Tivo community Forum for suggestions.
(Last Login: May 16, 2008 at 2:11:21 PM) billgould
0 followers
May 16, 2008 at 2:14:26 PM  |  #15
Thanks. I was hoping to do the conversion now, but I guess I'll have to wait. It's too nice out to be dinging with the TV.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 4594
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS